Water Filter Hose/Fittings Leaks

wdk450

Heartlanders:
I have been fighting poor hose connections, leaks, and even pressurized hoses blowing off of the barb fittings on my water filter over the past couple of years. I have tried all sorts of tapes, rubber glues, and dual hose clamps to address the problem of the thinwall white NSF drinking water approved hose being a little too large for the standard 5/8" hose barb fitting on the filters. Yesterday I had a moment of inspiration, and cut off the existing hose end flush with the end of the barb fitting, then forcing the new white hose end over the old end already on the barb fitting. This, along with 2 screw hose clamps, made a tight, non-leaking hose/barb fitting connection. Now time will tell if it blows off. And yes, I use a water pressure regulator set to 65 PSI.

danemayer

Bill,

I've also noticed that it can be difficult to get a water tight connection between braided hose and PEX barb fittings.

I've noticed on Sharkbite type press-on couplers, that some come with an insert/stiffener that is slipped into flexible hoses before pushing the hose onto the coupler. I haven't tried it, but I'm wondering if using one of those Sharkbite couplers with a stiffener on one side and PEX on the other might do the trick. I'll bet if you could permanently fix the problem, $10 for new fittings wouldn't stop you.