ATF: Road Warrior - JAMES

EVANSJNT

I have a 2016 Road Warrior RW355 and we are new to RV'ing and have a few issues with our new rig that we bought a MHSRV and towed back to North Pole Alaska via the Alcan Hwy (9K mile round trip) that I am seeking answers for.
Problem 1: When I connect my hose to the black tank sanitary flush system I get water pouring out from underneath the 5th Wheel. What is the appropriate course of action to fix this item so I can use the system? I have installed valvterra blades valves for each discharge port.

Problem 2: The bedroom a/c and living room a/c are on a single 3-way switch and can not run at the same time. Would be ok to to install a double gang box with a single switch to control each unit separately?

Recommendation 1: Half bath in garage doesn't have its own vent nor does the garage have a vent. I think that these need to be added and fully automatic with rain sensing and thermostat. What would be the recommended upgrade kit to make the 3 current fans (1 in living room, 1 in master bath and 1 in the loft) to be fully automatic with a thermostat and rain sensor?

Thank you for your help with these items have a good day.

Evans Family

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you hook up the BT flush port and you get water running out. Sounds like the hose has come off at the UCD port or at the check valve. Remove the back basement wall and look at the BT flush port/connection 1st. If you have a round cover in the shower...remove the twist off cover and see if you have water running in that area.

Some owners have rewired there 3 way switches to operate the A/C's different than the OEM design. A side note, trying to run 3 A/C,s at one time, you will be drawing close to or over 45 amp's on a 50 amp service. Probably wont work.

Call HL service and find out if your coach is pre-wired to add the vent fans. Make sure you have your VIN# handy.

IronJ

I have a 2016 Road Warrior RW355 and we are new to RV'ing and have a few issues with our new rig that we bought a MHSRV and towed back to North Pole Alaska via the Alcan Hwy (9K mile round trip) that I am seeking answers for.
Problem 1: When I connect my hose to the black tank sanitary flush system I get water pouring out from underneath the 5th Wheel. What is the appropriate course of action to fix this item so I can use the system? I have installed valvterra blades valves for each discharge port.

...... sounds like either its off from the UDC or more likely a broken/faulty backflow valve......I have no idea where the backflow valve is located on your rig unfortunantly.....
Problem 2: The bedroom a/c and living room a/c are on a single 3-way switch and can not run at the same time. Would be ok to to install a double gang box with a single switch to control each unit separately?

.......there are several methods to fix this problem. I had mine rewired so that each a/c has its own breaker and while on 50amp service I can run all three..

conversely you can remove the 3 position switch completely and have access to all your units. you will still only be able to run 2 or your breakers will trip so you have to pay attention to your usage. I know several people who have just put all the wires together with nuts, removed the 3 position switch and put a block off plate over the box....

Recommendation 1: Half bath in garage doesn't have its own vent nor does the garage have a vent. I think that these need to be added and fully automatic with rain sensing and thermostat. What would be the recommended upgrade kit to make the 3 current fans (1 in living room, 1 in master bath and 1 in the loft) to be fully automatic with a thermostat and rain sensor?

since the only vent with a motor to the lid is the kitchen unit, your just gonna have to replace the whole unit for a new one with the features you want.. I believe fantastic makes a few units with the items you want...but they are not cheap...

Evans Family

answers in the above

avvidclif

If you hook up the BT flush port and you get water running out. Sounds like the hose has come off at the UCD port or at the check valve. Remove the back basement wall and look at the BT flush port/connection 1st. If you have a round cover in the shower...remove the twist off cover and see if you have water running in that area.

Some owners have rewired there 3 way switches to operate the A/C's different than the OEM design. A side note, trying to run 3 A/C,s at one time, you will be drawing close to or over 45 amp's on a 50 amp service. Probably wont work.

Call HL service and find out if your coach is pre-wired to add the vent fans. Make sure you have your VIN# handy.

The 50A service actually has 2 120v lines with 50A each. 100A total available. All three are no problem on 50A service.

EVANSJNT

All,

Thank you for your advice and insight, I will attempt the BT fix tonight and tomorrow and then onto the A/C fix this weekend. I will post back to let all know the results, also I will check with fantastic to purchase replacement/upgrade kits.

