Truck needs new brakes

Roc

My 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 is now in need of some new brakes. Anyone have any suggestions for some new heavy duty pads and rotors?

Sniper

My 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 is now in need of some new brakes. Anyone have any suggestions for some new heavy duty pads and rotors?
I use powerstop drilled and slotted rotors, and raybestos ceramic towing pads, and have had good luck, with both. Powerstop also has a complete pad and drilled and slotted rotor kit. I purchase a lot of repair parts from Rock Auto http://www.rockauto.com/ They have good pricing and great service. :)

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
X3 on the Hawk pads. I will not buy anything else. Look into cryo slotted rotors. Lots of durability in those frozen rotors.

IronJ

Hawk pads are great ...slotted rotors give better stopping power, but I would not use cross drilled for a heavy towing application...

I know a lot of racers who use cryo treated rotors, but can't say as much in a towing application.

The cryo process extends the life of the rotor and supposedly the pads.

Out of curiosity how long are stock pads lasting you guys??..I still have the oe setup on my 2012?.

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

porthole

Retired
Do research before you waste your money on high tech rotors. You will never see the temperatures or abuse the fancy rotors evolved from. BTW, drilled rotors are prone to cracking. And every square inch of material that is removed for holes or slots eliminates 'swept area'. Drilled and slotted rotors should be part of a package, which includes the entire braking system designed around them.

Research the OEM pads, usually a quality pad. Although I'll never use ford OEM pads in my truck again. They were just "to much metallic".

Hawk pads are about the same as any other quality pad out there. I used them on my truck at my 45K brake change (first change).
Had to replace them the fronts at 67K, but that was partly because of the rotors.
The rears went metal to metal at 78K. The fronts I was not to concerned about because I changed them because of the rotors.

The rear hawk pads only lasted 33K. Unusual for rear brakes on anything.

Keep in mind that most people will feel a perceived difference in braking with new XYZ pads because - well they are new.

IronJ

Do research before you waste your money on high tech rotors. You will never see the temperatures or abuse the fancy rotors evolved from. BTW, drilled rotors are prone to cracking. And every square inch of material that is removed for holes or slots eliminates 'swept area'. Drilled and slotted rotors should be part of a package, which includes the entire braking system designed around them.

Research the OEM pads, usually a quality pad. Although I'll never use ford OEM pads in my truck again. They were just "to much metallic".

Hawk pads are about the same as any other quality pad out there. I used them on my truck at my 45K brake change (first change).
Had to replace them the fronts at 67K, but that was partly because of the rotors.
The rears went metal to metal at 78K. The fronts I was not to concerned about because I changed them because of the rotors.

The rear hawk pads only lasted 33K. Unusual for rear brakes on anything.

Keep in mind that most people will feel a perceived difference in braking with new XYZ pads because - well they are new.
33k from hawks?..on the REAR!?...did you do new rotors when u put them on...?

That is crazy horrible mileage from even a cheap pad on the REAR..

My ford oem have done ok...they just have a squeek on light braking that is surly annoying.....but I'm ocd like that..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

justafordguy

When I changed my original oem pads (because of noise) to new OEM pads it had no better braking power at all and still made noise. One week later I changed to Hawk Performance pads and the difference in braking power was HUGE. They also don't make any noise. ;)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
On my previous truck 2009 F350 I got 105000 miles on the OEM pads. Right now I have 55000 on the OEM pads on my 2012 F350.