Considering new truck - questions about GCVWR and going over 26,000 lbs

cgaskins

Hello. I am considering trading my 2011 Ford Super Duty (10,000 lbs GVWR) to 2017 Ford Super Duty. I would like some advice on getting the truck with the 10,000 lbs GVWR or a 11,500 GVWR. My trailer has a GVWR of 15,500. So if I go with the 11,500 version of the Super Duty then I am over the 26,000 GCVWR. I live in Texas. Does going over the 26,000 lbs rating force me to get a commercial driver's license.

Thanks,
Chris

IronJ

Nope...my dually and road warrior are more than that..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

danemayer

Chris,

Texas law does require a lot of us to have at least a non-commercial Class A, but it doesn't seem to be enforced.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If your truck is over 10000 pounds or you are 26001 in combination you will need a non-commercial Class A license. A written test and driving test towing the RV are required.

IronJ

when I renewed my license last year I SPECIFICALLY asked if I needed any additional endorsements in addition to the M endorsement I carry for my bike... They asked if I had a MOTORHOME ...I said no..its a TRAILER...a 5th wheel...the truck is registerd as a non commercial vehicle and so they explicitly TOLD me I could not even get the Class A endorsement if I wanted to with the truck and trailer.???? I showed them the 26001 regulation and they told me I needed to take the cdl testing protocol...I said NO maam I want a NON commercial class a...no air brakes needed either

a few phone calls to Austin and 2hrs later they still tell me No.....I don need it, but I can take the driving tests and written tests if I want a cdl

the person in Austin referred to the form for a non commercial a and said that line 4 specifically states DRIVEN...not towed...and that it was commonly mis understood..

A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use

They told me its a form for a MOTORHOME...not a travel trailer, also that the "skills" portion would require access to and use of a DRIVABLE vehicle that meets the requirement..a small motorhome towing a car would count, but not a truck towing a trailer????

I mentioned I knew of others who had used their truck/trailer to get an a endorsement, and all they said was.....well...we just work here...things happen...

for some reason also that they could not explain, my 2012 srw and 2015 dually are listed as the same gvwr on the TEXAS ISSUED registragion??? I asked them if I could correct it , and they said to call my dealer?

your DMV circus crew may vary..i gave up....

alexb2000

All I can say is that we never used to see DPS or local police stopping pickups pulling goosenecks. Then some aspiring person figured out what a good revenue stream that would be and we're now seeing them stopped routinely even when completely empty. The issue as you pointed out is the tagged weight in combination is easily over 26K in a lot of cases. I know a lot of people that were the recipients of $1200 tickets for towing a 4 tire gooseneck with a 1 ton truck.

I believe the RV's have escaped this due to the bad politics associated with ticketing mostly retired folks going camping, but with tight budgets it will just be too tempting at some point.

I have a Class A CDL and it really wasn't that big a deal to get. If you're going to go through the hassle, why not just get the Class A with air brakes, then you are ready for any size camper:)

Just use one of those CDL rental trucks that are parked around the DPS offices, that with a couple hours of instruction is the easiest way to get it done.

porthole

Retired
Hello. I am considering trading my 2011 Ford Super Duty (10,000 lbs GVWR) to 2017 Ford Super Duty. I would like some advice on getting the truck with the 10,000 lbs GVWR or a 11,500 GVWR. My trailer has a GVWR of 15,500. So if I go with the 11,500 version of the Super Duty then I am over the 26,000 GCVWR. I live in Texas. Does going over the 26,000 lbs rating force me to get a commercial driver's license.

Thanks,
Chris

The ford option between GVW ratings is paper, for registration, insurance, whatever's. The trucks are the same.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Call the DPS office in Livingston TX. They deal with non-commercial Class A licenses all the time because of the Escapees home base there. Many have taken their fifth-wheel/Pickup combination there for their driver's test. Many Driver License offices do not deal with this issue so they are unfamiliar with this issue.

IronJ

All I can say is that we never used to see DPS or local police stopping pickups pulling goosenecks. Then some aspiring person figured out what a good revenue stream that would be and we're now seeing them stopped routinely even when completely empty. The issue as you pointed out is the tagged weight in combination is easily over 26K in a lot of cases. I know a lot of people that were the recipients of $1200 tickets for towing a 4 tire gooseneck with a 1 ton truck.

I believe the RV's have escaped this due to the bad politics associated with ticketing mostly retired folks going camping, but with tight budgets it will just be too tempting at some point.

I have a Class A CDL and it really wasn't that big a deal to get. If you're going to go through the hassle, why not just get the Class A with air brakes, then you are ready for any size camper:)

Just use one of those CDL rental trucks that are parked around the DPS offices, that with a couple hours of instruction is the easiest way to get it done.
Exactly...if and when I decided to revisit this, that is exactly what I'm gonna do...my brother in law offered to let me use his motor home...I asked him about the test and he said "I dunno I never took no test"?..lol...his rig has 290k of ticket free miles. ( including an accident)

Just get the dang cdl and be done with it...

I've never seen or heard of anyone I know getting stopped/ticketed for that...heck let's be real how many of us that have towed OVER the trucks stickered gvwr or gcvwr have ever been stopped or ticketed...I know my srw is often over on both...

The law is the law and I ain't arguing with that....just saying.....

