Freezer door

Sawdocmd

Is there a lock on the 23 cu residential freezer door? Fully loaded the door would open during travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwaysbusy

You say it is fully loaded. Is it possible items on the door are resting against items on the shelves prohibiting the door from establishing a solid seal against the fridge body? As a result, it never fully closes due to the weak seal. Just a thought.

Sawdocmd

It seals fine, the weight just pulls the door open. The fridge doors have Velcro to keep shut in transit.

IronJ

Mine is close to the kitchen counters when closed so I put a couple pillows or blankets in front of it so it don't come open....and yes...it does come open....

A child door saftey latch would also do the trick i bet....I used two of those on my old trailer with outdoor kitchen to keep the door secure while traveling...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

alwaysbusy

It's a shame the res model is not like the Norcold propane/electric with respect to a latch mechanism, all four door handles have pin latches that catch when the doors are fully closed. The pin latch automatically releases when the handle is depressed to open the door. A simple thing, but a headache without I'm sure.

danemayer

It's a shame the res model is not like the Norcold propane/electric with respect to a latch mechanism, all four door handles have pin latches that catch when the doors are fully closed. The pin latch automatically releases when the handle is depressed to open the door. A simple thing, but a headache without I'm sure.

The residential refrigerators are designed for sticks and bricks residences where latches are not needed.

Sawdocmd

Well that kinda negates having and inverter for the fridge to keep things cold when you drive and the freezer door opens.

danemayer

Lots of people use various approaches to secure the doors. Just saying that companies making refrigerators for homes aren't likely to invest in ideas for latching devices. If you browse some previous threads you'll get some ideas.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

We used the stuck on latch that came with ours till the door opened once. Now we just tie the two handles together while traveling. Hasn't opened since

Sawdocmd

We used the stuck on latch that came with ours till the door opened once. Now we just tie the two handles together while traveling. Hasn't opened since

We tried that and it didn't work while heavily loaded. Had to resort to having a bin in between the couch and freezer to keep it closed.

asherwin

This is what I used for the bottom freezer of our Samsung Residential Refer. I attached one strip on the drawer and another next to it on the cabinet. A third is used to bridge the two and secure the freezer from opening in transit. Repeat on other side. No unwelcome opening in the past year of travels. Upon arrival at destination simply remove the bridge strip.

Attachments

• plastic velcro strips.jpg
    plastic velcro strips.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 22