Good News From Ford On TPMS

BigGuy82

For those of you who are Ford fans, I just ordered a new F350 and was able to include their latest innovation that is available on 2017 Super Duty models. It is a TPMS option that allows you to monitor trailer tire pressure directly through the built in large screen in the center console of the truck. No more small LCD screens to monitor in the cab or to have to plug in.

Also, the upgrade that enables this also enables that same screen to work with an optional camera that attaches to the rear roof of your trailer/fiver. Again, no additional LCD and no additional plug in cord and hugely easy backing up.

The new 2017 Fords are made with aluminum, have a totally redesigned frame and boast a host of other features that make them a sweet pick for RV pulling. 360 degree cam system, a bilnd spot system that not only watches the truck blind spots but the toad's blind spots, a camera on the back roof of the cab that allows you to easily line up your fiver hitch or gooseneck ... the list goes on.

Full disclosure: I am NOT an employee of the Ford Motor Copmpany, I don't work for anyone associated with Ford (I'm retired) and I don't even own any of their stock. I just think these new trucks are great.

danemayer

Do you have to buy sensors from Ford to put on the trailer tires, or is is compatible with popular trailer sensors like TST?

mlpeloquin

Would have purchase a Ford F450, but in the month and half the time it took me to be ready, they came out with their new models and raised the price by 15K. Did not want the Dodge at the time, pre ASIN transmission, so I got the GMC Denali. Plenty of truck for what I need and really like it. Owned Fords, actually Mercury Grand Marques, almost all my life. Always put 159 to 179K on them before my wife refused to go through the desert because of millage. Never had a problem except one battery each and one needed and water pump. This is my first GMC and had a Chevy Camero that was my wife's car when we got married.

BigGuy82

Danemayer - Don't know yet. This truck is so new that I'll be lucky to see mine by early October. That said, it doesn't matter to me - I'll buy whatever works with it, even if Ford hits me up for a few more bucks. Having everything on a single monitor makes it worthwhile to me. Actually, my guess is that the TPMS info will come up on the control screen behind the steering wheel, just like the truck tire TPMS data does now. The back up cam will of ourse come through the center console screen.

Also, for the $725 upcharge for the TPMS/Trailer Cam kit, these sensors may already come with the unit. As I said - so new I'm flying a little blind on the details and Ford is only releasing them bit by bit.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'm going to jump in on this one.
I have been a GMC fan all of my life, almost 50 years. I have had 3 of the Duramax pickups, 2003-2500 DWR, 2006-3500 DRW & 2008-3500 DWR loved every one of them. I have been waiting for GM to release so info on the 2017 3500 truck and they are still tight lipped.

I seen a post on this forum about the new 2017 Ford F350 and thought I would check it out.
here's the website
https://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/2017/#

After seeing this and doing a bunch of research this last week. I ordered my new ford today.
I ordered a 2017 F 350 DWR Platinum package.
It will be here the end of September or first of October. I'm just hoping it will be here before our Vegas rally. If not I'll have to pick it up on our way to Jackson.
Wish me luck.

This is just some of the goodies that sucked me in.

1) 440 HP
2) 925 Foot pounds of torque
3) Get this one a 48 gallon fuel tank with the 8' bed. YES 48 gallons I had to ask 3 times to make sure. 48 gallons WOW I'm going to love that
4) 8 cameras. 6 that gives you a 360 degree view around the truck 1 in the bed for hitching and 1 on the rear of the trailer (with the trailer package)
5) Up to 6 trailer tire TPMS sensors (with the package)
6) Adaptive cruse control
7) A 6 aux switch cluster in the head liner
8) Full cab panoramic sun roof
9) the cab is 3" wider and I think it was 4" or 5" longer lots more leg room in the back seat
10) heated & cooled massaging front seats
11) heated rear seats
12) 27.5K Reese fithwheel hitch
13) Goose neck ball hitch
14) Exhaust brake
15) Bigger Axles
16) Bigger brakes
17) All Aluminum body & cab
18) The cockpit is awesome
Lots more
I love bell's and whistles and this thing is full of them.

BigGuy82

Jerrod, can I assume some of things are options? (e.g., I already have a Reese Elite hitch)

Jerrod can jump in on this also. Some of these may be standard on the Platinum - I got the Lariat

The 360 degree cams are optional
The TPMS/trailer cam package is optional
The auxilliary switches are optional
Sun roof is optional
The hitch is optional (although the hith prep puck package can be had without the hitch)

I'm sure as you go down in model designation, more of the "stuff" becomes optional - ie - the XLT doesn't have all the goodies as the Lariat that doesn't have all the goodies of the Platinum

Go to the link that jesstalkn included the go to the "Shopping Tools" tab then go to the "Build and Price" tab within "Shopping Tools". For some reason, the "Build and Price" tab on the main page kept taking me to the 2016 configurator, not the 2017.

