Gone camping in Washington State! Any suggestions?

LCowan

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome to this forum. We took our first camping trip in our {new to us} trailer and loved it. We are itching to go more, but because we just recently bought it we didn't have any trips booked ahead which makes it difficult to find a place on spur of the moment. We are starting to book for the fall. What are your suggestions for some great places to try in Western Washington area? Any hidden treasures?:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Crumgater

Any of the state parks. Have you used the WA State Park reservation system yet? It's easy, and I love that they have pictures for nearly every site.

https://washington.goingtocamp.com/WashingtonStateParks?Map

Mossyrock in SW is really nice with lots of options - from hilltop/no trees, to lake-side with trees.
Ocean City in NW if you're looking for a beach location.

Fort Warden is amazing, if you haven't been there yet. (not really a "hidden" treasure). The other forts might have space if Ft Warden doesn't... and probably be just as good, too.

I really don't think I've been to a WA state park that wasn't awesome...

SNOKING

Greyland SP South of Wesport. Lincoln Rock SP on the Columbia, Fort Casey on Whidbey Island, and Steelhead Park in Skagit County to name few. Chris

LCowan

Thanks. We have tried several state parks and we have reservations for Mossyrock soon. Fort Worden is one of our favorite places, but so hard to get into. We want to try a new place each time we go so we will keep Ocean City in mind. We also wouldn't mind trying some private parks. We have been to American Heritage near Olympia a few times and would like to hopefully find some more that we like.

- - - Updated - - -

Chris,
Have not heard of Steelhead Park so I will be looking that up. Thanks for the suggestions. Grayland is another we would like to try.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone....some great ideas!

shelsay

On our recent trip to Washington, we spent three nights at Salt Creek Recreation Area outside Port Angeles. Many long, level sites situated to maximize the outstanding views across the Straits of Juan de Fuca to Vancouver Island. Water and electricity to each site. A few pull through sites (we managed to snag one). Would love to visit it again.

Pat

LCowan

I will definitely check out the Salt Creek Recreation Area near Port Angeles...We would love to stay in that area. Thank you for the info.

Lisa