I drive 90 going to Dallas all the time...if I get pulled over I am an adult and I'll pay the lil fine and move on....

Out of curiosity what was the fee for a non commercial a vs a class a cdl??

alexb2000

Out of curiosity what was the fee for a non commercial a vs a class a cdl??

I picked up a copy of the CDL driving manual and studied it for a couple hours and took the written.

Then I rented an old Pepsi truck (automatic) and the owner gave me about 2 hours instruction and brought the truck to the test center for $300. The main reason I say to pay the rental fee is because they teach you how to pass the test in the easiest truck on the road that will give you a class A, combo, w/air. The hardest part is the parallel parking and they make it easy. I watched people fail one after the other, some on their 10th attempt because they couldn't pass the parallel parking. If you touch the curb instant fail or if any tire ends up more than 18" from the curb you fail (they really measure). I had to be at the testing center at 6am and left about 11, I wouldn't be able to spend the time for multiple attempts.

I don't remember the DPS testing fee, but I believe it was less than $100.

I agree just get it done, you never know what the rules or enforcement policies are of the states you drive through.

IronJ

Ahh parallel parking...lol..

When I went to renew my liscense last time they "unbeknownst to me" required that I RETAKE both written and driving exams because my liscense had been expired too long...no big deal...

Oh yeah...I'm up there in a long bed dually lifted truck!!..the dps parallel slots are about the size of a wal mart parking space!!!.

I proceeded to inch back and forth in the spot for what had to be 15 min shaking my head and laughing the whole time.

Finally I told the poor lady I was just gonna stop and move on for her sanity...I could tell she wanted to smile, but just said "I can't give you any advice"....

So in the end I passed, but she gave me a deduction for using the rear view cam and not looking out the back glass (which is tinted dark Black and 8ft in the air!!).

Really?..you can't see close behind you in these newer trucks...

I'll have to get the cdl book for the bathroom library...

danemayer

if any tire ends up more than 18" from the curb you fail (they really measure).
On the parallel parking, in 2010, ending up more than 18" was not an instant fail. I recall it being a -2 deduction from a possible perfect score of 100. It's probably the same today.

My examiner commented that I probably should have practiced more on parallel parking so as to get closer to the curb. I told her I preferred the point deduction to the automatic test failure for hitting a curb. I think I ended up with something like 90/100 on the road test.

My rule: An ugly pass is better than a pretty fail.

alexb2000

I was just doing some refresher reading about the CDL requirements because of this thread and I came across this link that says any trailer over 10K GVWR now requires a Class A.

Wow, I guess that puts basically every 5th wheel in Class A space.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/cve/CDL_a2.htm

I wonder how many people are driving around illegally and don't even know it?

Bohemian

I was just doing some refresher reading about the CDL requirements because of this thread and I came across this link that says any trailer over 10K GVWR now requires a Class A.

Correct, unless there us a state 3xemption for RVs.

Also, GCVWR for licensing purposes is not that specified on yhe truck

It is: GCVWR = GVWR truck + GVWR trailer..

IronJ

But that's only if your towing commercially right?.. ANY trailer over 10k towed in a COMMERCIAL setting ??

Man I need to get the book and see what's new...I inquired in 2012 when I did my reg liscense

alexb2000

But that's only if your towing commercially right?.. ANY trailer over 10k towed in a COMMERCIAL setting ??

Man I need to get the book and see what's new...I inquired in 2012 when I did my reg liscense

I'm no expert, but according to this link ANY trailer with a GVWR over 10K in private use requires either a Class A private license or a Class A CDL. No exceptions for RV's that I could find in Texas.

http://dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

danemayer

Texas Statute:

SUBCHAPTER D. CLASSIFICATION OF DRIVER'S LICENSES

Sec. 521.081. CLASS A LICENSE. A Class A driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or
(2) a combination of vehicles that has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more,
if the gross vehicle weight rating of any vehicle or vehicles in tow is more than 10,000 pounds.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sec. 521.082. CLASS B LICENSE. (a) A Class B driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that is more than 26,000 pounds;
(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more towing:
(A) a vehicle, other than a farm trailer, with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 10,000 pounds; or
(B) a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 20,000 pounds; and
(3) a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more.
(b) For the purposes of Subsection (a)(3), seating capacity is computed in accordance with Section 502.253, except that the operator's seat is included in the computation.

Amended by:
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 161 (S.B. 1093), Sec. 20.017, eff. September 1, 2013.

Sec. 521.083. CLASS C LICENSE. A Class C driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle or combination of vehicles not described by Section 521.081 or 521.082; and
(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds towing a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 20,000 pounds.

rxbristol

On the parallel parking, in 2010, ending up more than 18" was not an instant fail. I recall it being a -2 deduction from a possible perfect score of 100. It's probably the same today.

My examiner commented that I probably should have practiced more on parallel parking so as to get closer to the curb. I told her I preferred the point deduction to the automatic test failure for hitting a curb. I think I ended up with something like 90/100 on the road test.

My rule: An ugly pass is better than a pretty fail.

Sounds like we had the same examiner.

IronJ

Well I was asking the cdl drivers here and thier thoughts and they all said to get the non commercial class a, as with a cdl any tickets you incur stay on the driving record and cannot be deferred...and that WILL impact your insurance rates.....

Something else to consider I suppose...

At least we are getting somewhere definitive!