towing

deee2

We have a 2004.5 Dodge Ram, 4x4 diesel that has towed our smaller Jayco easily. Now that we're about to order the Bighorn 3055r come Monday, I'm wondering if this will be enough truck. The dealers are no help, we went to one today.

Anyone out there tow with about the same setup?

Thanks,

Donna :)

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I tow RVs professionally with a 2004.5 Dodge (see my signature), you should be fine. Is yours a 2500 or 3500. 2500 you'll want air bags

StevieWonder

Definitely enough truck. ditto on the airbags for a 2500 ... but I'd put them on a 3500 too for a HUGE improvement in the tow ride.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Deee2, you won't have any trouble at all. I wish I had air bags on mine but I'm not going to the expense right now cause I'll be getting a new truck in about a year.

deee2

Thanks for the input. And yes, we do have Firestone Ride Rite airbags on the truck, so my hubby says that makes it like a 3500 instead of the 2500. I think I'm just worrying a bit perhaps.
:eek:
Donna :)

Tankie

bsummit, do you know how much your 3670RL weights? We ordered one and is due here next week! TV is 2007 dodge 6.7 auto with air bags have been wondering if it is enough truck not for pulling but hitch wt. have been considering moving up to a 3500 w/DRW and if anyone has any input please fill free. Thanks

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Tankie, I have not had mine weighted so I really couldn't tell you what the respective weights are. With the air bags I don't think you will have any problems with your hitch weight. Going from a 32 ft 5er to the 3670 the main difference I noticed is the stopping distance. You have to watch your speed a little closer, especially in congested areas. My truck has a 105000 miles on it and in about a year I plan on moving up to the 3500 for the stability and braking.
Bill

Tankie

bsummit, thanks for the info. we are now in a 35ft HItchhiker all wood construction listed hitch wt is 2240 has after market gen. so a little more (plus all wife's clothes ha ha)! Will pick it up next week and weigh it at CAT scale down road. Plus we travel light for fulltimers. Don't push it on the road so I should be fine, but its nice to talk to someone that has towed this combo. Thanks again Lonnie

pmmjarrett

the main difference I noticed is the stopping distance.

I plan on moving up to the 3500 for the stability and braking.

3/4 and 1 ton trucks have the same brakes from the factory, even the duallies. Difference between them is spring rates and the sticker on the door that says you can carry more weight, and if it's a dually vs SWR you get a few more square inches of tire contact patch on the ground. I do like the stability and handeling of a dually and the fact that I have 3 spare tires if I ever had that bad of a day and have to single out.

The longer braking distance is simply due to the increased weight of the larger unit. Purely the phyisics of the weight, speed, total tire contact patch and road conditions. That's whay it takes an 80,000 lb semi truck about 350' (that's 50' longer than a football field) to stop at 60 mph on dry pavement vs 140' for a Honda Civic and other similar cars.

Increased following distances when towing is a must, not an option.

Go to a junk yard that specializes in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. Usually hard to find good front end parts but you can get all the rear bumpers and tailgates you want.;)

Stay safe

pmmjarrett

Here are some common examples of "air bags":

Firestone Ride-Rites
Air-Lift

Non-Air suspension aid:

Timbren

Both good systems.

They go between the axle and frame. What they accomplish is to restore your ride height and front suspension geometry and give you a better ride when loaded heavy.

When pulling a fifth wheel or gooseneck you usually have 2000 - 3000 lbs pin weight on average, some are even higher. On a 1 ton this much weight puts the truck nearly level and very close if not riding on the overload springs which can result in a pretty harsh ride when the overloads kick you in the seat of the pants every time you hit a bump. On 3/4 ton trucks 2-3k pin weight will make most have a nose in the air attitude which makes for poor handeling.