Road Warrior Towing Bounce

TBONE21

Hey everyone. When I brought my warrior home from the dealership the other day, it sure was bouncy. I was told that toy haulers like the road warrior tow rough when there isn't anything in the garage. Is that true or do I need to add a trail air kingpin?
anyone using the trail air system?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have no experience with a toy hauler, but I have had a Trail-Air Tri-Glide on both Bighorns and would not tow with a non dampening pinbox.
There are other options but I like the Trail-Air.

Peace
Dave

TBONE21

I have no experience with a toy hauler, but I have had a Trail-Air Tri-Glide on both Bighorns and would not tow with a non dampening pinbox.
There are other options but I like the Trail-Air.

Peace
Dave

do you have to put air in it every time you hook up? My only concern from what I read so far is that if I get to a camp spot then when it's time to leave not have access to a air compressor. There I am stuck with a deflated trail air hitch

IronJ

I find when lite or no load and air in my bags mine is like that also...

I 25gal or so in the fresh tank helps a lot...although mine is so full of junk in the front it's always heavy...

And it's pretty rare that we don't have 500-600 lbs in the garage now...

I'm still on the original lippert 1621shd pin box...but I've toyed switching to a trail air.

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It does leak down a bit, but I am usually good for a couple of weeks.
You can still tow if the bag is completely deflated.
I carry a Viair compressor.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

TBONE21

It does leak down a bit, but I am usually good for a couple of weeks.
You can still tow if the bag is completely deflated.
I carry a Viair compressor.

Peace
Dave

great thanks....one last question. What is the difference between the tri glide system and a regular trail air system?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The Tri-Glide, now replaced by the Flex-Air, dampens the movement not only up and down but front to back as well.

Peace
Dave

TBONE21

The Tri-Glide, now replaced by the Flex-Air, dampens the movement not only up and down but front to back as well.

Peace
Dave

got it. Thank you. What are your thoughts on the moreryde?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My thoughts only, although there are several pin boxes that do a good job, I prefer a pin box that dampens up and down.
When I look in the mirror and see my Trail-Air flexing up and down as I travel I can't help buy think those are bumps I didn't feel.
Just my opinion as others will have theirs.

Peace
Dave

IronJ

Also I don't think they make a tri glide rated to replace the shd 21k box on your rig...

It's either mor ryde or trail air...more ride is a lateral system and trail air is more verticle ( the tri glide is both....)

TBONE21

Also I don't think they make a tri glide rated to replace the shd 21k box on your rig...

It's either mor ryde or trail air...more ride is a lateral system and trail air is more verticle ( the tri glide is both....)

I just checked their site and they do make a tri glide for up to 21,000 pounds

229669 is the part number for that pin box on their site

IronJ

I'll have to look again!!..I'm definitely interested in that!

TBONE21

I'll have to look again!!..I'm definitely interested in that!

check me and make sure I'm right but that's what I'm seeing. If that's the deal then I may go ahead and order one tomorrow

IronJ

It says 1161 bolt pattern...and I don't know if that's the same as 1621 that comes on ours...may have to call tomorrow

TBONE21

It says 1161 bolt pattern...and I don't know if that's the same as 1621 that comes on ours...may have to call tomorrow

if you call tomorrow , please post here what they say. I'll hold and see what they say

IronJ

They list different models of the trail air for the 1116 and 1621 for the same rating so I'm thinking they are not compatible numbers....but I'll check tomorrw anyway...

IronJ

What's weird is If you follow the buy now link on thier page it takes you to etrailer and they list it as 18k gvwr rating?..hmmm..it does say 1621 though??

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I know the Big Horn and the Landmark use the 1621HD I think the Toyhaulers are the same. When I bought my TrailAir FlexAir pinbox they told me that they discontinued the Tri-glide and replaced it with the FlexAir. They had a lot of failures with the Tri-Glide.

Dave if yours is actually leaking drain the air out and pull the air stem out and reseal the threads, It worked on mine.

If you don't change anything in you loading from when left home to when you came back,the air bag will be the same. This is not usually the case especially when dry camping. on your way out your fresh tank is full (behind the axles) gray and black are empty. Coming home Your fresh tank is empty and your gray and black tanks are full. Moving all of that weight forward, which compresses the air bag more.

IronJ

Yes, that's right...the tri glide is gone(I knew better darn it) and it's now flex air (no more rollers...I think it's the rota flex design?)....the only difference in landmark and bighorn is our pins are the 21k rated SHD instead of HD...otherwise the same thing...I'm thinking the m19 tri glide is the correct (now discontinued part) and whatever it's replacement is would be the new correct one.

Either way I'm checking with them and ordering one asap as soon as I figure out the definitive correct part #