Extended warranty

Oregon_Camper

Nope....way too much money for my acceptance.

Almost everything that is faulty will break in first year (IMHO)....so you have the warranty for that.

Noofear

Go ahead and cost out some of the repair bills a new refrigerator a new AC unit a new furnace new level up system even the new power reel for your power cord if you have one after checking those out then take a look at your extended warranty and decide if you want to gamble because that's what it is sooner or later stuff is going to break down after year one with anyone's luck like the week after

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

danemayer

As you think about an extended warranty, a couple of things to note.

1. Your 2 year warranty on the Landmark 365 means that your extended warranty coverage doesn't actually kick in until year 3.

2. The fine print is incredibly important. Typical (but not all) extended warranties are intended to primarily cover appliances and exclude many other things in the coach.

3. You also have to take a hard look at deductibles and what terms are to authorize a repair/replacement. You may be required to get a repair quote on a failed appliance. If it costs $600 to repair (not replace), and your deductible is $500, you will get a $100 check that you can apply toward repair or replacement.

alwaysbusy

Hi Route,
Some folks like them, others do not. I do not. On our last coach we did not purchase one, I never regretted not doing so. On our current coach I didn't purchase one either. Extended warranties are not cheap, they are limited and you must read the fine print. In addition, when buying new, most of your big equipment (appliances, etc.) contained within come with an independent manufacture warranty which is typically longer than a year.

Some folks have found them beneficial and I'm sure someone will chime in soon with a great example to give you. IMO and for me only, I prefer not to spend thousands for something I may never need to use. However, should something occur during my ownership that would have been covered by an extended warranty, I'd have to spend a couple grand to exceed the price I would have paid for the extended warranty initially. Like anything else, it's a crap shoot. In addition, when you have one, you must be concerned about exceptions and limitations on coverage. Then there is paying interest on the warranty cost should you decide to finance it. I'm personally just not a fan on several levels.

asherwin

I am one who has purchased an extended warranty and would do so again in a heart beat. It has paid for itself several times over. It provides 6 yr. coverage on all appliances, including generator with $100 deductible. I have used it to replace Nevercold cooling unit three times, for furnace control board, generator breakers, hot water tank bypass valve, Anderson valve, etc.

BusManRG

I am one who has purchased an extended warranty and would do so again in a heart beat. It has paid for itself several times over. It provides 6 yr. coverage on all appliances, including generator with $100 deductible. I have used it to replace Nevercold cooling unit three times, for furnace control board, generator breakers, hot water tank bypass valve, Anderson valve, etc.
Which did you buy? And would it cover structural issues? I know none of them seem to cover electrical.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would look at a Good Sam warranty, but not until the factory warranty expires. Also, don't bite on any sealants or wax offers. $1K for $10 worth of stuff.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Extended warranties for RV's are a RIP OFF!

We bought an extended warranty on our first Heartland product . . . a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 22RK.

When we had an issue 1000 miles away from home when the Trail Runner was 1 1/2 years old with less than 4000 miles on it that left us stranded on our way to an HOC Rally . . . the extended warranty company left us hanging and refused to cover the repair!

Needless to say . . . a bummer of a long awaited vacation!

And then, after haggling with them for months, they offered to pay $150 of the repair bill after we paid the $150 deductable as per the warranty fine print.

The repair bill was over $4000!

I told them to keep their $150 (I actually said much more, but I would get kicked off of this forum if I told you what I really said to the guy on the phone) and the next day cancelled out of the warranty and got the balance of the warranty price from back from them, which we used for the down payment of our new 2015 Heartland Prowler, which we traded in one week to the day after we got it back from the repair shop!

As far as I'm concerned, RV extended warranties are a rip-off designed to make some salesperson's monthly BMW payment!

Needless to say . . . we did not get an extended warranty on our 2015 Heartland Prowler!

Sarge

Looking at a 2016 365 today would you take on the extended warranty?

I negotiated what I thought was a no-brainer price on a 7yr warranty with $100 deductible.

If it doesn't give me a 4 to 1 return over 7 yrs - I'll be shocked...

Sarge

Oregon_Camper

I negotiated what I thought was a no-brainer price on a 7yr warranty with $100 deductible.

If it doesn't give me a 4 to 1 return over 7 yrs - I'll be shocked...

Sarge

Which company is providing the coverage? Which policy/plan do you have? I'd like to do some research on the limitations (if any) on this policy.

Garypowell

When we purchased our 2013 3010 we were at a ver low financial spot so I decided to purchase one from Easy-Care since I did not know, after the standard warrant if we could afford to fix something major. Had never purchase one before over the previous 4 rigs.

This is one has already paid for itself and we are about to go ahead with another problem.

Would I buy again.....not sure. I think this is our last rig so for me it is a mute point.

carl.swoyer

I purchased cornerstone extended warranty. I paid $1800.00. They have paid out over $9000.00 . Never a problem with getting an approved claim , if it works when they inspected it they don't approve it . If it didn't work.. it is approved. Absolutely love cornerstone extended warranty.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Dane pointed out a good point. Your factory warranty expiration date. I purchased my cornerstone extended warranty three days before the factory expired. This allows you to get the savings because you're still covered by the factory but you get the full period on the extended. If I bought the extended at the time I purchased my landmark there would be a 1 year loss on the extended because you are still covered by the factory.. I'm also going to try to extend with cornerstone again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sarge

Which company is providing the coverage? Which policy/plan do you have? I'd like to do some research on the limitations (if any) on this policy.

It is the Horizon "Portfolio Protection" Extended Service Agreement -

With the following optional upgraded coverage: Deluxe appliance / Leveling jacks / Slide outs /Ultra hi-tech / Audio & video - Plus it covers the dealer installed items before delivery such as my rooftop solar system and Winegard auto-satellite.

7 year coverage with a $100 deductable. It allows for mobile techs and pre-pays repairs using their credit system. (Zero out of pocket except for $100)

Apparently CA requires equal pro-rating per month (price divided by months) so I can cancel and get a refund anytime in case of theft/total/trade-in/etc.

At not quite six hundred a year - I figure two major repairs in 7 years and I'm even....

Sarge

Silverstone

Living in Canada, there is a different look at extended warranties with labor costs exceeding $120 an hour.....
And yes. We got one and hope if we really need it, she pays off in no time. Did the same with our 2016 F150 because it covers all parts including brakes. Front discs, pads and labor are around $1,250 a axle at a FORD dealer. I can't imaging to pay out of the pocket maybe a couple repairs down the road with the bills here in Canada. Our sales guy mentioned one or two repairs they would go into $1,000 to $2,000 because of the hours needed to fix it.

Anyway. There are many, many owners who will fix it themselves and do not "waste" a look at extended warranties. I was a car mechanic, did my own repairs on my $500 - $5,000 cars. But I won't do it on a brand new vehicle because I will not void my warranties. And with my luck the last couple of years (2 buy-back actions from Ford with our 2015 Mustang and a 2015 F150 XLT), a extra warranty is well paid for in my case...... :mad: