50 amp cord trips the 50 amp breaker on the camp ground box

rikreed

New trailer. Landmark 365 Charleston. This is the 2nd stop on our adventures as we travel from TX -> NM -> CO. Within 15 minutes of hooking up the 50 amp power cord, the camp ground breaker on the box tripped. I shut all power off the camper and still, breaker trips every 2 or 3 seconds after plug in. We tried 3 other breaker boxes (with camp ground manager) and they all trip immediately. So using a pigtail 50->30 amp converter, we plugged it in and that works with no issues. But we are on 30 amp service now.

30 minutes before we entered the campground, we drove through a mother of a rainstorm where I had to go 30 mph. COuld something have gotten wet inside or underneath to cause the breaker trips?

Out of ideas at present. Not an electrical guy. Just learning as I go.

Regards,

Rik

danemayer

Hi rikreed,

Do you have an on-board generator? If so, run the generator and take the 50-->30 adapter out of the loop. If the pedestal still trips, there's something wrong at the shore power connection to the trailer/power reel, or at the transfer switch, on the input side. If the circuit breakers on the front of the generator trip, there's something wrong either at the output of the transfer switch, or at the main circuit breaker panel.

rikreed

No generator. That's something we will add later. Another curious thing I noticed this morning is on the lcd control panel in the trailer, it says all things are on. All 3 acs, both water heaters, etc. But we are just using the LP water heater at present. I don't now if it is related but according to what I read in the manual, off means it is off and drawing no power.

Roller4tan

Something is definitely wet and shorting out the two hot legs of your 50 amp service. Do you have a cord reel? While unplugged check the reel where the cable connects to it for excess water or burnt connections. If no reel then check behind the plug where the cable connects.

wdk450

Do you have a separate 50 amp cable, or do you have a cable on a reel? If a separate cable, try just plugging in the cable to the park outlet unconnected to your trailer and turn on the power. This test will determine if the fault is in the cable, or in the trailer.

Does everything work with the 30 amp adapter? I am wondering if these is some sort of electrical leakage path between the 2 hot wires that are normally shorted together by the 30 amp pigtail, but have 220 volts between them with a correct 50 amp hookup.

You might want to check out any wiring in the incoming shore power path that is outside and exposed to that awful rain you talk about. Do you have an outside shore power cable reel? The rotating power connectors on the reel might have gotten wet.

danemayer

The bad info on the PCS display is concerning. You have a Power Control System that is integrated into the main circuit breaker panel.

With shore power disconnected, you might want to pull the circuit breaker panel away from the wall to make sure it didn't get soaked.

If everything looks normal, you might give PCS a call at 630-240-9832. I think you can temporarily disable the Power Control System by disconnecting the cable at the LCD display, but you should check with them to see if that's correct. If it's possible to disable the Power Control System, you can eliminate that as a possible cause.

Another place to check for trouble is behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage. You probably have a transfer switch with integrated surge protector. With shore power disconnected, you can open the cover and inspect there as well.

rikreed

to answer the last 2 posters, I have a reel. As far as it working with the 30 amp connector, everything is working. No breaker trips. I have not turned on the a/c's however. No need to in Northern NM. But everything works: residential a/c, lp water heater, lights tv etc. I'll get out and check for water at the reel source. That seems like the most likely explanation as the cover over the reel is not all that water tight. Thanks and I'll get back with the results. I was hoping things dry out over night and was going to check again this morning after it warms up a bit.

rikreed

I tried the 50 amp again this morning and same results. Immediate trip at the pedestal. So I cut the power and did a visual inspection of the wires (taking off the panel) inside the reel canister. The 4 wires seem to be dry but I'm going to leave power off and see if things dry out today as the wife and I go explore the NM Capulin Volcano.

Rik

mlpeloquin

to answer the last 2 posters, I have a reel. As far as it working with the 30 amp connector, everything is working. No breaker trips. I have not turned on the a/c's however. No need to in Northern NM. But everything works: residential a/c, lp water heater, lights tv etc. I'll get out and check for water at the reel source. That seems like the most likely explanation as the cover over the reel is not all that water tight. Thanks and I'll get back with the results. I was hoping things dry out over night and was going to check again this morning after it warms up a bit.

