USA RV maps

gpcvg

I see all Rvs with the US map on them and the states that have been visited. We are having a family debate about our RV map and are seeking ideas from more experienced travelers.

The wife says we have to see most of a state before we can place the state sticker on our map. We recently made a 3 week trip up the east side of Wisconsin and down the west side of Michigan. No stickers since we didn’t see most of the state. I say it has to be a destination and staying 2 nights at the campground. My feeling is just because you have the state sticker doesn’t mean that you can’t go back to that state.

What are some of the ideas out there used for placing the sticker on your US RV map? And I do understand that life is much easier if I just agreed with her, so don’t tell her I asked anybody.

IronJ

If we took in something memorable or significant in that state we Mark it off...time is irrelevent...could be a week could be half a day....the map marks not only where out wheels have been but more importantly where MEMORIES were made...

But I have nothing against however anyone does it...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Bones

I mark it as we stay there because we have been there. If you say that you have not seen most of the state then that would kick out a lot of local residents because sometimes most of them haven't even seen their whole state

olcoon

If we spend a night in a state, it goes on the map. Some people add the state if they go through it. Makes no matter how you do it...it's your map! I agree with what Bones said, if you wait until you've seen most of the state, you may never get it on the map, even though you've spent a month or more there. At that rate, you'd never get it done in your lifetime! I've lived in Missouri all my life & there are areas I've never been to, and some I don't want to go to.

IronJ

I mark it as we stay there because we have been there. If you say that you have not seen most of the state then that would kick out a lot of local residents because sometimes most of them haven't even seen their whole state
Yeah...come and visit ALL of texas....lol

I been all over this state and there is still a ton of stuff I haven't seen!..I can leave my house....drive 12hrs south and still be in texas!!...and that's if I go 75mph..lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Westwind

I agree, I don't have one but most folks I talk to that have one, 1 night seems to call for stick the state on.

MCTalley

We put on a state if we've stayed there at least one night. Not necessarily in our RV, though. We flew to Hawaii for our anniversary and stuck it on our map when we got back. Though many people swear by traveling to Alaska in their RV, we've decided on doing a combination cruise and inland bus tour instead. Whenever we do that, we'll stick Alaska on our map.

We thought it was more important that our map showed where we have been since we started full-timing in our RV. If it reflected where either of us had ever been in our entire lives, for example, I think Alaska would be the only state left to put on.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We do one night in a state = on the map. Don't have one on the rig, but do in our signature here on the forum. I've thought about getting a tiny map for our kitties' cat carrier. They've been to 12 states since we got them in 2013!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David-and-Cheryl

A related question: the maps in everyone's forum signatures (like TravelTiger's above)...is there a website that generates those, or are you just manually updating an image?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I mark the state if we've been there with either of the Heartland trailers . . . doesn't matter if we've camped in that state.

I've been to and camped in many many more states . . . but haven't been there with the Heartlands.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My map my rules which are, if we put our feet on the ground in that state me mark it. Our physical presence is all we need.