Me Again

shepherds56

Sorry to bother you guys again..wife dead set on 3670RL..now trying to decide on TV. do not want a DRW, do want a 1 ton, 4x4 , automatic .which of the "Big Three" would you guys suggest...reliabilty, mileage, etc., we're getting REAL close to purchasing both.

Forrest Fetherolf

I pull a 3600RL with a 06 2500HD short bed Chevy Duramax w/6 spd Allison tranny, couldn't be happier. Didn't want a 1 ton because of the 8' bed only, didn't want a dually because of driving around town inconvenience, didn't need a 4x4 because of the extra weight, cost, lack of use driving 99.9% on paved roads. Duramax out performs Ford and Dodge.
Some may not agree...............:):):):).........It's a matter of preference.

Forrest

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout1.html

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
other than the lousy mpg, the ford f-250 is incredibly powerful and easily handles my
12,000-14,000 lbs. just get all the doodads like heavy duty suspension, air bags, tow/haul and mine is a dual cab shortbed with an auto slider which is always good to have when u arent superman forrest fetherolf, the man with all the gadgets.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Have had 3 Ford F350 duallies (90, 2000 and 2006) and now have a Dodge 3500 dually.

Had great service and reliability from all 4. Best fuel economy hands down goes to the Dodge I currently run. I do miss the cab space I had in my superduty crew cabs.

Many transporters are running the GM trucks aand like them a lot too.

I'd say pick what brand fits you best because they all make a pretty good truck.

To sum it up from my point of view on crew cabs.

Ford - Good chassis, great interior space, worst fuel economy, OK automatic trannies

Dodge - Good chassis, great engine, great fuel economy, limited cab space, auto trannies not that great although the new 6 speed auto is getting a good reputation behind the 6.7 cummins

GM - good chassis, nice allison automatic with double overdrive on newer models, great fuel economy, good room in cab

Happy hunting

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I previously towed our 2005 Landmark with a 2001 Ford cc dually. now I toe it with a 2007 cc 4x4 cc dually.The 2001 did a good job, but the 2007 does a great job. The 2007 has a 4:10 rearend and is an automatic. I also installed air bags on the truck which is a huge plus when it comes to ride and leveling the load when hooked up. Another plus was when I installed the 5th Airborne pin box on our 5th wheel.This and the airbags are a good combo.I have always owned a Ford,so I agree that it really is a matter of choice.Good luck in your decision.:cool:

StevieWonder

Any of the three will do a great job. Check historical resale values but it will be a matter of preference.

No matter what you buy, this is the best time in the last 50+ years to buy a truck if you need one. The dealers are all making some fantastic offers, especially on diesels which have lost their low-cost luster after diesel became more expensive than gas.

I've owned Ford and GMC diesels and a Dodge V-10. All were great trucks and I towed BIG-time for a decade with them. You really can't go wrong. Just find the one that "fits" your desires the best.

BTW, an aftermarket performance boosting "chip" (really a reprogramming of flash memory) can do WONDERS, increasing both power/torque and fuel economy. DEFINITELY consider installing one ... at today's prices, the payback will be short and the performance improvement highly noticeable.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I know you said you don't want a dually...however, you might want to rethink that. The real life pin weight on the 3670 is pushing 4,000lbs, and your gross trailer weight is 16,000, not the 14,000 others are referring to. That type of weight is going to max out and probably exceed most rear axle GWR, not to mention the gross weight rating of the truck itself! You really don't want to put that much weight on just two tires either.

Any of the big three can easily tow that unit as far as engine strength, etc., it's of more concern as to what weight you subject your axles, tires and suspension to. And remember, the 4x4 also takes away from your towing capabilities...you don't want to end up with less truck than you really need. Not to mention, the dually provides you with extra braking capability and more tread surface on the ground for better stopping power. I would not tow that size trailer with less than a 1 ton dually, ever, JMHO!

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I'm a dodge man, always have been. I'm sure the chevy's and fords are just as good. I don't have any experence with either one but I will have a dually when I trade next time. I want the stability the dual wheels give in pulling the 3670. My 2 cents.

holstin

Even bigger

I actually just ordered my new F450 (only comes dually) that I wont get until October because I went with the 2009. At that time I will then order my Landmark Augusta to tow behind it.

I went bigger than needed just for the fact that I know I will be wanting a newer Heartland in a few years and I dont want to run into ever having a TV that can not handle a newer model with all the new bells and whistle constantly being added. You may have enough now but if you are purchaseing something you may want to think about the future just so you dont have to replace later.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I must pass that question on to a fellow forum member who answered this questions many nights ago...

Just because the Duramax pulls better, gets better mileage, is faster and looks sharper doesn't make it a superior tow vehicle, it just doesn't. - Uncle Rog

Pasted from <//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=34153#post34153>

sidney dreyfus

tv's

Just like everyone has said, any of the big three will do a great job and it's a matter of personal preference as to which one you like. Just in case your interested we love our Dodge dually.

