Super singles

davebennington

No, I don't mean Great looking single women.

I have been considering a set of super singles for my truck. I have heard that they cushion the ride while keeping the stability of duals. Does anyone have a set of these or considering a set?

Dave

crazybanshee

I have heard they do not recomend super singes on single axle trucks. If you have a blowout then you have no safety margin.

HappyKayakers

Dave,
I think the super singles only come in 22.5". So, you're going to swap out your axle? You might also want to look at http://www.ricksontruck.com/index.html
They claim that their 19.5 tires won't require you to make any changes to your towing configuration. They also claim 2 to 4 times the mileage. I don't have any personal knowledge of these tires. They were recommended to me a couple of years ago but I didn't have the money at the time.

Cooper

I have seen super sinles on dually's just this week looks cool. What if you have a blowout on the road how hard is it to find another tire? Keep your dual's

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I have seen super sinles on dually's just this week looks cool. What if you have a blowout on the road how hard is it to find another tire? Keep your dual's

Hard enough finding a 235/80R-17E on the road much less a specialty tire.

I say keep the duals. Unless you are loading your rated weight to the max all the time you can drop air pressure in the duals a few pounds safely, as long as you are not dropping too low for ythe weight you are carrying.

Take spray paint and paint the tread with tires aired up per truck specs posted on the door and your loaded trailer hooked up. Take it for a few mile drive and check the wear on the paint.

If it's just wearing the center you have too much pressure and if it's wearing the edges your pressure is too low. Once you have even wear across the entire tread you have the pressure just right and the truck will ride and handle it's best.

FWI I have tried running all of my tires at 80 PSI for max fuel economy and it rode like Chit and handled like a Duece and a half doing 50 mph on wet pavement... Not a fun ride. Didn't make much difference in economy to be worth it either.

BluegrassMan

I can tell you that on the Big Semi's the single tire is not as stable, even though they haul as much. You can feel it in the cab, once you are used to it you don't think about it again. There is a little roll from side to side that you don't get with duals. I was in a 08' Volvo hauling 80K lbs. with super singles.