tailgate flooring material

captpfd

My 2008 Razor has a very slippery surface on the tailgate. I see there is a rubber diamond-plate material that some trailers have installed that might work better for a non-slip surface. Anyone added this to their tailgate or had it installed or currently has it and likes it. How is it installed and where can I get it wide enough so I don't have a seam. Thanks.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I installed it on my toyhauler many years ago I had ordered it from the KZ- RV factory at the time. They sent the roll and a quart of contact cement. (I think)
I just rolled it out and let it sit for a day or so to flatten out. Then laid it out and cut it to close to size.... Then rolled on the contact cement and worked may way down from the top of the ramp down. I think it was my son and I. So that had to be 10 years ago.
It went really well and I love the result. Much much better and safer.

I have the same stuff in the floor of my basement on my Landmark so you could get it from Heartland but I think I would just look online.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

captpfd

I installed it on my toyhauler many years ago I had ordered it from the KZ- RV factory at the time. They sent the roll and a quart of contact cement. (I think)
I just rolled it out and let it sit so a day or so to flatten out. Then laid it out and cut it to close to size.... Then rolled on the contact cement and worked may way down from the top of the ramp down. I think it was my son and I. So that had to be 10 years ago.
It went really well and I love the result. Much much better and safer.

I have the same stuff in the floor of my basement on my Landmark so you could get it from Heartland but I think I would just look online.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. I will call Heartland today and Camping World.

alwaysbusy

It's called Tuff-Ply flooring. We had it in our Sportsman Sportster which was also made by KZ Manufacturing. Heartland currently uses the product in their garages and basements. It's been a while since our KZ, but All Rite Custom Manufacturing seems to come to mind. By now the industry could be using another supplier.

captpfd

Ok apparently all the manufacturers use this rhino liner type spray on material on all the tailgates from the factory. That stuff is slippery when moist or wet. Has anyone tried applying or adding additional skid-proof material by painting another coat on? I have a Harley to load next month and need better traction to prevent a disaster. Help me out.

captpfd

I did look at it and wow it is really expensive to have a single piece cut that is 8ft. by 7ft. Going to cost about $500 plus glue. I guess I am not sure if that's the way to go. You can find rolls that are 4ft wide but it will have a seam and still cost me about $300. Has no one else experienced this slippery effect trying to load and unload their toys? That stuff the manufactures use is glossy finished, not rough for gripping.

Jv75353

My 2008 Razor has a very slippery surface on the tailgate. I see there is a rubber diamond-plate material that some trailers have installed that might work better for a non-slip surface. Anyone added this to their tailgate or had it installed or currently has it and likes it. How is it installed and where can I get it wide enough so I don't have a seam. Thanks.
I would suggest contacting Johnson Surplus in Mottville, MI (269)483-2249 or On the Internet as TrailerRvParts.com. They have rubber diamond plate flooring listed at $12 per running foot x 8.5 feet wide. They have lots of great stuff with excellent pricing. They do ship items daily, not sure what that cost would be. We live less than an hour away so we just go there and bring it home. They are closed on Sunday and Monday. Tuesday thru Friday hours 8:30-5:00. Saturday 8:00-2:00. Good luck with your project.