Bighorn - Saging Front Overhang

lbarton

The area under my front closet is sagging to the point that it has bulged the exterior skin downward. This is the exterior area just aft of the pin box. I originally thought it was from weight inside (this is where the washer/drier would be installed) but the floor in that area is solid. I have no idea what could have caused this as we have never had a washer and drier-we just store household items in there. At this point the fiberglass skin on the outside under this area is about to pull out from the trim and I am concerned about traveling with it like this. Is this a common problem on this model? Is so, what is the remedy?

Gary521

This is a common issue. You can fix this by screwing the fiberglass to the supports above it. Use stainless steel screws and washers. Open the front storage compartment and you can find the support members that project out by the pinbox.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There is no support for the skin, other than at the edges and the pin box. If moisture leaks past the roof caulk or the marker lights, it can run down there and cause it to swell. Mine did that some time ago, too. Possibly from an undetected washer leak I had, or just because it could. At any rate, to shore it up, I used stainless steel self tapping screws with 1" fender washers to attach it to the steel framing above it. Once it swells, there is no remedy other than replacement.

If I decide to get around to it, I might use some trim channels with vinyl inserts to dress it up and hide the screws, but as it is, it hasn't bothered me to see it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mine did the same thing and I added screws to it. Check all the caulking all around the front of the coach. It does not a very big crack in the caulking to cause a problem.

BusManRG

This is a common issue. You can fix this by screwing the fiberglass to the supports above it. Use stainless steel screws and washers. Open the front storage compartment and you can find the support members that project out by the pinbox.
Anyone just add the screws from the get-go as a preventative measure??

Sandy

wrehfield

Just purchased a 2009 Big Horn with the same problem. It had a washer and dryer, but found no evidence of leakage.
The fiber glass had puled away from the trim. Had the dealer install new fiber glass before it left the lot. I will be keeping
an eye on it.

lbarton

Thanks to all of you for your quick response. I'm relieved it's not structural. I'll follow your advise about the screws as well as check all caulking. Thanks again! Lee

Carleen

I have the same problem- but it is worse on the curb side. My theory is it could be the hot truck exhaust. I will post pictures this weekend. Mine rippled and sagged from the underside of the nose down to the front hatch. If you measure the distance to the truck exhaust, it's not far. Just a thought to consider.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

jjwink

We had the same problem last spring as we began to hitch up to leave AZ after 3 months. We discussed the issue with HL customer service and sent several photos. They said either water intrusion or frame flex. We returned to TN and took our unit to our dealer RV'S For Less in Knoxville. They removed the entire front piece. They checked for frame flex and found no evidence of that. You could see that water had been in that area to cause the bowing but had evaporated. We had not noticed any roof caulking problems so don't really know how it got there- we did sit in 24 hours of torrential Texas rains on the way to AZ. They recommended replacing not repairing the front- under pin fiberglass piece. Their repair job had us looking better than new and attached better than new!! Kudos to RVFL🤗🤗🤗

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our Prowler sags a little bit in a couple of places around the king pin . . .

Was that way when we bought it and it was only four months old from the date of manufacture.

I just thought it was an air pocket or something . . .

I pointed it out to the dealership when we had it in for warranty repairs and was told this was normal.