EVANSJNT

What is the UCD port? I'm not getting water from behind the shower. The water come out underneath the RV just forward of the entry between the basement and entry. I have taken the basement wall down and inspected all the fittings. The next step would be to take the wood knee wall frame out and center support beam to take the basement floor up to inspect that area. The black pipe connections are all glued and no cracks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
UDC is Universal Docking Center. So what Bob is saying is that the port for your flusher is at the UDC.
Looking at pictures of a RW355 I see that you do have an inspection cover in the shower. That would be the round cover that you can unscrew and inspect some plumbing. The anti-flowback valve for the black tank flusher is normally found behind that inspection cover.
It will have two PEX lines running to it. Run the flusher and observe the valve and fittings for any leaks.
Water leaks are sometimes hard to track down. Water likes to run wherever it wants and usually not just straight down.

Peace
Dave

EVANSJNT

Dave,

Thank you for the help and clarifying the UDC. I took the basement wall out and checked all screw on fittings from the UDC to the bypass valve, HWT, water pump, and faucets. The bypass valve in the shower is is not visible at the inspection port as the pex tubing (red and blue) is longer by about 6 inches. However I could reach up and feel the connections and tightened those as well. I ran the water for the BT flush and checked all fittings again and no leaks, now my BT is 1/3 full. The waste pipe that comes down through the basement from the master bath toilet doesn't leak either. While running the water and checking for leaks the water comes out of the front corner of the where the frame ends. It only leaks when the BT flush is operated, not when camping or hauling to a dump station. May have to pull the basement floor out to visually inspect the tank from the top or open it from the bottom. Have a good day and thanks again for your help.

Jay

rayk4e

Jay, I'm afraid you may be over complicating this problem. If there is any leakage at all around the UDC itself even from the hose fittings (say from a worn hose fitting gasket) the water wii find its way down from the UDC and along the frame and drip out at the front corner of the frame. My RW415 does that as well, because despite all appearances the UDC may not be sealed (nor should it be). Mine as a bit of separation at the bottom outside corner. Whether by design or not, it allow water out of the UDC, down to the I-Beam, and the to the ground at the front corner of the frame. One thing you could try is pouring some water into the UDC and allow it to self drain and you'll probably see water coming out the same spot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Clif, if what you say is true and I assume it to be true. Then why does HL have the switch wired so you can only use 2 of the 3 A/C's at one time???

IronJ

Yup yup...the genny can only run two....also you will prob find that the bedroom and living ac are on the same 20amp fuse/circuit...so running both may trip the breaker depending on what else you got suckling from the power teat....

Thus why I wired mine all to seperate breakers...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

avvidclif

Yep each of mine is on a separate breaker but there is only 2 120v legs so one leg has 2 AC's on it. No problem on 50A but the genny don't like 2 on a 30A breaker.

EVANSJNT

Ray,

After looking at the UDC, checking the threaded connections and adding the Teflon plumbing thread to each connection and hooked it up to city water. Rechecked for leaks and found none at the the threaded connection areas and rechecked all pex tubing connections and no leaks there either. I turned the water off and then hooked up to the sani-flush port, I can here the arm rotating and sprayer working, however after about 30 seconds the water starts leaking on the opposite side of the trailer in the front corner. Not sure if the port connection the sprayer is on this side or what was not tightened down. I will have to look at the plumbing schematic. Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it.

Jay
2016 Road Warrior RW355
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L
AirRide rear airbags w/wireless remote
Demco Glide Ride king pin
Demco High Jacker slider hitch
MorRyde heavy duty wet bolt shackles
MorRyde Xflex cross member support
TST 507 pass thru TPMS

EVANSJNT

So today I checked the panel and had a blank space so I added a 20 amp Siemens QT breaker and pulled new 12-2AWG with ground and installed a double gang box and 2 toggle switches. Currently hooked up to shore power and ran both with no issues. Still have a 20AMP spare left to use and also a 15 AMP fuse spare As well.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I have each wired to its own separate circuit as well.

BAT

EvansJNT,

it looks like we have a lot in common. I too, bought the RW355 and pulled it here to Alaska. I live in Palmer and i made the trip last November and have enjoyed the summer with our new rig.

As for you question about water under the trailer during Black Tank flushing, I too have seen this but mine was caused by my hose connection in the UDC. Even a small leak will drain through one or both of the removable covers used to feed fresh water hose and other connections. I found that the water will drain through the top removable cover and then to the ground anywhere along the underbelly.

Hope this helps.