Tire Brand Info for 19.5" rims

LBR

Am getting ready to get new tires for my dually TV....wondering from any members running the 19.5", what brand of tires have you bought and are they holding up fine? I got 85,000 miles from the last set (Toyos front, Continental Generals rear) and can't complain with that mileage. The rims are 6.00" and I will be staying with the 225/70R/19.5 size rather than forcing 245s onto the narrower rim....Thanx, Lance.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you got 85,000 miles from the tires your dually I would most certainly say stay with the same brand.
That is if you were happy with the ride and noise level.
JMO

Peace
Dave

LBR

Thanx...I'm very happy with the mileage of all 6 and the Toyos up front, but the Generals in back had a bit of run-out since new and have gotten worse as time progressed. The company I'm looking at purchasing from can true up the 4 rear rim/new tire set if need be.

They said they have 4-5 different brands to choose from when I get there, so just getting the feel for mid priced tire brands..... obviously the high line (read expensive) tires are the safest bet and ease of mind while driving down the hot tarmac.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Wow . . .

The Firestone Transforce HT's that came on my truck have just under 42,000 miles on them in less than two years (end of August will be two years) and I am almost down to the warning indicators.

LBR

Double checked mileage on our old tires....had 89,300 on fronts and 77,700 on rears, with all being about 9 and 8 years old respectfully...it was time for these, but with no complaints.

Got our new shoes on yesterday and watched the technicians thru the entire process of exchange, trueing, and balancing all 6. Since we won't be towing for couple of months, I had them put only 70 lbs pressure for the 60 mile drive back home as I wanted to see how it drove and rode. The ride was great, especially with round tires on the bagged rear suspension for once, but the drive wasn't near as nice...it under-steered pretty bad, handled sluggish in the corners, so up the air pressure will go!

Another step closer getting ready for our Cyclone was picking up the 24K hitch. Need to do a little bit of gusseting where the bed rails attach to the frame, as I'm not 100% tickled with it now, but looks to be a simple chore for the shop.

3c089d74d6845762ecae818e9e5ef484.jpg

IronJ

I'll be interested to see how u like pulling the trailer with the 19.5...

I'm really struggling to decide if I should go up. I usually put the oem 17" wheels back on for long trips and honestly they ride great (Goodyear a/t tire)...the 17" rims just look small on these trucks ESPECIALLY a lifted one. ...

I have ridden wirh my cousin in his 09 ford that has the 19.5 and the reduced sidewall is definantly noticeable on the ride...

I wanna stick with the 32" height also so my effective gear ratio stays up

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

LBR

I'll be interested to see how u like pulling the trailer with the 19.5...

I'm really struggling to decide if I should go up. I usually put the oem 17" wheels back on for long trips and honestly they ride great (Goodyear a/t tire)...the 17" rims just look small on these trucks ESPECIALLY a lifted one. ...

I have ridden wirh my cousin in his 09 ford that has the 19.5 and the reduced sidewall is definantly noticeable on the ride...

I wanna stick with the 32" height also so my effective gear ratio stays up

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Yeah, you have a dang nice truck too!

This has been the company's landscape truck since 2005 and has had some heavy loads on her back. We've hauled our 15K gross tag cargo and equipment trailers with it and it does pretty good for an old 2003.... it has 4.88 gears and a dedicated rear air bag system (no leafs nor coils). I seriously don't think I should need to upgrade my pinbox, but time will tell.