Road Warrior Decal missing

TBONE21

What would you guys do? The 88degree turning radius decal came off yesterday and apparently they clear coated around the decal oddly enough.
Would you guys have them put a new decal in that spot? The clear coat has a raised edge all around the border of where the decal was.
image.jpg

Jim.Allison

What would you guys do? The 88degree turning radius decal came off yesterday and apparently they clear coated around the decal oddly enough.
Would you guys have them put a new decal in that spot? The clear coat has a raised edge all around the border of where the decal was.
View attachment 46955

I would try to get Heartland to pay a reputable body shop to make the repair. When I say reputable, I mean reputable, someone who understands clear coat. I think it is the least that Heartland can do for you. The sticker you mentioned is not meant to remain on your rig.

alwaysbusy

C'mon man, REALLY? How does someone do that? x2 on what Jim said, contact Heartland. If you don't get it fixed the proper way, i think later down the road you will wish you would have given the constant eye sore.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Thats weird...but are you sure what you feel is not just the glue that held the sticker on??

Lynn1130

Is what we see raised or indented? If it is raised it is probably the sticky part of the decal that was there, and was that an ad? If it is indented (run your fingernail over it) then it was under the clear coat.

If it is raised, some type of gum remover will take it off.

mlpeloquin

If it is glue, Goop Off or WD40 will remove it without doing damage to your clear coat. Maybe even Bugs-n-All will remove it as well.

Carleen

Makes me wonder sometimes- why would it be clear coated after the decals installed? Yikes! I agree- call and have it fixed proper. I would also look at all other decals on the unit. The only reason this would happen is if there was damage to the rig and it wasn't fixed properly- like removing all trim/decals, paint, then replace decals/trim.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RLh

Lynn1130

We don't know that this decal was clear coated. Until we determine whether this is a case of an "ad" decal that had the glue give up and let the decal fall off we probably should not draw conclusions.

Carleen

We don't know that this decal was clear coated. Until we determine whether this is a case of an "ad" decal that had the glue give up and let the decal fall off we probably should not draw conclusions.

Not drawing conclusions- just making suggestions based on experience. Some dealerships will have body work for minor repairs done at the lot. Some do a good job, others don't. This is an indication to me of further damage that may have happened to the trailer during transport. I used to own a vinyl graphic business (ex husband running it now). Most vinyl won't fall off completely leaving a perfect outline of the sticker. They generally start curling and cracking around the edges before falling off completely. True- I am making an assumption, but it is evident in the picture.
28a3044836068defb0398076b20356cd.png

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

TBONE21

I'm 99 percent it's clear coat that was missing underneath the old decal. It's raised for one and for two you guys can see that the colors don't match. You can see the clear coat start at the old decal edge and go beyond the edge. I have a couple of camping trips coming up then I'll take it back to the dealer to get resolved.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have to agree with some other comments about glue residue but have to ask one question, did your dealer apply some sort of after market protective coating? Peace Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our 88-degree sticker was already faded when we got our Prowler . . . and was only four months old from date of birth/build.

This photo a couple of months after we brought it home . . . note the faded sticker.

ProwlerBlueMesa-P1000712.jpg

Our dealership put their sticker on the front of the Prowler (see photo below upper left) and I noticed a month or so ago that it was pealing off.

ProwlerLogo-P1000373.jpg

One day when I was giving it a bath I reached over the edge from the roof and pealed it off the rest of the way and it left a sticky glue type residue and has a ridge of gluey goo around where the edge of the sticker was.

I haven't done anything with it yet, but I am thinking about getting another sticker from our dealer to put in it's place, or maybe see if the Heartland Owner's Club Stickers are close to the same size and putting one of those there instead.

Right now my spot looks kinda like the one in the OP . . .

TBONE21

I have to agree with some other comments about glue residue but have to ask one question, did your dealer apply some sort of after market protective coating? Peace Dave

Im 99 percent positive its not glue residue. Its a big lifted up edge thats hard as a rock and goes with the rest of the paint beyond. Im wondering if the dealer added something but I doubt it. At this point I am going on our first camping trip this week then another beach run in a few weeks. At the end of the month I plan to take it back to the dealer for the knick nack list. This will be on it. Let them call Heartland and see that they say. Worst case scenario is they just put another 88 degree sticker on it. I doubt it will ever fade because I plan to get a new metal shed within a month. I will always keep my camper inside out of the sun and waxed.

danemayer

It seems like the key question is whether what you have is a manufacturing defect, something peculiar with the label, or a problem resulting from something that was done after the initial build.

If you have a painted cap (as opposed to Gelcoat), it was likely painted before it got to the plant floor where it was attached to the front of the trailer. The labels are applied very late in manufacturing, long after the cap is attached.

That leads me to guess that someone, either Heartland or the dealer, may have done some repair work including painting, and didn't do it correctly - and needs to have it redone.

TBONE21

It seems like the key question is whether what you have is a manufacturing defect, something peculiar with the label, or a problem resulting from something that was done after the initial build.

If you have a painted cap (as opposed to Gelcoat), it was likely painted before it got to the plant floor where it was attached to the front of the trailer. The labels are applied very late in manufacturing, long after the cap is attached.

That leads me to guess that someone, either Heartland or the dealer, may have done some repair work including painting, and didn't do it correctly - and needs to have it redone.

I will add that I did see this unit a few days after it arrived at the dealership. It only sat on the lot 20 days until I bought it. It was sitting in the same spot from day one of its arrival. I don't think it was don't at the dealer. I think this is something from the manufacturer.

TBONE21

Well Heartland gladly approved the repair. Problem is the body shop has done an AWFUL job. Trash in the clear coat and the paint color doesn't match at all. Also they did some damage to is as they were fixing it. Looks like an air hose rubbed the paint off in another section. I have the camper back after they did all the other repairs but its obviously going back. I hate body shops that don't care about what they are doing. Sorry the pic is side ways. The upload thing changes it. You can see 3 quarters of the way up where the color doesn't match.
road warrior repaint screw up.jpg

alwaysbusy

Tbone, paint is matched a number of ways due to so many brands. Did the body shop use the same original brand paint/paint codes (this would be rare), a different brand with established cross reference codes or photography via software to gain their color match in the absence of existing cross codes? If it's obvious, the later was probably used which does not produce an exact color.

TBONE21

They told me the body shop went to Oreilly to match the paint. When the service department told me that, I about fell out int he floor. I knew it wouldn't work. I told the Camper Dealer to contact Heartland and get the paint code to that front end when it comes back to get redone.