EVDOalex to provide technical assistance on Mobile Internet topics

jbeletti

Hi all,

Alex from the 3G Store and EVDO Info Forums and I have agreed that Alex will monitor this sub-forum and provide technical assistance on Mobile Internet and related matters.

We do not accept advertising on this forum and we do not allow public solicitation within the forum. That said, we have allowed other entities that market products or services to be on the forum in a capacity similar to what Alex will be doing - providing input, assistance, guidance and solutions. In a fashion similar to what we allow Pat McFall to do in the Tire Pressure Monitoring sub-forum.

Feel free to ask questions of Alex in this forum. You may also email him or PM him via the forum. Myself and many others on this forum are customers of the 3G Store and belong to the EVDO forum. My experience has been positive with them. And if you are a Mac user, they are expert in that area as it relates to Mobile Internet solutions as well.

Jim Beletti
Admin

linuxkidd

Welcome Alex,
I've always been impressed with the level of commitment of 3gstore and all that work there. It'll be great having an insider offering advice to our fellow Heartland Owners.

Thanks for help'n out!
LK

jbeletti

Hi HT,

Doubt Alex uses it but the owner of the 3G Store uses them and that made me smile. Especially when I bought my Novatel EX720 express data card from them and he added the Mac drivers to my Mac and did the activation for me. Worked out well for me as I was near their store that day. They are in the Chicago area.

Jim

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
Thanks for the GREAT Welcome!

Wow. What a Great Introduction!
I promise to do my best to live up to expectations :)

As has been mentioned I work as a mobile internet consultant for 3Gstore.com and am also tasked with writing new product reviews and articles you will find on EVDOinfo.com

In addition to serving as admin to EVDOforums.com you may find me as a participant on a dozen or so RV related forums. Because of that participation, 3Gstore has helped thousands of RVers educate themselves on mobile internet, and get themselves setup with the right gear for their needs.

If anyone has specific questions on EVDO devices from Sprint/Verizon/Alltel, or HSDPA/HSUPA devices from ATT/Cingular -- or even questions on antennas, signal amplifiers/repeaters, or cellular routers -- feel free to ask me via forum post here, or PM, or email.

I look forward to helping those that I can.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Welcome to the forum Alex and thanks for your help. Now that you've opened the door, I have a question. I subscribe to US Cellular for our phone and still have 5 months remaining on our contract. Can I buy an EVDO card and subscribe to the aircard service only, or do I have to have cellular service through the aircard service provider? Thanks for your help.

AlexSian

Can I buy an EVDO card and subscribe to the aircard service only, or do I have to have cellular service through the aircard service provider? Thanks for your help.
it used to be that carriers charges lower monthly rate if you had cell phone plan with them at same time. that is no longer the case.

they've all settled down at $59.99/mo on a contract for data service, regardless of who you have cell phone service with.

-- alex

BobSue

data limits

In most of the contracts I have looked at the $59.99/mo came with some sort of data down load limit. I think it was 50 Gb? or maybe 5 Gb?

I have no feel for how much that is.

I would only use such a connection for emails, this forum, and paying a few bills etc by internet. I don't download music or movies etc. No ptp stuff either.

Would those data limits be a problem?

Some of the plans have a $29.99/mo option with an even lower amount allowed? Would those be enough?

Do you know any way to monitor what I use now so I could have a comparison?

Thanks

AlexSian

In most of the contracts I have looked at the $59.99/mo came with some sort of data down load limit. I think it was 50 Gb? or maybe 5 Gb? I have no feel for how much that is.

I would only use such a connection for emails, this forum, and paying a few bills etc by internet. I don't download music or movies etc. No ptp stuff either. Would those data limits be a problem?
For 99% of all users (RVers included) 5GB of data is more than enough per month. Here's a link to an article I wrote a while ago, that includes a chart of common web-related activities, and how often one would have to repeat that activity to get to 5GB in a month:

http://www.EVDOinfo.com/5GB

One example is email. On the assumption that a common text-only email is about 10k, then you'd have to send or receive 500,000 emails a month to get to 5GB!

Check out the article for more examples.

Some of the plans have a $29.99/mo option with an even lower amount allowed? Would those be enough?
Actually I believe its $39.99/mo and it gets you either 40mb or 50mb per month, neither of which will last long. Here's a version of my 5GB article tweaked to discuss 50mb:

http://www.EVDOinfo.com/50MB

50mb is not going to be enough for anyone except those who might only check email once a week, and only get text emails.

Do you know any way to monitor what I use now so I could have a comparison?
I've heard of many such programs and in every case, the people I've heard from comment how the carrier's claims about how much data you've used are far different than any software you can find.

The problem is, whatever the carrier says is what you have to live by!

Both Sprint and Verizon now provide ways to see data usage through the connection manager software they provide for using their devices.

-- alex

ddfarms

need surround sound hook up diagram. somewhere on here I looked at one. can anyone tell me how to get back on that thread??

jimtoo

ddfarms, we need more information. What kind of system do you have? What kind of trailer do you have? What kind of problem are you having?

Have you used the search feature on the forum, it works really good.

When you post this information, I will move your request to the proper thread.

Jim M

Kashman

Mark Lawrence
Alex I am getting ready to do the air card, I think, (yes, a MAC user, still have Windows Machines). Some of the areas that we go to have low signals, so I'm wondering if I need an external antenna and/or amp. We would also like to be able to access the internet while on the road in cab.

So I'm wandering what the best set up for me would be?

Also I'm wondering if I allow other users to access the hot spot does their usage count against my data limit with my carrier?

Any help would be appreciated.

AlexSian

Alex I am getting ready to do the air card, I think, (yes, a MAC user, still have Windows Machines). Some of the areas that we go to have low signals, so I'm wondering if I need an external antenna and/or amp. We would also like to be able to access the internet while on the road in cab.

So I'm wandering what the best set up for me would be?

Also I'm wondering if I allow other users to access the hot spot does their usage count against my data limit with my carrier?

Any help would be appreciated.
an externally mounted antenna feeding an amp that feeds a usb modem that is stuck into a router... is the typical solution for a user like you.

using a "suction mount" like described here: http://www.evdoforums.com/suction would make it easier to attach external antenna to 5th wheel and transfer to tow vehicle.

and yes, all data transmission counts against your 'allowance'.

if you're ready to get your gear, feel free to give us a call

Mariposa

Alex

Alex was at the Spring Rally in Houston. He gave me some information which turn out to be really good. I did get the cradlepoint. Something went wrong and it was replaced. Good service on assisting me to get back on line. Alex did think my Apple was being under used. It is now the main computer. Thanks to Alex.:rolleyes:
Bob

AlexSian

just a quick message to folks who regularly watch this tech thread... 'EVDOalex' no longer works for 3G store.

i plan to continue monitoring and posting mobile broadband answers, but will now do so as AlexSian