Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Tree14

Hello my fellow RVers
It's me again. Well we're heading out to Sturgis next week fully loaded with our 2016 Cyclone 4200 4 adults , 2 Harleys and 10 days of fun,fun,fun. Well I'm thinking tpms. .. any suggestions from the massive knowledge base.?. Oh did I mention washer and dryer too 😃
Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have the TST system works great and has saved my butt once already. I do wish it had a bigger screen
426ab08b9af582fd11181f92f056e196.jpg

Garypowell

I would look at the Valor system. It is the pick of Heartland for their higher end brands and is used industrially by truckers.....I think even Disney uses them to monitor tires on rides.

The sensor goes inside so it directly measures the temperature and pressure.

Bogie

TST 507 flow through for me. It works great! I love it. The small screen doesn't really bother me. I have it placed on the dash in the center and I can see it quite well.
I like the flow through feature, but when adding air, the flow into the tire seems quite slow.

IronJ

Tst for me too..12 ( well 18 if you count my 2 sets of tow rig )tires worth...needed a repeater for my 420 and dually . They say length is not the issue it's interference. I've only had it a year so I can't attest to long term reliability. It has however worked great. I have a tire minder on my other truck...it drops signal a lot.

Tst is also super awesome to deal with...I had my system 2 days and ran over a sensor with my golf cart. They were really generous to me given the loss had nothing to do with their product.

As to valor, I don't know much..their sensors are internal which tst offers as well, but since I use 2 sets of tow tires I like the ability to swap them as needed.

Any tpms system is better than none, and while the majority on this forum seem to use tst, I'm sure the Valor ( and eeztire for that matter) would work good too..pick your poison!! Lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JJC

retired Tennessee Chapter Leaders
X2 on Valor. Use it on my Landmark and truck. I like that is has a temperature alert in addition to pressure

IronJ

Tst has temp as well...

Carleen

I use TireMinder- it was a hand-me-down and it saved me already. Has temp and pressure. Checked pressure with gauge and they have been quite accurate. The screen is small but boy does it let you know if something is wrong. I also like how easy they are to install. I don't have any experience with the other brands, so I couldn't tell you much else for comparative.

http://m.campingworld.com/browse/sk...pFUTiQU-nc6arpdf8VX_nrH6s2meiGTAYYaAgYt8P8HAQ

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

IronJ

If your buying a new monitor I would still go tst ...I have the tire minder also and it does work well...mine just fights to connect to the passenger middle tire on my trailer...and it does the same on my shorter boat trailer...

The screen is small on the tire minder as is the tst screen, but the tst screen is more intuitive and informative..

I only have personal experience with these two systems and the ford Factory tpms (which don't tell you anything except a tire is lower than 62ish psi)

Anyway , my point is/was if your shopping for a NEW system I would opt for tst (or eeztire ad I think it's the same parts diff brand) or even the Valor(I personally like the removable sensors where you can replace battery)...but that's just me..

Lynn1130

This may start a longer discussion on tire monitoring systems but I had a conversation with the manager of a large and I do mean large tire company that sells these systems and who's sales people work off of salary alone. I have known this manager for many years and trust his knowledge of tires and tire related items. He said "don't bother". Remember he sells these and is also a 5th wheel owner, camper, traveler. He said that the company gave him one to test a few years ago and long story short it was fun to watch for the first few months but then ended up in his glove box and unused. His take was change your tires every three years and never longer than 4 with super good tires with strong sidewalls and you will not go wrong. Slow leaks are rare and if you check your tires as most here do you will find that before a problem arises. Blowouts from road hazards or tire defects are almost instant and give little if any warning. Ask me I just had one because I went 4.5 years knowing I was overdue.

I have never seen a survey on how many owning these systems have been saved by them. My guess is that it is a low number compared to the number of units out there. Peace of mind is good and if that is why someone buys one good on them.

I have no doubt that this will start a "discussion" by those who own them defending their purchase but this is MHO and we may get some real numbers on purchaser/incident.

Last edited:

Garypowell

Can't disagree with lynn1130 too much as I think many of them are borderline toys. I still do watch mine.....especially before I leave and the first 1/2 hour or so to monitor my bearings.

danemayer

My TST alerted me to loss of air on a rear truck tire after I put a large bolt through the shoulder of the tire. The TST showed me an abnormal reading on a trailer tire. I watched the readout over the next 40 minutes and since it didn't change, I postponed investigation. Turned out the tread had unzipped, but the tire didn't blow. I recently had a temperature increase on one sensor. Before it triggered the overtemp alarm, a message popped up on the driver info console. Turned out the brake was energized on that wheel. If the console hadn't popped up a message, the alarm would have caught it.

There are lots of things that can happen between checking the tires in the morning and arriving at your destination in the evening.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
TST 507 and like others, it has saved our bacon on more than one accession. I wouldn't RV without one!

Rod

avvidclif

Mine may not have saved me but it wasn't for want of trying. Appx 1/2 mi from the house on our maiden voyage with the new RV the tire alarm went off. I stopped and sure enough had a leak. I eased to the house and got a jack under the trailer before the tire went completely flat. If I had been 5 mi out it would probably have been a disaster. Enuf said on that. I use it to check tire pressure before leaving moving the trailer going camping or home. You can have all your run around with a tire gauge. While I don't constantly study it I keep track of temperatures and pressures, especially in the heat.

Attached is a picture of came out of the tread. The head was flat with the tread. Not exactly a slow leak.

Attachments

• IMG_0503 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0503 (Medium).JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 44

Aandaar

I don't have one yet but will getting the soon from Minder. I have been talking with then and there new smartphone system will be available for purchase at the end of August. Wait on that as I don't want another gadget to monitor in the cad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

mlpeloquin

My old system on the class C saved me. Going through the desert it alarmed at 235 degrees and the pressure went up to 120 from an 80 psi tire. Stopped and waited. After two hours reduced the tire pressure to all tires to 110 psi and drove at 55. Got home and went to my tire dealer. He pulled the dual tires off. They looked good, but when he dug his nails into the inside side walls it was like jelly. You could see the cord. Six new tires. My sister ran them under pressured when she owned them. She used the pressure suggested by the manufacture. Wrong pressure when the box got put on.

On our fifth wheel it alarmed going home from our dealer. We had a leak from a valve stem. Saved again, and that was with a BlowMax! Good Year G614's now and so far no problems.