Pros and cons of washer dryer combo

We bought a 2015 Landmark. Our neighbor is selling a washer\dryer combo. I would really like to be able to wash in the rig. But, not sure it would be worth it. Any thoughts?

Kai and Ed Otterson (and Jackson)

carl.swoyer

Personally we have not owned a washer/dryer of any kind in our landmark. We decided on going to the laundry mat. I have heard that the combo only handles very small loads,so you are doing multiple loads and extended laundry time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've had the combo since Day 1. We'd rather relax in our rig than sit in a laundromat. The loads are smaller, but it's not a problem if you don't wait until you've got a large pile to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razorback

We installed a Splendide 2100XC combo in our Landmark this summer before going on vacation. Buy doing 1 small load per day, we kept up with the laundry for 2 adults and 2 teens the entire trip. Have no regrets.

mlpeloquin

Make sure it has an external vent otherwise it will take forever to dry the close. I purchased one and installed it. Fantastic. We now take one third of the close we used to take and don't loose an entire day doing laundry not to mention not having a lot of laundry to do when we get home.

The washing needs to be done using the wash setting only. When the wash cycle is done, open it up and shake the close out. Then put them back in to dry. For the wash I use plastic washer balls which helps the close move in the small drum and switch to wool balls when drying. Always use close softener and never leave the close in the washer/dryer when done. Don't dry shirts and pants in it or you will have big wrinkles. Shirts and pants take out asap, shake them good, and put on the hangers. They will dry in a few hours. We hang them in the bedroom over the bed on the inside slide trim. If ir is bed time, we hang then in the living room in the overhead storage door pulls. To keep things neat and clean we use Costco brand soap pods.

Two things I did for the install is to change the faucet to a single handle valve and you must put a washer pan in to protect your rig from a leak.

porthole

Retired
Just had our 7th anniversary with our trailer this past weekend.
I first used the W/D combo when I was stuck at the dealer during the purchase. Brought 3 days of clothes with me and ended up there 10 days.

Would not be without either the combo or separates now that we have experience with it. We use it all the time.

Some have no use for it, others would not be without it.
As to actual use, I would stick to the opinions of those that actually have one. They are not the perfect answer, but they are when you want to use it.

Garypowell

We have done it three ways. In 1996 we had an apartment over/under in our Travel Supreme. We were full timing and just coming out of a house did not like the smaller loads and wait time.....and we could wash and dry ay the same time.

Different rig and we used laundramats for many years. Until one night getting out of the truck to go into one a cop pulls up and asked us what we were doing there. Once we told her she said, "you aren't going to do laundry here follow me and I'll take you to one you can use"

Almost all parks have one but some are nicer than others.....that was the case above.....but since we had no idea where we were we could have gotten into trouble.

This last rig bought 3 years ago we bought Splendide (single unit) and love it. Sure small loads, sure doing laundry a lot but very convenient to just fit it into your day.

You our should be getting it for a good price and in general they are rock solid units so I'd give it a try.

Depending on your unit and set up the rig will shake a little.

One other tip we do towels and jeans in the evening and then let them dry for 2 hours while we sleep.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're full-timing or staying only in warmer climates, no problem. But if you store it in freezing winter temperatures, you MUST winterize it with antifreeze following the manual for it. Lesson learned the hard way.

Westwind

We have a Splendide combo external vent, my wife was not getting a new trailer unless she had a washer dryer. It does take longer, you must wash small loads at a time, but she wouldn't be without it she hates going to the laundry using washers that other folks have used. Some folks have bought separate units not combo's and like them better because they can have both going at the same time.
Please note, if you have one installed with an external vent, take that vent apart where it goes through the wall and silicone the wall opening inside and out all around the cut edge and then caulk the vent good, I didn't and now we have some delamination. Washer Dryer installation wasn't something the dealer did a lot of and his staff never thought to do it and neither did I for that matter.

ksucats

We have the separate splendide washer and dryer units (stacked). Wife loves them - still have to do smaller loads than what the stick & Brick units can handle but it sure cut back on what we had to take when we last traveled. With 50 amp service both can be run at the same time which we did. I've heard that those with the combo units can wash more than they can dry - as several above mentioned, they will take some out, dry some and then do the rest. Otherwise wrinkles. We found our unit to also leave wrinkles if we were not paying attention when the cycle ended so as to remove the items quickly. If you are looking at an unvented unit be prepared for a lot of humidity entering your coach. You'll need to open windows or door and in the winter time be prepared to vent that stuff somewhere.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We bought a combo for our ElkRidge, since that is what would fit. We fulltime and I work from home, so Monday and Tuesday are usually wash days. We are not small people so our clothes are big. It's taken a bit to find the right load size, settings and timing to get loads that don't have wrinkles. I've found Downey Wrinkle Release spray does an excellent job of getting rid of wrinkles if things come out of the dryer with wrinkles. A few spritz and brush then out.

Since I work from home, I'm able to do lots of small loads back to back easily. I do it weekly, and it's not near the hassle of going to a hot laundry mat!! Loads consist of 4-5 cotton t-shirts, or a week's socks and underwear, or 3-4 shorts, or 2 pair of jeans.

I can probably wash more but as said, less works better in the dry cycle. Low heat is better than high heat.

Obviously, hanging up 4 shirts at a time takes 5 min. Then reload and go back to whatever you were doing.

Folding takes less time, too. Fold on bed, turn around and put in drawers.

farside291

We have the LG washer/dryer combo, ventless. We used it for about 2 years before deciding to buy a separate Splendide dryer to stack on top of it. The combo unit did wrinkle the clothes if you forgot them and the wrinkles would be steamed in wrinkles. We travel for a month at a time with 4 of us so we have more dirty clothes and towels which made for a lot of small loads. Towels, we would just throw them in and let the cycle run. Everything else had to be watched and removed before completely dry. The addition of the separate dryer eliminated the ironing and hanging of wet clothes around the camper and allowed for washing larger loads without worrying about wrinkles. We prefer the separate units with a vented dryer if you have the space for them.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the splendide stackables and love them so far as well. We usually wash a load every other day depending on how many times we changed clothes (work/play) as I wear uniform shirt to work and usually put on shorts and tshirt at end of day. Beats sitting in laundromat using a machine no telling who used before me and having to remove their lint and "other" crap out of the lint screen. Not cool. We did lose closet space and that was DW argument against them but she has come around now.