2017 413 New Owner

TBONE21

Hey everyone. I bought a new road warrior today. I pick it up next week. What all do I need to buy for it supplies wise?

also any tips for taking care of it would be appreciated. Thanks

Jv75353

Congratulations on your new Road Warrior and welcome to the Heartland family. What to buy is a really tough question to answer, some items will depend on what items you already have and how you plan on using your new condo on wheels. The following items are ones we take with us, I'm sure others will chime in and offer their suggestions also. Here goes: air compressor, basic tools, volt meter, lawn chairs, folding table, grill, electrical cords (110 volt), 30 foot 50 amp extension cord, 100 feet of drinking water hose, 25-50 foot hose for black tank flush (different color than drinking water hoses), waste tank (grey & black) water drain hoses with clear elbow, tie down ratchet straps for what ever your got in your garage, blocks to place under your level-up feet, good bottle jack (5 ton), some type of chocks for your trailer tires, good tire gauge (150 psi), 5th wheel pin lock. That's all I can think of right now. Enjoy your new rig and safe travels.

IronJ

Rather than list what all I have bought (it would be ridiculously long and amusing)

Tell us what you have so far and then we can go from there in order of must haves to good to have to awesome and totally not necessary....lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Carleen

Lights- you gotta get little lights to put around your campground... LOL when we outfitted our trailer, we bought new linens, kitchen stuff, lots of baskets to organize things. Then there is the chairs, outdoor rug, grill and all the goods for the outside. I am sure you will find its not hard to come up with your shopping list once you go out a few times. All the tools and hoses from the above post are very necessary. May I recommend going on your first outing close to home and a hardware store. It seems every RV (new or used) need repairs here and there.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

LBR

Congrats on your purchase.... I'm surprised at how many large TH there are that folks are upgrading to.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Buy shoes, undies, some winter and summer coats, shirts, pants, socks, etc, etc and leave them in the coach. Unless you are having "black tie" dinners....paper plates and holders, plastic coffee cups, light weight pots and pans (store in a bottom drawer} cheap silverware. Buy some canned and dry foods and store them in the coach. You need to buy all light weight stuff. A big word of caution....don't go and buy everything you see that is neat. CW for the most part is more expensive for the same things you can purchase at Wal-Mart. All your personal stuff can add lots of weight to your camper. Buy and load carefully. Over time you will learn what you need and what you don't. Your first trip or two....keep a list of what you need to add and you will do fine. You will get to the point....you load the fridge and you gone.

BTW, Pat does not know what stuff has disappeared out of the coach. I go by the old rule "if you haven't used it in 2 years..you don't need it".

mlpeloquin

They all cover a lot. You need to have a torque wrench and lug sockets to check the lug nuts on your rig and gloves for handling the sewer stuff. If you need tools, Harbor Freight is a good place for them for the RV. If you don't have one near you, you can order them on line. You can get the blue nitrate throwaways there as well. The tools at harbor Freight are good for what you do on travel in the RV. You can purchase them in self contained plastic cases so they stay organized and easy to store.

Bob&Patty

To add to what Mark said. You really do not need a lot of tools. The main one is a #2 square bit on a nut driver handle. 90% of all screws used are those type. I bet I have a 100# of tools in the Horn and have not used more than 10% of them at any time in 10 years. An electrical kit is a good thing to have, spare fuses and maybe a some 12 ga and 14 ga wire, a 12V test light, and some electrical tape. Channel locks, a side cutter, needle nose, and maybe a small assortment of sockets and ratchets.

TBONE21

What about hoses? I see my 413 has some dump tanks in the front and some in the back. Do I need to combine them somehow? Also what lengths do I need on the dump hose and water hose?

Jv75353

What about hoses? I see my 413 has some dump tanks in the front and some in the back. Do I need to combine them somehow? Also what lengths do I need on the dump hose and water hose?
See post below for water hose length, We carry 100 feet which has been good to have on a couple of occasions. You should start with 50 feet in my opinion and then determine if you need more hose. Our dump hose consists of two 10 foot lengths that can be used together or separately. They collapse to a total length of about 7 feet which can be easily stored in the dump hose tube (carrier) we installed under the trailer. Another item you may need to purchase or make, there are a number folks on this forum that have made them.

Eglide78

I also recently purchased a new RW 413. One thing I would suggest is to take copious notes when they go over all of the systems with you. The excitement of delivery(pick up) seems to be to your brains detriment and I was left wondering what this switch was for or what position to put something in. Great advice about the first trip. Mine was 12 miles from home and my dog and I learned volumes with accessibility to home, just in case. It paid off. I just came upon this forum and have been reading everything I can as the actual owners manual is very generic. Oh yeah. Make sure you have the dealership actually operate everything on your walk around. I got home and had a leaky jack. Pinched seal on hydraulic line. Easy fix but I was annoyed at myself for not making them run the leveling system. Live and learn. Congrats!

TBONE21

Thanks for all the great replies. I will post up some pics when I get it next week. I plan to take a pad and piece of paper to take notes. I have operated rv's before but never a fifth wheel nor one with holding tanks in the rear. I need to make a setup with a y pipe I guess to get them both connected to one sewer drop. Other than that we will be all good.
I need to read on how people are storing the sewer hoses. Road warriors don't have that bumper storage so I need to make something for it.
Im also writing everything everyone is saying on here and making a list. I am going to go get all this stuff and get her stocked.

danemayer

In addition to taking notes, have someone shoot video of the walk through. Then watch the video a couple of times.

Carleen

I need to read on how people are storing the sewer hoses. Road warriors don't have that bumper storage so I need to make something for it.

I keep my sewer hose in a bucket. Keeps everything "contained" in one place and it is super easy to use and keep clean. Because you will have more sewer hose due to double tanks, you could use a larger Rubbermaid Tub. I have seen people use giant bags and it just seems messy to me. I like my bucket!

Gloves on, grab the hose end that is at the top of the hose pile in the bucket, drop it into the sewer hole, uncoil it and attach it onto the trailer. Do the opposite to put it away.

I have the RhinoFLEX sewer hose that has a nice swivel joints. The hose is too large in diameter to fit in any holder anyway, so the bucket works well. I don't take anything off- including the clear neck that is on the trailer side. I figure the less I need to touch it, the better off I am.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

Bob&Patty

YES TO THE CLEAR ADAPTER. With out it you will not know if the black tank is clean. It will take 3-4 times of filling the BT and dumping it to get clear water. When you have shore power and water....use a lot of water when flushing the toilet. I would also suggest you install the screw on Valterra gate valve on each dump pipe. The reason why?? If a piece of TP sticks in the valve.....you will get a poop shower......don't ask. More info to come.

Get 2 25' water hoses and a cheap garden hose to flush the BT. A good water pressure regulator with a gauge that flows 5-6 gallons a minute.

Buying a new coach and setting up can get a little pricey, but most of the things are a 1 time buy.

Carleen

You can also get really fancy like the Winnebago Ellipse and put a commercial paper towel and soap dispenser in your convenience center! I am actually going to do this myself soon so I don't have to run in for soap to wash my hands after fussing with the tubes.

Capture.JPG Capture1.jpgCapture3.jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new condo/toy on wheels. I'm not going to make suggestions on stuff but am going to encourage you to go to a Heartland rally near you and show off that new toy (TN Rally is just around the corner). Go or come and have fun.