HELP! Fresh water fill

diesel_doberman

I brought home our new Oakmont. I was fill the fresh water tank. Then I see water over dlowing from under the camper. On both driver and passenger side I have these pec pipe sticking out running water out with the pump OFF. so I assume it is a fresh tank overflow or vent system. Am I right?
9fd654faffb1af109f9524e37fff2a80.jpg

mlpeloquin

When your tank is full it goes out the overflow lines. It will continue to flow out until the pressure in the tank has been relived. Be careful not to keep filling because the overflow cannot keep up with the flow of the hose. As soon as the overflow starts to have water come out, turn off the water.

As you travel water may still spill from the overflow lines. I do not travel with water in the tank do to the fact that Heartland built mine with 6K axles and its weigh is almost 12K on them without water. I do not fully load with food and pack light on clothing. My friend does fill his with water and he ends up with 1/2 to 1/3rd of a tank of water when he gets to his destination. Some other Heartland owners have had the same problem and have added shutoff valves for traveling. You must always remember to open them up. If you don't, you may burst you plumbing or tank when filling.

diesel_doberman

Thanks!!! We have a camp ground 10-15 minutes down the road. We only travel with the tanks full when we go to that camp ground. When we leave any camp ground I open the fresh drain valve from our TT. I WILL do the same with our FW. no point in towing the extra weight.

Lynn1130

This will help you know how much water is going into your tank. If you replace the L overflow with a shut off valve you can open the valve when filling and once it starts to flow, stop filling, let it drain the excess and then shut the valve off. This avoids driving down the road and losing 1/2 of your water on turns. It probably is not necessary on your short trip but something to keep in mind for longer runs.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P0550-Wat...d=1469897104&sr=8-1&keywords=water+line+meter

diesel_doberman

That thing is to cool!!! I have never seen those. Since I'm on here and you found that on Amazon. Has anyone found a rv antenna tag. To hang and remind you it is up? You

Lynn1130

There was just a thread that included some suggestions. Might search for "check list" I think it started with a photo of someone driving out of a park with the slide still out or something similar. One person found a "remove before flight" flag that you find on pitot tubes on planes. Someone else said they hang the truck keys there. I have a check list of arrival and departure items to go through. No good/safe pilot moves without going through the checklist :eek:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Has anyone found a rv antenna tag. To hang and remind you it is up?

They sell them at Camping World . . . http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/antenna-saver/69164

Or do what I do . . . I hang a suitcase tag from the antenna handle.

Works just as good and will save you some money since you probably have a couple of them lying around the house (I think most of us do).

Or these reminders to put on your steering wheel: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rvminders-set-of-10/66688

mlpeloquin

This will help you know how much water is going into your tank. If you replace the L overflow with a shut off valve you can open the valve when filling and once it starts to flow, stop filling, let it drain the excess and then shut the valve off. This avoids driving down the road and losing 1/2 of your water on turns. It probably is not necessary on your short trip but something to keep in mind for longer runs.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P0550-Wat...d=1469897104&sr=8-1&keywords=water+line+meter

Note that some have said that they are not accurate. I noticed that they used an non drinking water skinny coiled hose after the meter. Must be low flow and back pressure that caused the inaccurate reading. I purchased one and tested it using a five gallon bucket. Filled it five times and it was very accurate. Great to have. I use it when I purify the tank and water system. Very little overflow that way.

Sniper

That thing is to cool!!! I have never seen those. Since I'm on here and you found that on Amazon. Has anyone found a rv antenna tag. To hang and remind you it is up? You
I hang my truck keys on on the antenna handle as soon as i raise it. I've never left with the antenna up. :)