Is the Anderson valve working correctly?

Alb

We just took delivery of our new 2016 Charleston. Here is my question: the fresh water drain valve was open and the Anderson valve in the UDC was in city water position, I found that water was also filling the fresh water as it was coming out of the drain when the water was turned on. Is this normal or is the valve leaking thru to the fresh water tank? I read the on forums owners manual for Landmark 365 and it mentions a line goes to the tank so the pump can also be used when city water is connected. Could a check valve be bad? Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks
ALB:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi Alb,

It's one of 2 possibilities. Either the internal check valve in the water pump is stuck, allowing city water to flow backward through the pump, or the Anderson Valve is leaking internally.

If you take down the rear wall of the pass through basement storage near the Universal Docking Center, you can do a couple of simple checks to figure out which is the problem.

Pump should be off. City water on. Disconnect the screw-on fitting on the suction side of the water pump. Most pumps have a strainer bowl on the suction side. If water is flowing out of the pump, that's the problem.

Looking at the back of the UDC, the screw-on fitting on the right-hand side of the Anderson Valve goes to the fresh tank. If you disconnect that fitting and water is coming out, the valve is leaking.

When you do these tests, have a towel handy and have a 2nd person standing by the water faucet to turn it off.

Alb

Hello DaneMayer,
I am not at the campground now but will take your advise when returning. I am leaning toward the check valve in the pump as I can turn the valve to sanitize position and still have city water in the coach and the tank is not filling. I will try the tests you mentioned when I return this weekend.

Thanks

danemayer

I am leaning toward the check valve in the pump as I can turn the valve to sanitize position and still have city water in the coach and the tank is not filling. I will try the tests you mentioned when I return this weekend.

Thanks

Alb,

If it's ok on sanitize, that actually argues that the valve is the problem. The pump output is teed to the city water feed lines. So if the pump is the problem, it would fail any time there's pressurized water on the feed lines.

Testing will tell for sure.