Good luck

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can't build one online yet. :(

Here are my options
On the Platinum the rest are standard.
b952e7429016a3fbb0338d113651aeb0.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

jesstalkn - Yes you can build it on line. I know this because I configured mine that way, printed it out, took it to the dealer an he ordered my truck. Try following the instructions I left on my last post - should work.

If I could figure out how to upload a PDF, I'd attach the configuration that I generated on the Ford website.

Also, this link should take you directly there. I just went there to check and it worked for me.

http://shop.ford.com/build/superduty/2017/?gnav=header-tools#/select/

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
No info on the ford forums yet about the TPMS and whether there will be be factory preset limits that are not user adjustable.
E.g. high and low pressure alarms for different trailer tires. I have to set my high pressure alarm at 145 for my 17.5" G-114's.
The prior model year low pressure alarms have to low of an alarm setting then I would prefer. On my truck I use 5 psi under the cold pressure for the low alarm.

For those getting or just interested in the new truck, there is plenty of info on this Ford 2017 SD forum

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/

BigGuy82

porthole - great forum site. Also, I just sent this to the folks over there as no one seemed to have it - enjoy.

Attachments

• 2017 Ford Super Duty 350.pdf
    94.3 KB · Views: 39

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
No info on the ford forums yet about the TPMS and whether there will be be factory preset limits that are not user adjustable.
E.g. high and low pressure alarms for different trailer tires. I have to set my high pressure alarm at 145 for my 17.5" G-114's.
The prior model year low pressure alarms have to low of an alarm setting then I would prefer. On my truck I use 5 psi under the cold pressure for the low alarm.

For those getting or just interested in the new truck, there is plenty of info on this Ford 2017 SD forum

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/

Forgot to ask you yesterday if your going to pull the trigger on a 2017 or wait till they work the bugs out the first year.

BigGuy82

Forgot to ask you yesterday if your going to pull the trigger on a 2017 or wait till they work the bugs out the first year.

Well, I know it's not addressed to me, but I can't resist. I don't think there's gonna be many "bugs" on this one. This transition of the most popular truck family on the planet started 2 years ago on the F150 and has evolved continuously.

As for me - I ordered mine last week.

porthole

Retired

'If' I was to have ordered when the orders first opened up a month ago, there was little chance of it being delivered before mid September. Since it would not be here before the main reason for wanting a new truck (our two dog camps) there is no rush.

I'll wait for Job 2 and see what happens next January-February.

Besides, I just bought new wheels and tires for the truck ..............

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Well, I know it's not addressed to me, but I can't resist. I don't think there's gonna be many "bugs" on this one. This transition of the most popular truck family on the planet started 2 years ago on the F150 and has evolved continuously.

As for me - I ordered mine last week.

Not for you. Duane. Probably going to take you to 2018 to pull all the mods off the 2011 truck.

porthole

Retired
Not for you. Duane. Probably going to take you to 2018 to pull all the mods off the 2011 truck.

Nah, the air ride will stay, just have to put a replacement compressor on and remove the Viairs. Probably even leave the second air tank on since it has a small leak (but it is a nice stainless tank).
The rest can come out in a day, even the Titan.

The Titan won't fit in the new model, but it is a hot commodity on the Craigslist market.

IronJ

Lol..I pull all my mods when I dump my trucks as well...it's more work, but they are worth little on a trade/resell...well not all the mods...someone inherited a B&W turnover, 3" lift, bedrug, and custom bixenon headlights on my last one I sold.

Ironically I priced out a new 2017 platinum and at 74k the msrp is only like 6k more than the msrp was on my 15. ..but it already has the amp steps and better headlights that I spent 2300$ modifying...sooooo...considering all the other upgrades you get its not (imho) a bad deal....

I'm still waiting till 2nd model year...by then there will be good aftermarket support so I can waste a bunch more money on it...lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

What did you leave off of the Platinum order ?
I did the F350 & F450
The loaded F350 MSRP was $82K
and the loaded F450 was $84500
I got mine out the door for $75k
All of my other trucks I've had install the hitch.
Install the inbed plug.
Do the spray in bed linen.
Install the AMP steps
Also I've been looking into add in the larger under bed fuel tank. I think the aftermarket tank is 52gallons and is about $1300 installed but they say the in dash computer system doesn't work well with it so I haven't done it.

This truck is set up the minute I pick it up. Break it in and hook it up to the RV.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IronJ

Hmm..I dunno??.we did it at the dealer last week when I was having backup cam in mine replaced...maybe I missed something?..I'll try it online and see what up..

As for tank I have the Titan and it'd 67gallons...also ford knew people would install larger tanks so it can be modified so your computer calculates it correctly . I think I payed right at 1500$ installed

I would think on the new ones they would leave that option in the programming parameters ??.but who knows

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish