Brakes too sensitive?

fishn2dmax

On my last trip, we noticed when coming to slow stop, the braking action on the trailer would become very "grabby" and would almost put us through the TV windshield, even with the in-cab brake prodigy controller set to lower settings. The trailers brakes have been gradually getting more and more "grabby" when coming to slow stops? I thought it might be the controller, so I tried another prodigy controller with the exact same results. The prodigy test mode indicated all was well and current ( Amperage ) was within normal range. I verified all four wheels are braking. To do this, I pulled into an area with deep gravel to test to see if all wheels would lock during braking and at what current level would lock each wheel. I found one wheel/tire that was grabbing much sooner than all the others, but all of them seemed to lock up with very little current applied from the controller?

Just curious if someone else has had a similar issue with electric Brakes being too sensitive and grabby during low speed stops? If so, what did you find was the cause?

Netem

A friend had a problem with broken brake shoes on another brand 5 ver. This may be something you check if nothing else comes up.

fishn2dmax

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, we turned down/ off the boost on prodigy.

I highly suspect something is wrong with the left -Rear Wheel brake. It locks up well before the others. This morning that wheel squealed loudly when brakes were applied when coming to a slow stop. I had my D.W go out and verfiy it was coming from that one wheel during a slow stop. After hearing the load squeal, I decided to drop it off at the dealer to check it out ( warranty is about to expire in a few weeks).

Thanks again for suggestions, but I after the load noise coming from the wheel this morning, I decided this one was more serious than I wanted to tackle.

fishn2dmax

Update: Problem Found

On my last trip, we noticed when coming to slow stop, the braking action on the trailer would become very "grabby" and would almost put us through the TV windshield, even with the in-cab brake prodigy controller set to lower settings. The trailers brakes have been gradually getting more and more "grabby" when coming to slow stops? I thought it might be the controller, so I tried another prodigy controller with the exact same results. The prodigy test mode indicated all was well and current ( Amperage ) was within normal range. I verified all four wheels are braking. To do this, I pulled into an area with deep gravel to test to see if all wheels would lock during braking and at what current level would lock each wheel. I found one wheel/tire that was grabbing much sooner than all the others, but all of them seemed to lock up with very little current applied from the controller?

Just curious if someone else has had a similar issue with electric Brakes being too sensitive and grabby during low speed stops? If so, what did you find was the cause?

We finally found the problem. It was a combination of problems.
1, The prodogy controller was found to be intermittent.
2, Rear wheel brake needed adjustment

Replaced prodogy controller (warranty) and rear left brake shoe was adjusted. No more jerky or intermittent hard braking. :)