Spare Tire Carrier

Fulltimers

On our recent trip to Kansas we had to change out a tire. The tire carrier flat wore me out trying to get it to slide from under the coach. Since then, I attached two rollers allowing it to roll out rather than slide out. Hopefully the photo comes thru.

Attachments

• Resized_20160801_102028_001.jpg
    Resized_20160801_102028_001.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 333

sjandbj

Nice mod. I would agree the carrier will wear someone out. I think I will need to look into this for my unit.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Putting that back up with a spare tire on it is a killer. To see what your doing to line up the hole, requires me to be on my knees where I can't get much leverage. By standing, I can't see to line it up. Any one have a good solution?

pegmikef

I use a lever (2x4) and fulcrum (also made from scrap 2x4s) to lift it. I lift it up with the lever, then have my wife stand on the end and I push it home. I know some other folks have modified the old style bumper jacks to lift it. Not all of us are as strong as we were back when we were 70!

Attachments

• fulc3.JPG
    fulc3.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 201
  • fulc2.JPG
    fulc2.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 194
  • fulc1.JPG
    fulc1.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 187

mlpeloquin

I use a lever (2x4) and fulcrum (also made from scrap 2x4s) to lift it. I lift it up with the lever, then have my wife stand on the end and I push it home. I know some other folks have modified the old style bumper jacks to lift it. Not all of us are as strong as we were back when we were 70!

Nice solution. Better then a over the head pushup I did last year to check the air pressure in the spare. Oh my! I need to do it again. ☹️

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Putting that back up with a spare tire on it is a killer. To see what your doing to line up the hole, requires me to be on my knees where I can't get much leverage. By standing, I can't see to line it up. Any one have a good solution?

It needs a guide post. just a little nub to set it onto. If you drill through both plates from the bottom side, then install a small nutcert from the bottom side up. after you crimp it in with the tool you might have to drill the top hole a bit bigger until the nutcert fits perfectly into the hole.
Hope that kinda made sense, if not I can do pictures. LOL

Good Idea on the wheels.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It needs a guide post. just a little nub to set it onto. If you drill through both plates from the bottom side, then install a small nutcert from the bottom side up. after you crimp it in with the tool you might have to drill the top hole a bit bigger until the nutcert fits perfectly into the hole.
Hope that kinda made sense, if not I can do pictures. LOL

I think we need the pictures!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

In my opinion you would be pushing the max of it's capacity. I think you would bend the inner rods the first time you pulled it out. And you probably won't be able to push it back in.
You could always make a bigger better one using the ends of that one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

davidaf

As long as everybody has this device on their mind make sure you have the two upper bolts instead of open holes. Factory failed to install the bolts in mine and it failed. Try huffing and puffing that thing off the rig with half of it missing and being red hot from dragging under the rig for many miles!

BusManRG

Funny that this should just pop up. Hubby tried to check the air pressure in our spare yesterday before we take off on our vacation. First he came back in and announced I was going to have to come out and help him. Then he came in and said never mind he was finally able to lift it enough to get the tire rack back in place. But he also grumbled and said he hopes that if we ever have to use it the tire guy will have an air compressor because there's no way he could get to it to check it and he's never going to do that again because he's not sure he ever get it back in place a second time. I'll have to show in the post about the wheels.

Sandy

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We added an extension to the valve stem to be able to check the air without removing the tire. It worked well for about a year, but just a few days ago when DH went to check the air he couldn't get air in the tire. Had to take down the tire and remove the extension. Not sure if road grime messed up the extension stem or what, did not have time to investigate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdubinwa

I just flipped the tire over on the carrier and now don't have a problem getting access to the valve stem from under the trailer.

sjandbj

We added an extension to the valve stem to be able to check the air without removing the tire. It worked well for about a year, but just a few days ago when DH went to check the air he couldn't get air in the tire. Had to take down the tire and remove the extension. Not sure if road grime messed up the extension stem or what, did not have time to investigate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also add an extension. Mine has been working great for the last 2 years.SpareTire inflat1.jpgSpare tire inf2.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I also add an extension. Mine has been working great for the last 2 years.View attachment 50391View attachment 50392
That's a good idea. Thanks for sharing.
I put a TPMS sensor on both of my spare tires, on the truck and trailer. I can monitor them along with the rest of my tires.

Now I have this new Ford TPMS system and its seems to be working good. However I'm still running the TST TPMS system on my trailer stems for now until I get a feel for this Ford system.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk