2008 F-350

Corin1110

Keith and I are considering trading in our 2001 Dodge RAM for an 08 F-350. Does anyone have experience with the F-350 one way or the other?

JimandSina

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins diesel and the 6 speed automatic and can tell you that it pulls a fully loaded 2009 Heartland Cyclone 3950 with ease, and it came stock with an exhaust brake that has shown to be useful when descending a steep grade, just my 2 cents worth.
Jim

christianson

I have a 2008 F- 350 dually I realy like it this our 3rd F-350 diesel the other 2 were 6.0 a 2003 & 2005 had turbo problems with both our 2008 has the 4.10 gears has good power we can pull in cruise control most of the time it dose a better job in overdrive then ether of 6.0- did we can pull at 60 miles an hour in cruise it is a bit harder on feul we get 9.5 to 10 miles to gallon but has lot more power Ford offer some options that you can't get in ether GM or Dodge that is what made my desision to by a Ford I have had 5 super dutys since 99 V-10 F-250 single rear 01 7.3 F-350 single rear 03 , 05 , 08 F-350 dually We pull 07 3055 Bighorn.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I have a '08 F350 crewcab lwb 4x4 with single rear wheels and love the way it pulls our '09 Big Horn 3055. The 350 hp dual turbo 6.4 has plenty of power and is stable pulling. The fuel mileage is nothing to brag about but I love mine.

StevieWonder

I owned the previous generation F350, a fire-engine red dually. It was the best truck I've ever owned. It had a ride that rivaled large luxo-cars that I've owned and had pretty good fuel mileage. My fuel dramatically improved when I "chipped" it. I'd strongly recommend a quality diesel programming device on any diesel truck. It will NOT void your warranty (and if you're afraid of that, then you can easily deprogram it back to stock with no tracks), but it WILL increase both your power and your fuel mileage, a dichotomy but true.

Superduty

Grand Canyon
I have a 2008 F350 CC LWB DWR Job 3 build Dark Blue Pearl w/chrome package. I tried to get the 4:30 gears. But could not.. I guess with the Job 3 it has to be a special order. Truck came with 3:73. But I am glad I did not get the 4:30 gears, as my fuel mileage is not the greatest. On average pulling about 8.5-9.5, I usually run between 65-75 mph. Unloaded traveling same speed about 13-14 mpg. Have about 2200 miles on it.. With about 1900 pulling our 3670rl. Pulls great and the stability of the Dual rear wheels can not be beat. Especially in the wind ( and we know it's never windy when we have a long hard day of pulling.:rolleyes:) Only complaint is I like to keep it clean and not to many car washes can handle a dually...

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I think the F-350 Will do a fine job for most as well as any of the big three's heavy duty trucks. I pull with a Chevy Silverado 3500 with duel wheels and couldn't be happier, I have also owned Ford products through the years and was happy with those also. Just pick the truck that suits you with the options that you like and you will most likely be happy with it. They have all had some problems through the years but I believe any one of them will work with you to resolve any problem that you may have. Not sure about adding a chip or programmer as they could be reason to void your warranty and I have never felt the need to add one to my vehicles. Just do your homework and buy a truck that is rated to do the job you have at hand and you should be pleased.

Don

cgunn

F350 Pulls Great

I also have a '05 F350 crewcab lwb 4x4 with single rear wheels and love the way it pulls our '08 Big Horn 3055rl.
Going down the highway with cruise on,I don't know it's back there.
I will have to check into the computer chip.....:confused:

StevieWonder

Not sure about adding a chip or programmer as they could be reason to void your warranty

That is not the case. All of the new programmers (last few years' worth) are all changable back to stock and leave no trace of having been installed. They are invisible to any and all factory detection.

What is true is the fact that most of the programmers have multiple levels of performance enhancement. The top performance level requires modifications to the exhaust and additional guage information to keep from possibly exceeding the temperature limitations of the drivetrain. If you use the lower levels of enhancement, you'll find the programmers offer rather dramatic improvements in performance AND a very meaningful increase in fuel economy. My experience is roughly 10% more torque and horsepower coupled with a 10+% increase in fuel economy in the 1st stage performance level above factory stock.

I've used performance programmers on Ford, Dodge and GMC for over a decade without any issues and no warranty issues. There are literally tens of THOUSANDS of other similar experiences. I don't sell this stuff but I think it would be a big mistake to overlook at least investigating it.

Last edited:

rjr6150

We pull our 3400RL with the TV in signature below ours is a job 1. As most have already stated fuel mileage is less than stellar. But wouldn't trade it for anything else. Even though I think all three of the major brands have their advantages and disadvantage's. The deal breaker for me was able to buy at A plan.

Only1Fig

2008 F 350

I have a 2008 F 350 CC LWB DRW Tow package 4WD 4:30 rear auto tran . I tow a 3912. I weighed out at 26400 going to KW Florida full fuel tank, about a 100 gallons of fresh water, half tank of gas for gen. And a HD Dresser in the back. 1wife 1 dog and my big butt in the cab. I averaged 8.5 on fuel, pulled like it wasnt there. Didnt get blown off the road when passed by big rigs. Drove at 65mph give or take 5 mph. I live in Pa and travel to Pittsburg and get the same mpg even pulling in the mountains of Pa not the Rockies but it still not flat land driving. This F 350 set up would be the smallest truck I would use to pull that weight and length 60' bumper to bumper

N9MB

I've had no problems with my '08 F350. It pulls the Bighorn effortlessly and rides like a dream (when loaded). Fuel mileage varies but you can expect 8-10 towing and 14-15 unloaded with the 4:30 gears which I highly recommend.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
chip info

I owned the previous generation F350, a fire-engine red dually. It was the best truck I've ever owned. It had a ride that rivaled large luxo-cars that I've owned and had pretty good fuel mileage. My fuel dramatically improved when I "chipped" it. I'd strongly recommend a quality diesel programming device on any diesel truck. It will NOT void your warranty (and if you're afraid of that, then you can easily deprogram it back to stock with no tracks), but it WILL increase both your power and your fuel mileage, a dichotomy but true.
I am interested in chipping my '08 F-350. I was not aware it would not leave tracks. Can you recommend a couple and are they complicated to hook up?

egnors

You don't chip the Fords per say, instead you reflash the management software with a flash tool. On the 6.0 it is done best by the SCT programmer, with custom tunes by Elite, Innovative, Spartan Diesel, Xtreme Diesel. The 08 trucks have a different fuel management system so it has taken longer to rework the fuel and trans programming. From what I have seen on the net, the Phalanx is getting online now with some MAJOR power upgrades, like +250hp on one tune. Might be a good idea to register on www.thedieselgarage.com, they have a dedicated forum for 6.4 tuners, and will have a lot of info on the Phalanx setup.

check this thread out:

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72160