Tow Vehicle

Dylan

Probably an old topic, but since I'm in the market, figured I'd ask. I've been towing a 3670RL, with a 2010 F350 Diesel. I'm having problems, chasing an issue with the front end, shuttering, wheel hop, at low speeds, turning. I'm tired of chasing it. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have gotten a bigger truck, seeing the tow capacity is 15,800 pounds, and the GVWR is 16k on the Bighorn. The hitch is rated at 26k, so that's not an issue. What are people towing with, for rigs this big????? Let me guess.....DUALLY....

Last edited by a moderator:

SNOKING

Is it a 4 wheel drive truck? Sounds like it might be hung up in 4x4 mode. With that vintage you are most likely over your RGAWR. What are the axle ratings and GVWR? Chris

Sniper

Let me guess.....DUALLY.....

You would think, but I've seen countless Big Horns (and larger) 5th wheels being towed by 250/2500's. I know this isn't an REAL answer to your question, but I would indeed say you are in dually territory at 16,000#.

Safe travels. :)

kowAlski631

We tow our 3670RL with a 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (Duramax & Allison transmission). We've pulled over 25,000 miles up and down the Rockies, Sierras, Cascades, etc as well as through deserts with no problems. We did get the tow package which includes engine braking.

Dylan

GVWR on the bighorn is 16k. I know we're maxed out, but this problem I'm having wasn't always there. I've just had the truck inspected, by two shops, one which found nothing, the other, replaced the ball joint on the track arm, which did absolutely nothing. The 4x4 module was recently replaced also, along with a motor that is associated with the 4x4. Some folks say "transfer case", but I'm tired of throwing money at it, especially if based on our weights, I should be in the Dually category to begin with.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I am a big GM fan !!! You can't go wrong with any of the big 3

But the 2017 Ford is on top right now.

The new 2017 Ford F350
here's the website
https://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/2017/#

Here are just some of the goodies that sucked me in.

1) 440 HP
2) 925 Foot pounds of torque
3) Get this one a 48 gallon fuel tank with the 8' bed. YES 48 gallons
4) 8 cameras. 6 that gives you a 360 degree view around the truck 1 in the bed for hitching and 1 on the rear of the trailer (with the trailer package)
5) Up to 6 trailer tire TPMS sensors (with the package) This reads out in the dash screen
6) Adaptive cruse control
7) A 6 aux switch cluster in the head liner
8) Full cab panoramic sun roof
9) the cab is 3" wider and I think it was 4" or 5" longer lots more leg room in the back seat
10) heated & cooled massaging front seats
11) heated rear seats
12) 27.5K Reese fithwheel hitch
13) Goose neck ball hitch
14) Exhaust brake
15) Bigger Axles
16) Bigger brakes
17) All Aluminum body & cab
18) The cockpit is awesome
Lots more
I love bell's and whistles and this thing is full of them.

Bones

you may be experiencing equipment fatigue from towing. it happens. Just depends on how much mula you want to throw at it because it may simply be a combination of factors, things wearing out all at once.

- - - Updated - - -

I am a big GM fan !!! You can't go wrong with any of the big 3

But the 2017 Ford is on top right now.

The new 2017 Ford F350
here's the website
https://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/2017/#

Here are just some of the goodies that sucked me in.

1) 440 HP
2) 925 Foot pounds of torque
3) Get this one a 48 gallon fuel tank with the 8' bed. YES 48 gallons
4) 8 cameras. 6 that gives you a 360 degree view around the truck 1 in the bed for hitching and 1 on the rear of the trailer (with the trailer package)
5) Up to 6 trailer tire TPMS sensors (with the package) This reads out in the dash screen
6) Adaptive cruse control
7) A 6 aux switch cluster in the head liner
8) Full cab panoramic sun roof
9) the cab is 3" wider and I think it was 4" or 5" longer lots more leg room in the back seat
10) heated & cooled massaging front seats
11) heated rear seats
12) 27.5K Reese fithwheel hitch
13) Goose neck ball hitch
14) Exhaust brake
15) Bigger Axles
16) Bigger brakes
17) All Aluminum body & cab
18) The cockpit is awesome
Lots more
I love bell's and whistles and this thing is full of them.
I think someone is really really really excited about a new big boy toy. :cool:

IronJ

...and a Ford like that costs how much?????
Your first born, left index finger, and 4 months of scowling wife looks and remarks....

But totally worth it!!..lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I'm having problems, chasing an issue with the front end, shuttering, wheel hop, at low speeds, turning.

Might sound crazy and not knowing what's happening or how severe it is but....has anyone along the way replaced the steering stabilizer?

This what we tow our 3670 with.

Attachments

• IMG_20150419_105014731.jpg
    IMG_20150419_105014731.jpg
    807.2 KB · Views: 57

MTPockets

My advice is to not think this through logically. You should not dance around this and move slowly through the analytical aspects and reason. Simply run as fast as possible to your nearest dealer and quickly buy the biggest, most lavishly outfitted dual rear wheel diesel truck in your preferred color. You can then later totally ignore any of the prior stress points and hold your head proud driving down the road.

avvidclif

Earlier there was a link to a factory pricing sheet. I went thru it and priced out a 2017 F350 Dually Lariat Package and added what I considered I needed. No Nav system that cost $100/yr to keep updated, no sunroof. I did add towing package and locking 410 rear end and a few other things. Came out to just over 60k. Amazingly I priced a 2016 also and it was more???? Most of the 2016's at the dealers have the upfitter switches, block heater (IN Texas??), chrome package, LED headlights (1k option) etc.

IronJ

My advice is to not think this through logically. You should not dance around this and move slowly through the analytical aspects and reason. Simply run as fast as possible to your nearest dealer and quickly buy the biggest, most lavishly outfitted dual rear wheel diesel truck in your preferred color. You can then later totally ignore any of the prior stress points and hold your head proud driving down the road.
And then you become

MTPockets...

?? Lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Dylan

We tow our 3670RL with a 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (Duramax & Allison transmission). We've pulled over 25,000 miles up and down the Rockies, Sierras, Cascades, etc as well as through deserts with no problems. We did get the tow package which includes engine braking.

Do you know the tow capacity of your 2500HD?....as well as the GVWR of the 3670RL, which for our 2009, is 16k pounds. My point is, you might be maxxed out.

- - - Updated - - -

where's the Little Red Wagon?

- - - Updated - - -

absolutely on the steering stabilizer. Complete front end and all related components was checked. Ended up with a new ball joint on the track arm, which did absolutely nothing.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

you may be experiencing equipment fatigue from towing. it happens. Just depends on how much mula you want to throw at it because it may simply be a combination of factors, things wearing out all at once.

- - - Updated - - -

I think someone is really really really excited about a new big boy toy. :cool:
Dave it's like a kid counting the days to Christmas.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sniper

GVWR on the bighorn is 16k. I know we're maxed out, but this problem I'm having wasn't always there. I've just had the truck inspected, by two shops, one which found nothing, the other, replaced the ball joint on the track arm, which did absolutely nothing. The 4x4 module was recently replaced also, along with a motor that is associated with the 4x4. Some folks say "transfer case", but I'm tired of throwing money at it, especially if based on our weights, I should be in the Dually category to begin with.
The "death Wobble" is a common problem on both the Ford & Dodges (RAM) 4x4's being that the front axle is a "live" axle, where as the GM is independent suspension. There are several so called "fixes" for the issue so you may want to try the Ford Forums, or do a google search for your specific front end wobble. Of course that still is zero help if your towing over weight. Good luck.

Safe travels. :)