Oven Pilot light question

AnnaIvanZ

Can I leave the pilot light lit in the oven after I've used it the first time when we're parked for our camping stay or is this not a smart thing to do? I've never had a gas stove/oven so really don't know the proper protocol for use. I don't use it that much, so re-lighting is not a big problem. I was just wondering if it is better to re-light whenever I want to use it.

We love our Cyclone toy hauler and can't wait till we can spend more time RVing when our home responsibilities aren't "so many". Our 2 grandkids love coming in the RV with Grammy and Grampy. Granddaughter Aleigh is almost 11 and has eternal dibs on the loft. :)

Anna Zettle

danemayer

Hi Anna,

If you're finding it easy to light the stove, and only use it occasionally, I'd just turn it off. But I don't think there's anything wrong with leaving the pilot lit. If it were to go out by itself, the gas flow will stop very quickly. As with home ovens and many other residential gas appliances, there's a thermocouple that has to be kept hot to keep the gas valve open. If the pilot goes out, the thermocouple quickly cools, shutting off the gas flow.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
For the three months we winter in Florida, we turn the pilot on and leave it on with no adverse effects. Otherwise, when traveling and only spending a week or so in one location before moving on, we turn it all the way off and relight it when we need it again (unless I know we are going to use it again the next day or two). Works well for us.