PDA

View Full Version : Mud Flaps

BigGuy82
08-05-2016, 10:29 PM
I've got a Ford F350 diesel dually pulling a 3010RE fiver. Just looking for recommendations on mud flaps - do you use the "behind the wheels" type or the huge ones that are suspended from the trailer hitch and go across the width of the truck? Any pluses/minuses to either?

Seems like to ones that span the rear would do the best job of keeping the coach clean.

Carleen
08-05-2016, 11:17 PM
I heard the skirts along the bumper can actually pick up and throw rocks- kinda like a broom sweeping quickly just above the ground. My dad used the Husky or WeatherTech molded ones and liked them a lot on his F-350 dually. I have the Husky ones and like them on my srw.

Also- my dad has the big skirt one on his new motor home and pulls the Jeep behind it. After travel, the Jeep would have gravel on the hood and would be filthy. He took it off for this last trip and found its a bit better. Not finding gravel on the hood like he did before. The aerodynamics are far different than pulling the fiver, but it could be about the same regarding kicking up gravel.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

porthole
08-06-2016, 09:12 AM
I use Duraflaps on the pickup and mounted them so they are only 4-5 inches off the ground.

The trailer hitch version seems to work for many, but it is not without it's drawbacks. The DRW version is very long.

This picture is a comparison of the factory versus Duraflaps

IronJ
08-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Gators...WITH brackets!!..

And they look good too😎

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/dd3635b8a400530ee669e0a46f629802.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/15d347212d2d2ba60a9d4aac0fc43b40.jpg

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Carleen
08-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Nice!!

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

IronJ
08-06-2016, 10:52 AM
I also have a set of rock tamers,(the long hitch mounted ones)..they will block EVERYTHING and are wide the way I have em set up for my fat bottom girl....I used em once..realized the giant gators pretty much blocked everything...

IronJ
08-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Nice!!

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL
Thanks, I've owned em all and these are my favorite so far...

As a side note, I have the long and wide version (as I have 12.5" tires x 6 and I'm lifted)

They are trim able to height and the also make a narrower version for narrower (stock size) tires that don't extend past the wheel well.

In the end if you really want good flaps it's dura or gator...and the bracket also make a huge difference especially on a Ford dually where the inner wheel well Is all plastic..the bracket bolts to the pinch weld and supports the entire weight of the HEAVY flap by itself....so the 2-3 solid bolts you can get into the flap itself are just to secure it from flapping...they don't hang all 45lb of mat from the flimsy structure..

[emoji106]

MTPockets
08-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Duraflap... Pre drilled and They are easy to mount, will last as long as the truck, stainless steel hardware, can be ordered with custom graphics, they look good... Www.duraflap.com (http://Www.duraflap.com).

jassson007
08-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Duraflap here as well and the put my custom art above the stainless weights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronJ
08-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Is the metal on your duras stainless or aluminim...

The ONE issue I had with my duraflap is I had custom inserts made of my company logo...

They got really pitted and tarnished quickly and really looked bad...I'm pretty sure they were aluminum but honestly don't know??

The flap itself was as good as a giant piece of super heavy rubber can be!!🖒🖒

jassson007
08-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Mine appear to be stainless. Second set on as many trucks and no issues.

IronJ
08-06-2016, 06:19 PM
My gators are polished stainless as well and shine right up...

I'll never opt for polished aluminum inserts again that's for sure!!

JWalker
08-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Great luck with Husky Mud Guards. Hardly any kick back in trailer. Last set was on truck for 6 years and looked as good as new. Molded perfect for truck.

http://i67.tinypic.com/av2c0h.jpg

MTPockets
08-06-2016, 11:01 PM
Is the metal on your duras stainless or aluminim...

The ONE issue I had with my duraflap is I had custom inserts made of my company logo...

They got really pitted and tarnished quickly and really looked bad...I'm pretty sure they were aluminum but honestly don't know??

The flap itself was as good as a giant piece of super heavy rubber can be!!

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish. Mine are in fact Stainless Steel. They may offer a polished aluminum, I really don't know. I recall asking for Stainless and that's what I got.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
08-07-2016, 11:02 AM
I'm not a fan of mud flaps on the pickup. So I'm thinking of trying the hula skirt across the back, in the hitch. Then I'll put a receiver sleeve on the front of the RV to stick it in to when I unhook. So that way I'll never have it on the truck when I'm not towing the RV.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jnbhobe
08-07-2016, 05:57 PM
I think a lot of states require mud flaps on a dually.

jassson007
08-07-2016, 06:38 PM
I think a lot of states require mud flaps on a dually.

