Timbrens

BigGuy82

Can those of you who have used Timbrens please provide your opinion/experience with them? Basically, how do they perform and how do they hold up over time. I would realy prefer not to use inflatables for personal reasons. The Timbtens are appealing because you "set 'em and forget 'em", In the case of my truck, weld on a couple of brackets and go - no hoses, no locating compressors, no fittings - zip. Of course that's all great unless they don't work.

Thanks in advance!

IronJ

I had them on my srw
originally...I tried to get out cheaper than full bags...

They did work as advertised, but I ditched em after a few months..

Once mounted I only had half an inch clearance..when the truck was unloaded they hammered the crap outta me on bumps..

They are not adjustable so although they kept my rear from sagging too much I still didn't sit level and they were really "bouncy"

Maybe with a lighter trailer it woulda been ok but my bumper pull had a 1200lb tongue weight.

I don't see why they would not last a long long time though.

With that said, I went to air bags on my first f250 and have had bags on the two since and will not ever look back...all around they outperform timbrens.

If I needed a quick fix and couldent or didn't want to go the bag route they would be ok....but personally I didn't like the ride loaded and ESPECIALLY unloaded..

I run the airlift with internal bumper now and you can run them at 0 pressure so stock ride is completely unaffected ( not that my lifted dually rides like a bmw or anything)..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've had them on for several years now. Didn't to weld anything, they simply replace the OEM bumpers. I have almost an inch clearance unloaded and can't say the ride is any rougher with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

IronJ - thanks for the detailed answer. The main reason I was thinking of going this way is that the Super Duty Ford's are a totally new design, including a total revamping of the frame. This means that air bags from Air Lift or Firestone will be a ways off until they design arouind the new frame. The Timbrens I'm looking at will work because the brackets weld to the frame - kind of generic.

I don't knoiw - I might bite the bullet and wait. I just wanted to start out well equipped and not piecemeal the rig later on.

- - - Updated - - -

JohnDar - the ones for the 2017 Ford welds on. I think it's because it's a generic braket as no one has yet had the opportuniy to design after market stuff for these trucks yet.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
With the weight rating of that new F-350 you might not need the help of Timbrens or air bags.

Peace
Dave

BigGuy82

Dave - I agree. However, I am the past, present and future master of overkill. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks if it will give me even a slight improvement in ride and safety. The way I look at it - it can't hurt!

Garypowell

Bigguy, I do admire how you are thinking things through before your truck arrives. I have seen too many posts by people who have not. But on this I'd take a wait and see. You won't know the improvement if you don't experience the original nor know if it was really needed.

SNOKING

Welding to these new hydroformed frames is not recommended. Maybe these new 2017 Fords will not have the saggy springs of the past! To bad they are not introducing a factory rear air like the RAM 3500 offers. A friend has it with a really heavy MS and likes it a lot.

Chris

IronJ

If your looking at a 17 350 and ESPECIALLY if it's a dually I would wait..

1. It's not gonna sag...it may ride a lil lower but even with my 4000lb pin on my 15 it's more than adequate without bags.

2. It won't take airlift more than a month or two to release brackets specific to the 17. It's not a system redesign, just a bracket modification...and heck given the new rig still has leafs on the rear maybe not much more than a bracket adjustment..

I wouldn't want to weld on the frame...I'm sure it's fine, but anymore it's not necessary...maybe drill a small hole...but not weld.

Also, airlift HAS an auto level system...personally I don't like them..I preferr the wireless on the fly control of each bag independently...but auto level is cool

BigGuy82

IronJ - I'm not an experienced 5th wheel hauler yet, but I've also hauled large loads before and ...

1. on my F150, I'd put my GoldWing in the back and even though it was well within the truck's weight specs, it sagged ever so slightly. I know this because I kept getting bright light flashes whenever the bike was back there. The headlight aim was set perfectly with the truck unloaded. The front end lift was not much, but with quartz-halogens which are already bright, it was noticeable. Now, I could live with a few light flashes (but I certainly don't want to blind on-coming traffic), but I also know that if the lights are even slightly higher, steering control is somewhat diminished. I'm sure it was within engineering specs, but I want level, not close. It will sag some (even if it is more robust than a lightweight F150) - it's only a matter of degree. Also, it's not a dually - had one before and won't ever do that again. Great if you need the load capacity but not so great if it's also your primary vehicle.
2. I hope you're correct on that timeline. Also, it is only the brackets but it will be necessary redesign because the new frame doesn't even resemble the old one, so it's not like checking last years model and seeing if it's the same. Totally new frame design - right from scratch.
3. I agree with your welding comment. However, Timbren says it's ok and I'm not a welding newbie. Regardless, I don't want to weld anything on my brand new truck either, so I guess my option is to wait.
4. Agree on the auto-level. I want a selective system for the same reason you mentioned.

End of the day, I think it's Air-Lifts and I'll just have to wait. I thought the Timbrens might do but I knew nothing about them so figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Welding to these new hydroformed frames is not recommended. Maybe these new 2017 Fords will not have the saggy springs of the past! To bad they are not introducing a factory rear air like the RAM 3500 offers. A friend has it with a really heavy MS and likes it a lot.

Chris

Really? Saggy springs? :rolleyes:

IronJ

The factory Springs on the 250 do sag a ton with even moderate weight...I would say they are soft in the upper range...not saggy....

We all know it was a compromise on ford's part to tame ride quality unloaded...and let's be real...more and more people are buying these and don't tow much more than a bike trailer or boat...hence the onslaught of creature comforts and gadgets...

The 350 have the larger spring pack and sag way less...

Anyway back to bigguys comments, since the bags themselves sit on the axle and use the bumpstops on the block it should not be too hard for airlift to modify the upper bracket....I would think??..but hey I'm just guessing??

The headlights were another issue that I had but didn't address...

Since I modified my lights to the morimoto bixenon projectors it is imperative to me I have good aim...those 55w bulbs and ballast are BRIGHT!!!.. and I don't want to blind others, but more importantly I want the light on the road so I can use it...

I also have 2 30" led bars in my grill as well as 2 rigid e2 4" driving pods and 2 rigid 4" hyperspot pods...

Let's just say I can see fine at night now.lol

yport

I've had them on for several years now. Didn't to weld anything, they simply replace the OEM bumpers. I have almost an inch clearance unloaded and can't say the ride is any rougher with them.

What John said. Had them on my 2009 F250 V-10 and hauled my 39'er all over the country. No welding is needed as John said and 1" is the preferable spacing. Loved them! It basically made my truck a 350 when I was hauling, but a smoother 250 when I had no load.

Now with all that said ... I recently traded in for a 2016 F350 and now have a heavier 39'er. They have certainly made some nice improvements and I now haul without a Timbren or airbags and the ride is level and smooth. Just ran across country from east to west coast and back. I would hold off as I don't think you will need the Timbren.

BigGuy82

"The headlights were another issue that I had but didn't address...

Since I modified my lights to the morimoto bixenon projectors it is imperative to me I have good aim...those 55w bulbs and ballast are BRIGHT!!!.. and I don't want to blind others, but more importantly I want the light on the road so I can use it...

I also have 2 30" led bars in my grill as well as 2 rigid e2 4" driving pods and 2 rigid 4" hyperspot pods...

Let's just say I can see fine at night now.lol"

IronJ - actually, it sounds like you can be seen clearly from the international Space Station ...

Sniper

Have them on our 01 F350 dually. They bolted right on took about half an hour to install. Have about an inch clearance when the truck is unloaded. There is zero ride difference with the truck unloaded, I mean it rides like a 1 ton truck. LOL This is our 3rd year with them on and they still perform as new. They really work well for us especially with keeping the truck off the helpers launching the truck in the air after hitting bridges, overpasses and such, but sorry I can't compare them to air bags, I've never had them. If memory serves, they are available in different spring rates as well. :)

BigGuy82

Have them on our 01 F350 dually. They bolted right on took about half an hour to install. Have about an inch clearance when the truck is unloaded. There is zero ride difference with the truck unloaded, I mean it rides like a 1 ton truck. LOL This is our 3rd year with them on and they still perform as new. They really work well for us especially with keeping the truck off the helpers launching the truck in the air after hitting bridges, overpasses and such, but sorry I can't compare them to air bags, I've never had them. If memory serves, they are available in different spring rates as well. :)

Thanks for the info. The problem on the 2017's is that with the new frame, Timbren does not yet have a bolt on kit and nothing about the 2017 frame is remotely close to the 2016. Their quick way around it (at least according to eTrailer) is to use generic welded brackets that will fit on any box frame. That's where the rub is. If they were bolt on, I'd just buy a set and see if they worked, figuring if they did - great. If not, I'm just out a few bucks and maybe even be able to sell them on eBay. Welding on the other hand changes that.

Sniper

I missed the 2017 model year part, sorry about that. My understanding is it's a brand new frame design. All boxed. Nice. Perhaps you could give Timbren a call, and they could let you know what they have coming down the pike. I called them when I was setting ours up. They are good folks. Good luck and safe travels. :)

vangoes

I had them on my past two F250's and was completely satisfied with them. Both vehicles had 3/4 to 1 inch space when not loaded so they had no impact when truck was not loaded/hooked up. I did not put anything on my current Ram 3500 SRW as no spring help is needed.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
IronJ, I like my Airlift auto level system. Works slicker than the scum on a Louisiana swamp. AS to a frame re-design in '17....maybe..maybe not. When I bought my '13 GMC....I was told that the bag brackets would not fit. WRONG.....from '11 to '15 GM trucks use the same frame. Have not checked on the '16 or '17 trucks.

BigGuy82

Why don't you call Air Lift?

Actually, I emailed them on 7/1. Here's their answer:

"On Jul 1, 2016, at 9:03 AM, Coreen Edick <cedick@airliftcompany.com> wrote:
Richard,We do not have a kit released for this vehicle at this time. This will require a redesign.
Thank you."

Not very helpful, especially since a follow-up request for an estimated date was not answered.

As a comparison of customer service levels, take a look at the response I received from Kleinn Air Horns on the same question (which I asked them today - Saturday):

Hi Richard,

We do have plans for a new kit for the 2017 F-350. We do not currently have a prototype in progress, however we do have a truck scheduled for measuring the first week of August. Typically the prototyping and design takes about 60 days to go live to the public with a kit.

Thanks,

Jon Moredock
Technical Services Manager
Kleinn Automotive Air Horns

Too bad Kleinn doesn't make air suspension systems also - that is what I call great customer focus.