Will a class III hitch on the rear of trailer void warranty???

Wallaby

I am considering the Cyclone 3210 and wondering if a Class III hitch mounted by the dealer on the rear of the trailer would void the factory warranty? I would like to one day double tow a small boat / PWC.

Thanks

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I hope you have a big truck! :D These Cyclones are heavy...and FUN! I'm not sure about the answer to your hitch on the rear. I know others on here double tow, but I haven't seen it on a Cyclone! :)

Country

I've thought about doing the same and looked into the possibility...
Seems to me if you had a hitch installed they would have to "beef up" the rear most cross member where the hitch would attach. There's not much steel back there... I'm sure it wouldn't support much tongue weight.

Delaine and Lindy

Don't know about the Cyclone, but we just ordered a new Mobile Suites and it will come from the fractory with a Class 3 hitch. It has a 3,000 lb towing capacity. We are in the process of researching for a small car that we can double tow. Good Luck with your research..... GBY.....

sharmulst

It is not legal to pull anything behind your 5er in Wash. and Oregon. However, we did get stopped in Oregon, beings we were fulltimers they didn't know what to do with us so let us go with a warning. We were on our way to Calif. Never had a problem anywhere else, but have since sold our motorcycle.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
In California, the max length is 65' and you need a Class "A" license ( non commercial). Bob

Pulltab

LOL I love these threads about double towing! A memory comes to mind of a friend that towed with an suv behind their Teton coming to visit us. They lost the vehicle in a corner affectionately now named as ( Smokeys corner....not our Smokey here :) )and didn't even know it. Had it not been for someone who chased them down not sure how long they would have gone. 5th wheels are not meant to take those types of stresses. Double towing is just looking for trouble in my opinion along with there is probably not a handful of states that you would not exceed the maximum length in.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Not only are there max length laws, but some states specifically prohibit double towing. Do a search on the site, I believe someone posted a web page that lists the max lengths and double towing laws by state.
Fred

gpshemi

I realize your in CO and they allow up to 70', but many states don't. Here in Michigan you can tow double with an R endorsment which is super easy to get. Problem is, most of these units are 40' long and need a big truck like my megacab at nearly 21'. By the time you account for the tongue of the second trailer its going to be a darn small trailer even at your 70 limit. DARN SMALL.

Mike Aplin

I do know that there are state laws that regulate whether or not "double towing" is against the law. I do not know personally if it "voids" your Heartland warranty, but everyone should contact our customer service dept. before any class III hitch is installed or utilized. They would be able to tell you the proper warranty coverage. Mike

Delaine and Lindy

Have you ever pulled a 53' Trailer with a 379 Peterbilt yes its under 65'. The States we are pulling in its legal to double tow. Out Freightliner and Mobile Suites with a small car will be under 65'. Most people who want double tow don't have enought Truck to double tow. It we decide not to double tow we will either fly back and get the car or bob tail back and tow the car back. We stay 4 months in one location during the winter. We have many friends who are double towing and have for several years without any issues, we do have a rear Camera on the 5th wheel thats on order and the FL already has one. If double towing doesn't work for us we will get a Truck that can haul a Smart Car behind the cab. GBY...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have read here on the forum by adding a hitch on a Heartland you void the Lippert frame warranty.

Wallace

Called Heartland today about the hitch..they refered me to Lippert.
Got them on the phone turns out they make a hitch for it (199.00)and unless one of their factories install it they will not stand behind the camber warranty.

Delaine and Lindy

Wallace, you did the correct thing. Call the source and get the correct information. You will find any question that concerns a rear hitch, the first comment will be about a voided warranty. Most of the heavier 5th wheel will have a option for a rear hitch. We ordered the heavy duty hitch, a 2" receiver with 3,000 lb towing capacity, and with a 15" frame there want be a problem. We will use our rear hitch for the bikes for sure if we decided not to double tow. GBY.....

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Friend of mine had just left Ocean Lakes CG in Myrtle Beach,SC a couple weeks ago and got pulled for double towing.$100.00 ticket,no points on license.Dmv officer stopped him.My friend was told that the HP probably would not have stopped him.The DMV guy told him that something like the swivel wheel that attaches to the trailer with more than a ball would be fine.

Wallace

In the state of Pa the only way you can double tow is if the tow rig has a dedicated 5th wheel and no the 5th wheels we have in our tv don't qualifty...
Trust me I am a equipment trailer dealer and I have a 20k 40' goose neck that I would love to have another trailer behind it when I am hauling my equipment to the county fairs.
You must also have the endorsement on you license for doubles.