RV Living. Cost of electric versus generator

We have a 44 ft road warrior 5th wheel toy hauler which we live in full time on a family members vineyard. We are located in fort worth texas where temperature is around 100 during the day. This past month our electric bill was $329 which seems pretty high to me. There is also an approximately 20x10 shed on the property that is ran by a window unit and kept around 75 degrees. The vineyard also has a watering system that I think is hooked up to the same meter. Is there a way I can find out how much my RV is using vs everything else? Would it be cheaper to use the generator? I have no clue when it comes to this subject so any help would be appreciated.

danemayer

Hi MelissaHunter2,

One 15 amp A/C unit might pull roughly 1.5 KWH * 18 hours/day runtime @ $0.15 / KWH * 31 days = $125 / month. Add to that power for a 2nd A/C unit that probably runs a bit less, water heater, refrigerator, TV, etc. and in 100 degree weather it's probably not hard to get into the mid or high $200s.

Running off the generator will probably be more expensive.

Best strategy to reduce usage is to cut the heat load that drives the air conditioners. Reflective window coverings. Even better, shade to keep sun off the windows.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Small fans, keeping the shades drawn also helps circulate the AC air. When we run the AC, we use small fans and the ceiling fan to circulate the cool air more efficiently. Close the damper on the main AC to help move more cool air to the bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

Is there a way to get your own power meter? Because in the state of Texas you can contract with an electricity company using this website:

Powertochoose.org make sure it ends with the dot "org"

I recently contracted at one cent per kW. My last electricity bill was $56 dollars--most of that was fees because the electricity portion was only $9. I'll miss the low electricity bills when we hit the road in the spring.

IronJ

Are you running all 3 ac plus converter and water heater on a/c??

My shop (80x80) has 2 residential ac units and my bill for both units (at 78 degrees ) is 290$...
One of the training facilities we own is only 4500sq ft and costs 1100$ a month in electrical alone!!...

So anything is possible...

We had a house in Arlington. A few years ago and even with (free nights/evenings) it was 700+ dollars to cool 2 story's @3500 sq/ft...wife kept it cold tho..

In a trailer,. The best thing you can do is find shade....or buy shade!!...your ac will run 40% less easy...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We just paid our July monthly bill at our park near Cisco, TX, about an 1.5 hours west of Ft. Worth. High temps have been in the high 90s or low 100s most of the month. Our two ACs run from about 10am to 7pm solid, and cycle other times and through the night. We have 5 fans throughout to help circulate air, and all shades down. We have some late afternoon shade on the front part of the rig.

We pay electric on top of our monthly rate. Each site has a meter. Our bill for the electric only was $243, we pay .13 KWh. We did leave our site for 4 days on a trip.

I don't think businesses get that luxury to negotiate rates like residential customers. But they also legally cannot mark up the rate they charge you, it has to be what they pay.

Oregon_Camper

Why not install a large solar setup, with say 4-6 batteries and a 3000w GoPower Inverter? Cost you about $2500...which you would recover in 10 months if you can power both AC's or 20 months (less that 2 years) if you can only power on AC unit. Plus you're saving the world!! :)

pegmikef

I

I recently contracted at one cent per kW. My last electricity bill was $56 dollars--most of that was fees because the electricity portion was only $9. I'll miss the low electricity bills when we hit the road in the spring.

Wow Rex, where in the world did you get one cents per kw hour? I have about the cheapest you can get in San Angelo and it is ten cents a kw hour. The only time it can change is if and when the power provider changes its transmission fee.

AAdams

We are in the Coastal Bend of Texas. We have a '16 BH 3750 FL w/ dual pane windows and at .15/Kwh our bill last month was $254.70. we have NO trees that shade us, so we are in the sun all day.

rxbristol

Wow Rex, where in the world did you get one cents per kw hour? I have about the cheapest you can get in San Angelo and it is ten cents a kw hour. The only time it can change is if and when the power provider changes its transmission fee.

I know it varies around the state, but I typed the zip code for San Angelo into Powertochoose.org and the cheapest electricity came back at five cents per kW--it's worth a look.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are in the Coastal Bend of Texas. We have a '16 BH 3750 FL w/ dual pane windows and at .15/Kwh our bill last month was $254.70. we have NO trees that shade us, so we are in the sun all day.

To compare, looks like you used 1698KWh. We used 1796, with only 28 days of use. Average temp, shade, humidity, size of rig, how many and what kind of windows, run time, all play factors.

Mattman

Follow the path from meter to the panel. What else is fed out of it? There could be some other loads. Or not. If you think it's the sprinkler system pull your plugs and see if the meter is still spinning. Or is it a new digital? Either way you may be able to visual see.
Also take an amp rating on each of your HVAC units. See if one is drawing way more than the other. Maybe you have a unit going bad and is drawing excessive current.
Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick look on Amazon I saw this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EP774LM/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1470273895&sr=8-15-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=plug+in+power+meter&psc=1
Expensive but you could track your usage.

Crumgater

Your local electrician might have a clamp-on power meter, like this one: http://www.redtoolstore.com/products/milwaukee-2235-20-clamp-meter-400-amp

We have a 'kill-a-watt' meter, but it's only good for a 15-20amp connection (i.e. normal house plug).
http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html

There are some other options, but you'd need to wire them into the circuit.
Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Meter-100A-Volt-3-Wire/dp/B00GMZRXE8

Note: 50A at 120V is 6000VA, assuming a 0.85 power factor, that would be 5100 watts... if you run full load 100% of the time, for 30 days that's 3672 kWh. At $0.15/kWh = $550.80
Based on you're bill of $329, you're running near 60% load, or 3046 watts on average (IF $0.15/kWh is your average rate for electricity). That seems like a LOT to me.

You'd be burning through a tank of gas in a few hours at that rate on a genny.
1/2 gal to 3/4 gal per hour is the going rate from another RV forum for people using the genny and A/C... if we go with 1/2 gal/hour x 24 hrs x 30 days x $2.00/gal = $720. Definitely not the more economical option.

Sarge

It may be worth installing solar or putting up an overhead cover to keep the heat off...

LBR

Your local electrician might have a clamp-on power meter, like this one: http://www.redtoolstore.com/products/milwaukee-2235-20-clamp-meter-400-amp

We have a 'kill-a-watt' meter, but it's only good for a 15-20amp connection (i.e. normal house plug).
http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html

There are some other options, but you'd need to wire them into the circuit.
Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Meter-100A-Volt-3-Wire/dp/B00GMZRXE8

Note: 50A at 120V is 6000VA, assuming a 0.85 power factor, that would be 5100 watts... if you run full load 100% of the time, for 30 days that's 3672 kWh. At $0.15/kWh = $550.80
Based on you're bill of $329, you're running near 60% load, or 3046 watts on average (IF $0.15/kWh is your average rate for electricity). That seems like a LOT to me.

You'd be burning through a tank of gas in a few hours at that rate on a genny.
1/2 gal to 3/4 gal per hour is the going rate from another RV forum for people using the genny and A/C... if we go with 1/2 gal/hour x 24 hrs x 30 days x $2.00/gal = $720. Definitely not the more economical option.
Thanx for the info....great breakdown comparison for all of us to devour!