(FIXED)water pump not pulling water from fresh water tank

PeternLiane

It's been 2 years since we've been able to use the trailer it's a north trail 22fbs. The water pump runs. I can hear air coming out of the faucets, however there is no water being pulled from the full fresh water tank.What am I missing?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: water pump not pulling water from fresh water tank

I assume that fresh tank is full? An air leak on the suction side of the pump will cause this.

PeternLiane

I do have it closed.

- - - Updated - - -

How do I find out if there is a suction leak?

gasman

Camp Socializer

Switch the pump valve to winterize. With the pump running, force some water into the pump through the winterizing hose (I'm assuming you don't have the Anderson valve) either by pouring some water down the hose or connecting a pressurized hose. The pump could have simply lost a prime after sitting so long.

Domi

Agree with Gasman. Flip it to winterize and see if the pump will pull water. The will tell you the pump is working. Make sure the valve to the tank is also open. I had the same scare when I had that valve in the wrong position. It would suck fine out of the jug but not out of the tank. I had to open the tank valve back up.

Our North trail has 2 values under the seat. One to isolate the tank and a second to add the anti-freeze.

Good Luck,

John

PeternLiane

I wish my pump was under my seat. Mine is located under the bottom drawer in cabinets. It's a very tight spot. I'll give the priming a shot. I did put some water in the tube. Everything bubbles but no constant flow.

Roller4tan

I'd leave the pump run with a faucet open. It may take a minute or two to start flowing good.

PeternLiane

I turned the pump on again today. I have air pressure coming out of the faucet with spits of water. I tried the bucket on the other draw valve. I can not get water to be drawn out of the bucket. I did close the other valve when I tried. I let the pump run for a while. I forced some water down the but got nothing. I wonder if the pump can go bad on the intake side but stay good on the output side.

wrgrs50s

If the water heater is empty it will take a long time for the pump to fill it up before a full flow of water will reach the sink. Also, be sure all the low point drain line valves are closed. Of course if they are not you should have noticed some water under the trailer, but it's just a thought.

The most confusing part is if you are unable to draw water from a bucket, even after a prime, I would assume something is wrong with the pump. But that is only if you are certain you have the valve shut off to the fresh water tank and then the valve is open to the suction side of the hose to the bucket. Some time the off or on for the valve can get confusing, but generally on is when the valve is in line or the lever turned in the same direction as the hose it's connected to.

This may not be any help at all, but I'm just throwing things out, just in case there's been something overlooked.

PeternLiane

I watched a video this morning regarding the water strainer/filter that is between the fresh water tank and the pump. They said to inspect it and clean it out. I thought that it was worth a shot. I pulled it out tonight and discovered that the plastic top was cracked. Since the place where the pump is (is so small and tight) I couldn't see it. So the pump must be sucking in air at that point. I'm heading out tomorrow to the local RV shop to try and get a new one. I'll let you all know if that was it.

PeternLiane

Holy mackerel that was it. Since the cap to the water strainer/filter was cracked and letting a lot of air into the line before the pump. I got a new one from shurflow and now everything works. Thank you everyone who helped. I appreciate it.