Louisiana does as well as Texas I believe.

IronJ
08-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Texas fo sho!!..gotta have em...

Might as well look good...lol

Sniper
08-08-2016, 07:23 AM
I've got a Ford F350 diesel dually pulling a 3010RE fiver. Just looking for recommendations on mud flaps - do you use the "behind the wheels" type or the huge ones that are suspended from the trailer hitch and go across the width of the truck? Any pluses/minuses to either?

Seems like to ones that span the rear would do the best job of keeping the coach clean.
I have WeatherTech molded flaps on mine. They're made in the USA, work good, and look like they came from the factory. Very easy to install. :)

BigGuy82
08-08-2016, 12:05 PM
All right - I've decided on the DuraFlaps for the rear. Never one to be satisfied, I've got yet another mudflap question. Do any of you have a picture of a Ford Super Duty with flaps on the FRONT also? I'd like to see what that looks like before buying a set.

Thanks

IronJ
08-08-2016, 12:20 PM
I'd go with the weather techs for front...they flow/look better...I have had both duraflap and the gators for front but I don't like the looks....I'll look for a pic but they literally were on for 15 min.....

I'm in same boat ...probably need fronts, but have not decided yet what will look best...the truck already has that grey plastic so the molded weather techs look most Factory

jnbhobe
08-08-2016, 12:35 PM
I just went with factory ford front and rear

porthole
08-09-2016, 07:58 AM
All right - I've decided on the DuraFlaps for the rear. Never one to be satisfied, I've got yet another mudflap question. Do any of you have a picture of a Ford Super Duty with flaps on the FRONT also? I'd like to see what that looks like before buying a set.

Thanks

You have a DRW - my personal opinion is get the Duraflap and get the 14" wide version. Do you want form and function over looks?
I have the 12" wide flaps on the front. Next DRW will have the 14" wide flaps. They will stick out more but I would rather have the rear DRW fenders get the little bit more protection they offer. Same with snow on the running boards. My DRW fenders have a lot of small chips that I assume if from stuff kicked up by the front tires and missing the flaps.

I have the rear flaps form ford, they are about half the coverage as the duraflaps (seem my picture above). And they cost 25% more then the Duraflaps

I'll take a picture later today.

BigGuy82
08-09-2016, 09:24 AM
You have a DRW - my personal opinion is get the Duraflap and get the 14" wide version. Do you want form and function over looks?
I have the 12" wide flaps on the front. Next DRW will have the 14" wide flaps. They will stick out more but I would rather have the rear DRW fenders get the little bit more protection they offer. Same with snow on the running boards. My DRW fenders have a lot of small chips that I assume if from stuff kicked up by the front tires and missing the flaps.

I have the rear flaps form ford, they are about half the coverage as the duraflaps (seem my picture above). And they cost 25% more then the Duraflaps

Some excellent points. I never considered factory flaps - had them on my 150 and they didn't offer much protection. I already ordered the Duraflaps for the rear and I would really love to see a picture of what your fronts look like if you get the time to send one. Actually, looks are important to me, but I like the idea of protecting the rear fenders better and, living in the northeast, I hear what your saying about slush buildup on the running boards. It's always been a problem. The other option is to move south:cool:

Thanks!

IronJ
08-09-2016, 10:01 AM

The ford Factory rears are a joke even with stock tires. I believe mine are being used as a mat somewhere in my shop...

I don't really have stuff hitting the rear fenders but it does hit the lower panel behind the tire

Here in texas we don't get much longterm snow....we do have mud but I try and avoid that!!...its a PAIN to clean ...lol

I wanna see all your pics too...maybe then I will decide on some fronts!

BigGuy82
08-09-2016, 01:05 PM
I sent an email to the folks at DuraFlap about 12" vs 14" fronts. The answer is that the 14" splits the 2" - it adds a 1" overhang the the outside and 1" on the inside. They also sent a picture of what a 12" looks like installed - seems to cover the tire pretty well and definitely shields the running board.

ram_1955
08-09-2016, 02:02 PM
My F350 with max tow came with front flaps because of the wider front axle width

porthole
08-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Duraflap 12" front flaps.

BigGuy82
08-10-2016, 09:38 PM
Duraflap 12" front flaps.

Thanks for the pix. I just picked up my new F350 diesel dually today and the front/rear DuraFlaps are on the way. I decided on the 12" fronts, so we'll see how they work out.

Thanks!