A Very Sensitive Subject - The Best Truck ... A Previous Thread Upgraded

BigGuy82

For those of you who were nice enough to recommend that I up my game from an F250 to an F350, I heeded your advice. While the F250 could pull my 3010RE and still be within the rated load and towing specs, it would have been a balancing game and I want to enjoy my new fiver without loosing sleep over how to monitor every pound. In other words, a little breathing room isn't a bad thing.​

Regarding the duallys and the diesel, I decided to stay with my original pick - SRW with a 6.2L gas. Why? The new 2017's are lighter and can haul more. The frame and suspension incorporate even more stiffness and anti sway solutions. Here's the gas SRW 8' bed specs: GVWR 4,420 lbs - more than enough to handle pin weight and truck load. Towing numbers have not been disclosed yet, but since the 2016's had a 5th wheel max capacity of 15,200, the dealer and I figure at least 15,500 for the 2017. Either way, gross trailer weight is much easier to control than pin weight. (since we only have to carry"stuff" for two of us)

I also switched out the 6 3/4" bed for an 8' - saved me 150 lbs on hitch weight (slider vs fixed). An interseting point with the 2017 Super Duty trucks - going from a 6 3/4 bed to an 8' increases the GVWR by 400 lbs. I'm guessing that's because of different springs/shocks. They probably figure a bigger bed will carry more, so beef it up.

My guess is that this gasser will kick butt and I'll be a lot happier.

Thanks again for everyone's input.​

Jv75353

Thanks for the update. Has the dealer been able to provide you a delivery date yet? I read press release from Ford a couple of days ago that gave the new horsepower and torque ratings for the 2017 6.2l engine, but I don't remember what the values are. The only tow rating given was for the 2017 F450 6.7l diesel gooseneck which was 32,500 if I recall correctly. Obviously once you get your new truck we will be expecting some photos.

BigGuy82

Jv75353 - dealer's "best guess" was 8 -10 weeks. New models, however, are always likely to hit manufacturing snags, so I'm bracing for October. That said, from everything I've seen and read, Ford has gone way overboard to make this a smooth transition. Puts me around mid to late September if te dealer is correct - he's expecting a "build date" next week so that should get me a better estimate. Ford is also being really stingy with the specs. Guess they are trying not to tip their hands to the competition.

Jim.Allison

Just got my VIN number on my 2017 RAM 3500 6.7 long box SRW 4X4 (AISIN). Payload is 4300 lbs. Will be shipped on 8/20. Could not be happier.

BigGuy82

Jim - Nice truck. Also looked at it and it made the decision on which way to go tough. Went with the Ford because of the "new tech" - 360 cams, built in TPMS/trailer cam, etc. The huge disadvantage to the Ford is the wait time because they are switching to an entirely new build.

Good luck with the new wheels.