Suggestions for Campground in South Dakota for Mount Rushmore next 4th of July Holiday

Carleen

Hello,

I thought I would reach out to fellow campers for some advice. We would like to plan a trip to South Dakota to visit Mount Rushmore during the 4th of July holiday next year. However, I have never stayed at a campground in that area. Can anyone make recommendations?

I generally stay in State Parks because I like the consistency in rules. I am finding a lot of private campgrounds in the area that will work better, so I would like to try one. The one issue I find with private campgrounds is the dog rule. We have 4 dogs and many limit campers to two. Our dogs are small (Frenchie and Bostons) and are not generally outside all at once. But, we have been turned away before. We are able to leave two at home, but prefer to take them with.

Our Fiver is 38' and we prefer full hookups with 50 amp service. This is very new to us and any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch in Hill City 7 years ago which was real convenient to just about all the Black Hill stuff. There are several other campgrounds in the Hill City area and a KOA closer to Mt Rushmore but at the time of year we went, this was the only one open. As for dogs, we only had the one at the time so there wasn't any problems.

Sniper

We have stayed at FTWELIKIT Family Campground in Custer twice http://www.blackhillsrv.com/ The owner Steve is a very good guy, and Iraq Veteran, he has been doing many upgrades to the campground since he bought it few years back. The Black Hills are very busy during that time so get your reservations in early wherever you decide. You'll LOVE IT OUT THERE! :)

Dloebrich

We stayed at the KOA last September and it was really nice. Close to the Rushmore. Clean and very scenic. Nice amenities.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We have stayed at both the rafter j bar and the Mount Rushmore KOA Both are very nice. The KOA is packed with amenities with tons of things to keep kids busy and also kinda pricey. The rafter J bar is more low key and priced according. They are both located a few minutes from Mount Rushmore/Crazy Horse and between Hill City and Custer.

Piperflyer

We stayed at Rafter J's this past June. We had a FHU site that was a gravel back in. The wifi is real slow and the TV channels are pretty limited. To do laundry is expensive at $3.00 a load. Other than that it is a nice Park. We did stop at the Rushmore KOA to check it out and it is one of the nicer KOA I have seen. Would recommend either place.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We stayed at the Big Pine Campground in Custer a couple of years ago . . . only about a 20 minute drive to Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore.

Great place and we will stay there again next time we stay in that area (possibly next year).

http://www.bigpinecampground.com/smaltolarg/photos.html

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg

SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg

SDDevilsTower-IMG_0556.jpg

SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg

SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg

As has already been mentioned . . . book you spot ASAP or you may have a hard time finding a spot!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I can give you another "recommended or not recommended" in another couple of weeks. We are scheduled to stay at Horse Thief Campground in Hill City, SD for 10 days next month. I'll let you know what it is like once we stay there.

We just got home from a trip to Rushmore and the Tetons. Stayed at Big Pine Campground in Custer. If you can, get sites all the way to the back of the campground. Great views, deer passing through the meadow. The owners are very nice and seem really concerned for their campers. Had a great time.

Carleen

Nice suggestions! Looking to book this weekend. I figure I can't get choice spots because I'm a little late in booking. Go figure! I'm saying I'm late and it's a year in advance. What is this world coming to!?

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We just got home from a trip to Rushmore and the Tetons. Stayed at Big Pine Campground in Custer. If you can, get sites all the way to the back of the campground. Great views, deer passing through the meadow. The owners are very nice and seem really concerned for their campers. Had a great time.

We were in site #3 . . . right when you pull in.

But you are right . . . we drove up to the top and the sites were really nice up there.

And the owners of Big Pine were cool, too!

Our previous Heartland Trail Runner was still new when we were up there and I needed to get up on the roof to rewire the TV antenna and they loaned me an extension ladder to get up there.

They even delivered the ladder to our site!

Plus, having town so close by was nice, too!

Restaurants, groceries, Shopko (love that place) and gas stations all within a five minute drive was handy.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice suggestions! Looking to book this weekend. I figure I can't get choice spots because I'm a little late in booking. Go figure! I'm saying I'm late and it's a year in advance. What is this world coming to!?

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

If it wasn't the July 4th. weekend you would probably have more time.

padre44

Elkhorn Ridge in Spearfish is really great. Actually good wifi, cable, all paved and level sites, good views.