Experience with Samsung RF18 residential fridge.

lynndiwagoner

After 3 weeks on the road with my new fridge I can honestly say that it is the best thing I've done to this rig. It was worth the small effort it took to replace the Norcold. The Power Bright 2300W MSW inverter has worked flawlessly during a few 5 hour days.

20160710_182745.jpg

20160710_155439.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Glad to hear it all worked out well for you. We too love our residential fridge.... It works flawlessly 24-7 just like home. 0* & 37* all day long.
Nice job on the install.

rxbristol

How and where did you route the wires and inverter? I've installed the residential fridge, but have yet to install the inverter.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I pulled the fridge power line off the breaker box. It reached to the dotage bay easily. Ran a new line from the breaker to the cargo bay. Installed an automatic transfer switch with power from the breaker box and secondary power from the inverter. Transfer switch uses shore power as primary, switches to inverter when shore power is not present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had a dealer tell me that HL and other manufacturers are dropping the residential fridge in favor of the Norcold 18 cf because of compressor failures. Supposedly there have been many failure of residential units. I spend a fair amount of time on this forum and several other forums that are not brand specific and can't remember any complaints about a compressor failing.

rxbristol

I had a dealer tell me that HL and other manufacturers are dropping the residential fridge in favor of the Norcold 18 cf because of compressor failures. Supposedly there have been many failure of residential units. I spend a fair amount of time on this forum and several other forums that are not brand specific and can't remember any complaints about a compressor failing.

It will be interesting to see if Norcold's (Thetford) new fridge is any better and holds up. It is expensive.

lynndiwagoner

I mounted the inverter on the wall of the front storage area, the one separating that area from the battery compartment. I only had about 2' from the inverter to the batteries so I was able to use #4 wiring per the instruction manual. I mounted two more batteries in the front storage area, directly under the inverter, with a cutoff switch on them. I keep them charged with a standard battery charger and only use them in an emergency. I used a #12 extension cord and ran it through the big pass through storage area and to the area behind the UDC. I bought a 110VAC, 80A, DPDT relay off of ebay for around $15.00 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/181608834035?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT), and installed it in a deep 4" square electrical box. I then ran two #14 romex cables from the electrical panel to wire everything up for automatic transfer of the power. So far it works perfectly.