Disconnect the power cord from the power post. Pull all of the power cord out of the reel. Remove the hatch cover to get access to the center of the reel where the power wires are connected. Make sure that the connections are tight. Especially the white neutral. Then check the power connections at the transfer switch for the same loose connections. Finally the back of the circuit breaker box. If the neutral is loose or open, you can blow the breakers on the power pole. Ask me why I know. Been there and done that. With a loose or open neutral you do get up to 240V on the 120V sockets. The voltage will be floating up and down by the amount of current on each side of the 120V legs. The return is from one 120V line to the other. So zero current on one leg will give you 240V on the other. Any amount of over voltage on ether 120V line above 135V will stress all things plugged in on it. So make sure your neutral is not loose or open. That being said, I think your rig may be ok since Landmarks have built in protection at the breaker box. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

rikreed

ok. Did as you suggested yesterday. all connections secure inside the reel. Took a blow dryer to it for 15 minutes in case that rainstorm got something wet inside. But I saw no visible wet spots. I let it dry out and tried again this morning. still tripping immediately after trying the 50 amp.

The good news is the 30 amp converter is working and we can do anything we need to. But inside the pcs, it still shows everything is on. That has to be related. If the electrical system thinks everything is on, then that may be causing the breaker to trip.

SNOKING

In re-reading this I can not find where you tried to plug into a different power pole??? Did I miss that? Chris

mlpeloquin

A open or loose white neutral in the power pole or section of the park can cause this. Also in your power cable plug. And yes people have had to replace the cable plug on there power cable. Some have almost burned up thankfully only charred and melted. Several people have found loose power connections and missing grounds in park power poles. I have found missing power grounds in GFI protected sockets on park power poles. Grounds were present in the 30 and 50 amp connectors though, but not in the GFI 120V socket! All that being said, bad circuit breakers on the power poles have also been a source of breakers tripping. So try another site with another power pole and breakers.

danemayer

I'm betting you have a short at the main circuit breaker panel, where the Power Control System components are located. Maybe some foreign material or a loose wire. You can probably inspect by taking the cover off the circuit breaker panel. A problem in that area would explain why the pedestal is tripping and why you're getting strange readings on the PCS display.

Attachments

• Power Control System notated.jpg
    Power Control System notated.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 56

wdk450

I'm afraid you need to either get a good RV electrician, or start taking readings with a multimeter.

On the latter suggestion, I would advise you start by unplugging(of course), turning off your main inside circuit breakers, and taking resistance (continuity) readings at your 50 amp shore plug. Here is a diagram of the plug: 30vs50vsdogleg.jpg The middle plug shows the RV 50 amp wiring. A continuity meter between L1 and L2 with the RV load disconnected by the breakers being open should read NO CONTINUITY (infinite ohms) between L1 and L2. L1 to ground or L2 to ground should also read NO CONTINUITY. Neutral to ground should also show NO CONTINUITY as (by code) the neutral and ground should be bonded together in the RV park electrical supply system, and there should be no redundant points of neutral-ground bonding in the RV. If your readings do NOT match the specified readings, you need to then "divide and conquer" by disconnecting your incoming shore power cable L1 and L2 wires from the first electrical component in the incoming path, either the EMS or the transfer switch. After disconnecting within the incoming shore power path, repeat the tests at the shore plug until you get the correct results. Somewhere bad readings and then good readings should tell you where the L1 to L2 shorted component is.

Good luck!!!

rikreed

thank you and to all who replied. I gave it my best shot. Leaving to another camp ground this morning to an area that is more populated. If the same problem persists, on Monday morning, I'll make plans to have a professional look at it. I will respond back after the issue is corrected so other's may benefit.

Kind regards,

Rik

porthole

Retired
No generator.

Do you have the generator prep option?

yes. Trailer is all set up. Just need buy and install it

I'll take this to mean you do have generator prep. That means you have a transfer switch, probably behind the rear basement wall.
If your transfer switch is bad or has loose connections inside, you will be far from the first person to have this problem.

That would be a good place to start, yourself if you are comfortable working with AC electrical circuits, or point out the transfer switch to a tech who will be checking for you.

danemayer

thank you and to all who replied. I gave it my best shot. Leaving to another camp ground this morning to an area that is more populated. If the same problem persists, on Monday morning, I'll make plans to have a professional look at it. I will respond back after the issue is corrected so other's may benefit.

Kind regards,

Rik

Before you call the professional, contact PCS and ask them what would explain the incorrect readings on your electrical usage panel, also explaining the problem with the pedestal breaker tripping except when on 30 amps. They will probably be able to provide useful information that will help you or the professional correct the problem.