Questions about roads in Yosemite

MountainTop

It's been a couple of years since we took a long road trip with our MPG183 but we're planning one in October. Yosemite is a main stop for a first time visit. Hoping someone can tell us a little about the entrance road on the west side, coming in from the Reno area. We hope to camp in the valley so would have to cross what looks like some mountainous terrain to get there. Wondering if there are steep grades to navigate. We're experienced in driving mountain highways, but do want to be prepared for the extra load going up steep inclines and the wear on brakes going down. We once had a case of serious smoking brakes going down a long steep grade and don't want a repeat!

And if you have any other tips about Yosemite, feel free to toss those in too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

What are you towing it with ?
Which way are you going ?
You should go in on Hwy 120 and DON'T take Old Priest Grade !!!!!
Hwy 49 down to 120 is all OK but don't take Hwy 49 south beyond 120.

BusManRG

I'm confused. When I think of coming in from Reno I think of entering from the east. But either way, check your road restrictions. We loved camping in Yosemite in our class c, but good chance our new setup will be too long. Tioga Pass from the east is good road, but steep. Do you have an exhaust break?

From the west, what Jerrod said. Hwy 120, NEW Priest grade. Stay off of Old Priest Grade. And again, check length restrictions. You can avoid some of the climb if you go farther south through Mariposa, but (not to sound like a broken record) check length restrictions.

Sandy

wdk450

What are you towing it with ?
Which way are you going ?
You should go in on Hwy 120 and DON'T take Old Priest Grade !!!!!
Hwy 49 down to 120 is all OK but don't take Hwy 49 south beyond 120.

Jess and Mountaintop:
I think they are coming in from the East entrance off of US Hwy 395. That will put you on Hwy 120 Westbound over the Sonora Pass. About 45 miles of driving until you come to Crane Flat (gas station) and the main road to the Yosemite Valley floor with all the sights everyone wants to see. October should be O.K., but early snows can close the Sonora pass until spring. It isn't plowed during the winter. Follow the weather reports, and the daily road conditions within Yosemite, which are on the Yosemite website.

Mountaintop: If you or a family member are over 65 or disabled, there is a lifetime pass to ALL the National parks that is available for $10 at any National Park entrance. This admits your whole carload on the pass, and CAN get you 50% off on campground fees at National parks, National Forests, and Corps of Engineers Lakes/Campgrounds.

As far as the roads, all sorts of big RV's take the roads within the park, they are mostly 2 lane, but can be narrow and winding in parts. You are in the high Sierras.
There are campground length restrictions that may not allow you to camp within the park. Check it out online. There are private campgrounds just outside the North, West and South entrances. The road out of the park West has length restrictions due to landslides a few years back, which required building a "temporary" bridge across the Merced River East of Sonora.

I'm sure others will chime in with more info. BTW The beat time of the year to see Yosemite is in the spring, as the snowmelt makes for more and bigger waterfalls. In the fall (especially with California's drought) many of the smaller waterfalls aren't there.

David-and-Cheryl

We hope to camp in the valley so would have to cross what looks like some mountainous terrain to get there. Wondering if there are steep grades to navigate. We're experienced in driving mountain highways, but do want to be prepared for the extra load going up steep inclines and the wear on brakes going down. We once had a case of serious smoking brakes going down a long steep grade and don't want a repeat!

And if you have any other tips about Yosemite, feel free to toss those in too!

MountainTop: our very first RV trip was in a rented 31' Class C motorhome to Yosemite, and we had a blast. As others have noted, check on length restrictions for the RV sites in the park. I think Upper Pines Campground was the only one open in the winter (we were there in December) that could accommodate that rig, and it was a tight fit.

If you are in fact coming in from the west, I'd suggest Hwy 140 through Mariposa and El Portal, rather than Hwy 120 through Buck Meadows. We came in on Hwy 120, not knowing any better--it's a steep climb with many hairpin turns. Hwy 140 is newer and a bit gentler.

We've been in the mountains of Colorado for almost two months now with our current (and much larger) rig. Like you, I was worried about mountain driving, but as long as you have a capable tow vehicle, it's not a big deal. If your truck has a Tow/Haul mode, be sure to engage it. Going uphill, take your time and downshift if necessary to keep the engine from straining, even if that means you get a lower speed. For downhill grades, be sure you're at or below your target speed before you start downhill. Read your owner's manual and be sure you know how to use your transmission to have the engine do most of the braking. We've driven miles of 6-8% grades, and if you do it right, you barely have to use the brakes at all. We took lessons from RV Driving School, and our instructor taught us that on our F-450, if we engage Tow/Haul mode and set the cruise control at about 5 mph below our desired speed, the truck will manage the speed downhill almost on its own just with the transmission. I was skeptical about this, but I tried it and it works like a charm. If you do have to use the brakes, use brief but very firm pressure on the pedal to slow down quickly, then release the pressure--don't ride with your foot on the brake pedal, or the brakes will get too hot. If you're having to brake a lot, downshift to a lower gear.

Have fun! Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places on this earth!

Grey Ghost

We pulled a Heartland GreyStone up to Yosemite coming up from the south of I-10 in California. We stayed at June Lake and it was beautiful. Had NO problems pulling up to June Lake and the area around there. Good luck and enjoy your trip, very pretty country!!

MountainTop

I originally posted this in the MPG forum so didn't mention that we'll be towing the MPG 183 with our Nissan Pilot that has a tow package. It's hauled us around the country and over mountains on many trips. We're from the west originally, so driving mountain roads isn't scary for us. But we did once have a long descent down a steep grade that was worrisome and we weren't prepared for that. This time we want to be better informed in advance. So thanks for all the helpful info! As someone noted, I was a bit turned around when I asked about approaching from the west via Reno. Originally we were thinking of coming from the EAST through Reno, but still also have the option of coming in the west side after visiting near San Francisco. We still haven't decided for sure about which direction we'll approach from, but most likely it will be from the west. We're looking forward to finally seeing Yosemite, and what better year than the 100th anniversary of our national park system?!