Finally Decided on 31QBS

cargodog

Well, after studying floor plan after floor plan, my wife and I have decided on the 31QBS and if all goes well should be ours within the week.

Being trailer noobs, this forum has been great as far as reassurance from buyers that are pleased with the product, along with suggestions/modifications/towing info etc.

We've never owned and trailer, and never really towed anything bigger than an 8 foot storage trailer.

We'll be using a Ram 1500 Mega Cab Bighorn edition with the Class 4 Hitch and 5.7 Hemi, so the nice light weight of the North Trail should be just the ticket.

We're we're just about sold on the 28RLS, but after consideration for some extra sleeping space, jumped to the 31QBS.

For us the consideration was space for the dogs, and in our case, that means 5 giant sized shepherds ranging from 125 lbs down to about 85 lbs. Might do some mod work in the bunk area to provide a bit of extra crate space, and if so, I'll report back.

From reading the discussions here, it looks like the Equalizer WDH and the Prodigy P3 should be the two items I secure prior to pulling? Is there anything else I'm missing?

And is there a good spot to read on how to actually operate the Black water valve/etc so that I don't make the mistake that Ive read about a few times here?

Finally, at some locations I travel to (namely dog shows or fishing) there is no hookup. So my question is what sized generator is generally considered adequate to power up the trailer when hookup is not available? And when towing, do you store the genny in the trailer itself, or are there racks available.

Sorry for all the questions, just excited, and thanks to the forum thrilled to be getting a Heartland.

Dave

RVCamper

Welcome fellow 31QBS owner.

I have the Yamaha® EF2400iS Portable Generator. I purchased mine from Cabela's. It starts and runs the A/C just fine on ours. As far as genny storage, I put in two D-ring hooks under the kitchen table area, and I use two straps. I also reinforced the wood there too where the D-rings bolts go through the 3/4" plywood. The weight of the genny is right over the axle.

I love my P3. It is much, much, much better than the dealer installed time delay system.

I also have the Equal-i-zer hitch. I am very satisfied with this too.

irvin56

Welcome aboard

We also own one and love it.
make sure you have your equalizer and tow set up right.
Make sure trailer is level and read up on how to set-up prodigy control. they handle well for the lenght.
Make sure you have a sway control on trailer. Make sure you allow lots or room for turning corners and leave lots of room to stop.

Always dump the black water tank first and use the flush hookup to spray inside tank. when it's dumped. Then close the valve and open the gray water(sink and tub tank) and dump this. It will help clean your hose out.

Enjoy the trailer and check out the forum often for loads of idea's and info

cargodog

Thanks guys, appreciate the input and suggestions. As a trailer noob, I'm trying to make sure I've dotted all the "i''s and crossed all the "t"'s.

I'm just trying to secure the Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway control. Not that many dealers here, but I found a few online places in the states that ship to Canada (ugg hate having things come FedEx across the border - brokerage fees and duties are killers).

There is a location 5 minutes from my office that has the Prodigy P3 and can install it in my 1500.

They need need to make an Idiots Guide to Trailers so I know what the heck all the valves and stuff is for lol!

Our first trip is slated for July 12th to Woodstock Ontario for a weekend dog show (just a shorthaul trip) and then if all goes well out to beautiful PEI in the Maritimes for a long haul week long trip (and what else - a dog show). To say we are excited is a huge understatement!

With the 2400i do you have enough juice to say run the AC and a tv? Or, would I need to go with the two Honda 200i coupled that I read?

Also, I'm getting the dealer to take down the antenna on the roof, and put on an 18" dish so I can pull in Expressvue, but I'm wondering if the wiring INSIDE the trailer uses RJ6 coax cable which is needed for Satellite. And I'm curious where the second feed for the bedroom splits from?

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!!! Any others, keep 'em coming!

RVCamper

Couple of things: The Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control, is not the same model as the Tekonsha Prodigy. The P3 is an upgraded model with similar functions, but nicer display.

The Yamaha should have not trouble with the TV. Especially if it is a flat screen. I would only go with the dual ones if weight is an issue, as the Yamaha is harder to move around than two smaller units.

The TV, you will need to take out the splitter (located behind the TV booster) below the radio. & You may have cable in the roof for satelite, so you technically would not have to remove the antenna. Search other posts or ask the factory for sure.