StevieWonder

One more thought.

STOPPING is ultimately more critical than towing. Most accidents are not from a lack of pulling power but from the inability to stop.

I'd get the truck with the BEST BRAKES ...

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I also would like to chime in on the duallies. After I get done hauling our BH down to Florida, DW takes over for the next three months and has no problem manuevering through traffic and parking. I would have nothing else than a dually with the weight you will be hauling.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Being full time, our dually is also our daily driver. This fact helps us get a little more exercise because we park in the outer half of most parking lots. Other than parking, there's really very little that is negative with a dually. Does it stop better? It certainly feels like it. I've never measured my stopping distance. Is it more stable than my previous 2500HD? Yes! Peace of mind? Priceless!

Forrest Fetherolf

Being full time, our dually is also our daily driver. This fact helps us get a little more exercise because we park in the outer half of most parking lots. Other than parking, there's really very little that is negative with a dually. Does it stop better? It certainly feels like it. I've never measured my stopping distance. Is it more stable than my previous 2500HD? Yes! Peace of mind? Priceless!

Ray,

Someone said driving a dually is like riding a bicycle with training wheels, is it true you can't lean into the corners and may tip over:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Forrest

Uncle Rog

Here's my 2 cents worth........

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4230317.html

151. RE: Ford, Dodge and GMC: Diesel Pickup Truck Tow Test (with Video)
As I read these comments I am really shocked at the responses and at the same time I am not shocked at all. It seems as though there is a pretty basic agreement that the GM trucks aren't the best work trucks even they are more comfortable for daily drivers(most of us don't need a true work truck as much as a weekend toy hauler). That the cummings is the best motor(even if dodge isn't the best truck).Ford is built with heavier duty parts and arguably the best work truck(if you can deal with the usual ford problems). So it sounds like this test was pretty accurate. Given that you can never test for every possible use that a worker will need a truck for, they did a fairly accurate test. I am a toy hauler and do not plan to abuse my truck everyday. I am concerned with fuel mileage and comfort. Someone else might need a true work truck with no frills and feel the Dodge is the best option. Meanwhile someone needs to be in the middle and need a ford. Everyone is different and based on the majority of "work" truck sales today not being used for farms and construction, this test is perfect for the average consumer. At the end of the day they are all equal. Much like marriage you take the good with the bad and find a mix that works for you. Or as some of you have stated, you default to brand loyalty regardless of value. I am no mechanical expert but the 3.73 gearing should hurt acceleration compared to a 4.10 or higher gear ratio. That why it is called a highway gear ratio. To complain that they do not have the same gearing is pointless. Most people go to the dealership and buy off the lot. Other than the dually issue, this was a fair cross section of what will be on your local dealership.

StevieWonder

One item to consider in a dually is that, in addition to the parking issues, it pretty much eliminates banking drive-thrus and a host of other drive-thru businesses like car washes. Not a big deal if you use it almost exclusively to tow, but a serious pain in the rear if you plan on using it in "real life".

flamingknitter

Hi guys - I have to chime in here. I bought my Landmark in February and then bought my TV from a very large Dodge dealership in Idaho. In fact, they claim to sell the most Dodge pickups in the US and the most GM trucks in the Western states. In doing my homework, I knew I would be pushing my weight limit with Dodge and Ford one tons and would probably end up with a Chevy. When I talked with the Sales Rep, we went over the specs of both the Dodge and Chevy and decided that the one ton, dually Chevy was what I needed. I flew and picked it up and drove it home. Handles well, looks mean and makes powerful noises at the appropriate times. (Hey, what can I say? I can't talk with any intelligence about the mechanics!)

When I took my driving lesson, the instructors were concerned about backing and maneuvering in a Chevy. Guess there have been problems. They were very surprised that it handled like a dream. Both were concerned that I would never learn to back up because my choice of TV. I did very well and have completed two trips - one over the Sierra's and one to the CA coast without any problems. I have a 1/2 ton truck but prefer to drive the dually. It is so comfortable and is very easy to drive except as mentioned earlier that drive-thru's are out.

I am on my own now and have to rely on my research. Can't depend on my man to make all the mechanical decisions. I don't have the same life experiences that a man may and so therefore I have to weigh what I read, what I hear and what I see. I have been very surprised to see that people tow with 3/4 ton SRA's trailers the size of mine. I have to err on the side of caution since I don't have any experience.

Thanks for letting me chime in.

Marybeth

sidney dreyfus

Drive thru

I don't know about that. Took my dually through the Burger King drive thru last week. I was more worried about the roof than the sidewalls. Worked out fine. Got my grilled chicken sandwich without a hitch.:)