Ceiling Fan

Donna

It doesn't seem like the ceiling fan in our 2009 3300 Big Country moves much air. Anyone else have the same experience with their ceiling fan?

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Mine is pretty much the same. Doesn't move much air. I can put it on high and stand under it and not feel much air moving. We are looking to replace it with a better one, once elizabeth finds one she likes.
Fred

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One direction the air moves down moving the warm ceiling air toward the cooler air, the other moves the air up moving the cooler air toward the warmer ceiling air. Usually up in for winter and down is for summer, but it is your preference.

Donna

We have tried running it both ways and it still does not move any air. It's good to know it's not just my fan.

jbeletti

in addition to fan direction have some bearing on what you feel and where for air movement, bear in mind that the fan blades are "very" close to the ceiling and as such, is not as efficient as a fan in our homes might be. The blades too are shorter that fans we might use in our home.

That all said, in my experience with 2 coaches with the fans, I would rather have them than not have them as they do provide some circulation albeit less than we're used to.

If you change your fan out, be careful of overall height of the fan and the length of the blades so that you do not snap them off with a slide.

Jim

theharveys

We also do not feel much air movement under our ceiling fan. However, if you reverse the fan (winter setting) it will move the air up and then it hits the ceiling and spreads out and you can feel the air movement near the walls as the air moving across the ceiling hits the walls and drops down. We find this to be the most efficient way to run the fan and you can feel the air movement while sitting on the sofa or in the chairs.

Peteandsharon

I agree 100% with Jim B. We just took our maiden voyage up through the Black Hills and were very surprised at how little air the fan moves. We also noticed that reversing the direction such that it pulls the air up has more effect. We also attributed it to the fact that the fan sits so tight to the ceiling. A fan really needs free air space on both sides of the blades. Luckily we used the furnace more than the fan or A/C but when necessary we simply used a portable fan.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
in addition to fan direction have some bearing on what you feel and where for air movement, bear in mind that the fan blades are "very" close to the ceiling and as such, is not as efficient as a fan in our homes might be. The blades too are shorter that fans we might use in our home.

That all said, in my experience with 2 coaches with the fans, I would rather have them than not have them as they do provide some circulation albeit less than we're used to.

If you change your fan out, be careful of overall height of the fan and the length of the blades so that you do not snap them off with a slide.

Jim

Been there, done that. We already snapped a blade off of the original fan that came with the coach. Left a nice gash on the facia of the entertainment slide, too. Heartland sent us a new one, we watch it pretty closely.
Fred

cgunn

HOLEY MOLEY FRED!!!
Are you saying that the original fan that came with the coach
ran into the entertainment slide like I think you are saying???
I didn't think THAT was supposed to happen!!
Whats wrong with that picture?

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Yep, that is exactly what happened. Those metal arms that the blades are attached to are pretty flimsy. Some one replaced one of the screws that attaches them to the motor and must have bent the blade down when he was holding it to put the screw in. We didn't notice until one of the blades snapped when it hit the fascia of the slide. New fan and a keener eye when closing up the slides, now.
Fred

jbeletti

Fred,

I wonder if your fan actually experienced what mine is experiencing. The fan blade screws keep falling out where the bracket is attached to the motor.

When one screw is out and the other is loose, the blade droops. That may be how yours blade came too close to your slide fascia when the slides were closed.

I plan to add Loc-tite to all 8 of those screws

One other thing to watch. On about every other trip, check the bulbs for tightness if you have screw base bulb. In my previous trailer, my fan light used standard size screw base bulbs and one backed out and dropped on my kitchen island and shattered all over.

My fan light in this coach uses a small base screw in bulb. At a fuel stop I checked on the inside of the coach and found that one of the bulbs had fallen out and shattered on the top of my wood high-low table. Glass all over :(

I am not thinking of using a dab of glue from a hot glue gun at the edge of each bulb where it meets the top of the holder base.

BTW, please tell Lizzy the jam is awesome. Had it on an English muffin for dinner last night when I pulled into a CG in Albert Lea, MN. Ruby says thanks too. She helped me eat it :)

Jim

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Our fan never worked from day one. When we turned it on it would arc and spark. We found that someone had replaced one of the screws, in the arm bracket, with one that was too long and it was hitting the windings on the motor. And we were finding screws on the carpet that were falling out of the fan blades. So the metal arm being bent and loose screws were both contributing factors to the blade striking the fascia. When we received our new fan, there were lock washers included with the hardware. I checked the old fan, and whoever assembled it did not use the washers on any of the screws. Consequently they kept falling out. I used the washers and have not lost a screw since I put it up.
Fred

osims

bsims
I have had screws back out of the fan after every trip. going to work on it this PM. I had a reputable gunsmith tell me awhile back that a drop of fingernail polish on a screw is his choice over locktight, so I'm going to give it a try.