TST TPMS flow through yes or no

Tundra2084

We are pulling the trigger on the TST TPMS and have to decide if we want the Flow through or not. Anyone who has had or has them, can you tell me your preferred system. When reading reviews some say the flow through are really slow when trying to top up with air. Has this been the case or have you not had any problems with the flow through valves?
Also do the flow through valves cause you any concerns because of the length?

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I have the non flow thru....I selected this model as I can change out the battery every year or as needed....the flow thru to my knowledge you have to send back to the mgf for the battery change. Either way you will be very happy with this product. Remember when you are parked for a long time, remove the TPMS as it will continue to send a signal when under the air pressure....this will save your battery and you may get a few extra months of use.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have both the flow through and the regular old screw on. Flow through on the inner dual wheel.
I had the tires balanced with the sensors on. They are on steel valve stems and I have not had a problem with them.
On the TST flow through the batteries are user changeable just like the screw on.
I don't bother taking them off and change the batteries once per year.
If you are going to put the flow through on trailer tires I would not bother with the flow through. The screw on are easy enough to get off to adjust air pressure in your tires.
The only advantage I see with having the flow through is using them on the inner dual wheels.
JMHO

Peace
Dave

Dean-Pam

We have the flow through and they are slower to add air than if you used the tire stem directly, but I like the fact I don't have to remove them to add or decrease the tire pressure. The ones we have I can change the batteries without sending them back to the manufacture. I would purchase them again...which ever style you get, I highly recommend having TPMS. We have been saved twice from having an unfortunate blow out, once due to a slow leak. If you don't metal stems, you may want to change out your "metal hybrid"

Lou_and_Bette

I have both the flow through and the regular old screw on. Flow through on the inner dual wheel.
I had the tires balanced with the sensors on. They are on steel valve stems and I have not had a problem with them.
On the TST flow through the batteries are user changeable just like the screw on.
I don't bother taking them off and change the batteries once per year.
If you are going to put the flow through on trailer tires I would not bother with the flow through. The screw on are easy enough to get off to adjust air pressure in your tires.
The only advantage I see with having the flow through is using them on the inner dual wheels.
JMHO

Peace
Dave

Same set up I have and agree with Dave's thinking

dbbls59

I have the flow through and I can't get air to flow through them. They worked when new and they work when they are off the wheel but not when mounted with 100 psi behind them. I would get the non flow through if I was doing it again. Also, I had problems with enough room for the flow throughs on the duals.

Lou_and_Bette

We have the flow through and they are slower to add air than if you used the tire stem directly, but I like the fact I don't have to remove them to add or decrease the tire pressure. The ones we have I can change the batteries without sending them back to the manufacture. I would purchase them again...which ever style you get, I highly recommend having TPMS. We have been saved twice from having an unfortunate blow out, once due to a slow leak. If you don't metal stems, you may want to change out your "metal hybrid"

As I stated above, I have the flow throughs on my inner duallies and for a while it made filling these stems easier. However, just recently one of my flow throughs seemed to not let me add air to the tire because the pressure didn't increase on my tire gauge. Out of desperation, I removed the sensor and connected directly to the valve stem at which time the tire gauge registered the pressure I was wanting without adding any air at all. I put the sensor back on and found the pressure reading on the monitor was exactly what my tire gauge had indicated. Don't know why it wouldn't read correct pressure to tire gauge. I'll try again before we leave this location and if it repeats will investigate when I get back to winter location in October and contact TST if I can't resolve the issue.

lukeysh

I have flow thru. No issues so far. Love them and don't notice slow filling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

No flow through. Had non flow through on my last RV as well, but it had replaceable batteries. What a pain. One or two would have to have the battery removed and reinserted every time before the sensor would function. No problems with the non replaceable battery type. Will have to have the batteries replaced at the factory every three to five years.

IronJ

I want to put flow through on my inner duallys...do they have the cover on them, and do you have to remove it to put them on??

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We had the non-flow thru for about 4 years and had a hard time with the little o-rings so we changed to the flow thru about 2 years ago. So far we haven't had any real problems adding air.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I want to put flow through on my inner duallys...do they have the cover on them, and do you have to remove it to put them on??

Yes they do have valve stem covers.
The covers on mine are about 2 inches inside of the outer wheel, but a direct shot through the outer wheel to the inner valves stem.
I have an 8 inch piece of 3/8 rubber fuel line that I am able to slip on the valve stem cover to remove or install it.
Works great.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

I have the flow thru and they do the job, but if I were to buy new sensors, I would get the non flow thru. My compressor, Viair 450P will not work with the flow thru because the back pressure makes it think it is at 150 psi so it shuts off. I have to remove the sensors to add air to the tires, then the compressor works well and fills them to the requisite 110 psi.

avvidclif

In 14 months of using Sailuns I have yet to have to add air. Moot point as to flow thru or not. I have the non-flow thru but the anti theft covers are removed so each sensor just screws off with no tools so as easy to add air as removing a cap. If I needed to.

IronJ

I run them the same way..(no covers) on my trailer tires.....the only benefit I see on flow through is on my truck inner dually rims...they are a difficult to get at ...I've been on the fence about flow through but if a steal pops up I'll probably get a pair for the inners

Bogie

I have flow through. Yes a little slow filling, but this is not a problem unless you're in a hurry.

If you go that way and take them off during long storage as suggested above, be sure to track which tire each is on to avoid re-programing your receiver when you put them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk