Tonneau Covers

BigGuy82

For my new F350 dually diesel (2016), I settled on a TruXedo Titanium. This is just a short, bulletized write up:

• expensive - around $900 depending where you purchase
  • heavy - I didn't bother to weigh it, but if you watch the install video at RealTruck, you might be fooled into thinking that putting this thing on and taking it off is some sort of one man piece of cake. Wrong!
  • secure. When unrolled, it is a very solid aluminum cover that looks no different than a fabric cover
  • installation was as promised - easy (with the exception of being much easier if someone helps you lift this monster onto the rails). The rails bolt on each side in three places with just a 1/2" socket needed. A couple of large spring clamps are helpful to hold the rail in place while you tighten the first bracket.
  • perfect fit - the rails and the cover really are very precision pieces. If you follow the instrcutions, everything falls into place precisely
  • easy to use - cover rolls up and unrolls very easily. Two straps are used to secure it in the rolled position
  • the fit is absolutely perfect and the cover is extremely strong - I think that you copuld load this thing with 3' of wet snow and not have any worries about failure
  • the gasket/seal system is superb - it passed my hose test by keeping the bed dry as a bone
  • looks great when covering the bed. When it is in the rolled position, the roll is very large and not very good looking.
  • like every TruXedo product I've ever owned, very high material and bnuild quality.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my choice. Hope you find this useful if you are in the markey for a cover.

Erreich

Is that for a 8' bed or 6'?? Would you be able to measure the distance the roll sets back from the cab? I have a below the bed rail RDS tank/toolbox with and 8' bed and have wondered if I can still open the toolbox. Also what is the dimension that the rail protrudes into the bed?

Thanks in Advance.

Eric

BigGuy82

Is that for a 8' bed or 6'?? Would you be able to measure the distance the roll sets back from the cab? I have a below the bed rail RDS tank/toolbox with and 8' bed and have wondered if I can still open the toolbox. Also what is the dimension that the rail protrudes into the bed?

Thanks in Advance.

Eric

8' bed. Don't know about the measurements, although it didn't interefere with the opening of my WeatherGuard below rail toolbox. However, the lid on that doesn't open to a 90 degree vertical. I'll try to get to it tomorrow and get back to you.

BigGuy82

Thanks in Advance.

Eric

Here's the measurements - each rail protrudes into the bed 2 1/2". The roll size is 11" from the back window to the widest part of the roll.

Crumgater

We went with the BackFlip... I don't think we ever saw this one, it definitely would have been in the running. Looks great!
Does it lock closed if you lock the tailgate? (the backflip does - you have to open the tailgate to release the top hinges).

BigGuy82

Thank you. That's quite a bit larger than a soft tonneau roll.

Yes it is, but my WeatherGuard toolbox lid still clears it. Also, it you don't need a hard cover for security or other reasons, then save the money and go with a soft one.

- - - Updated - - -

We went with the BackFlip... I don't think we ever saw this one, it definitely would have been in the running. Looks great!
Does it lock closed if you lock the tailgate? (the backflip does - you have to open the tailgate to release the top hinges).

Yes. When the tailgate is locked, you have a secure environment - metal all around your cargo. In order to break in, a filthy, low life criminal (I don't like criminals) would have to jimmy the tailgate.

IronJ

I've had several and they all have their pros/cons

My current setup is bak flip wirh the collapsable toolbox (bak box)

I like the drain rails that use tubes to drain water off the bed cover to the outside of the box.

The tool box works well and it can be folded out of the way if you need the full bed length (like when I load my dirt bikes.

My bed is rhino lined , and then I have a bed rug over that and led lights under the rails....

It's works as a GIANT, secure, padded, and weather proof trunk when the trailer is not hooked u...

The reg g2 model is aluminum and can dent easy so I opted for the pricy f1 model on this truck wirh the box it's about $1300 tho...so there are definantly cheaper options that do the same dang thing....

I would not go soft simply because I like the semi-secure nature of the hard covers

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Nbomar

I did the backflip on my last truck and didn't like that I couldn't see the actual hitch. With it laying flat (stacked 3 high) it blocked the view and it obviously blocked it with it folded up on the back window. I have a pace Edwards roll and lock on this truck. It has its cons also... if you don't live the rails consistently it gets hard to slide in and out. It is an aluminum cover though that locks so it creates a secure environment when closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
My Flip back on the Ram is also aluminium and with the factory bed cam and back up cam in my 16 RAM, I have no problems seeing the Anderson Hitch in the bed when hooking up!

IronJ

I did the backflip on my last truck and didn't like that I couldn't see the actual hitch. With it laying flat (stacked 3 high) it blocked the view and it obviously blocked it with it folded up on the back window. I have a pace Edwards roll and lock on this truck. It has its cons also... if you don't live the rails consistently it gets hard to slide in and out. It is an aluminum cover though that locks so it creates a secure environment when closed.

yep....same here with the cover in flipped back position I cant see the hitch head....

originally I was using my go pro and watching on my phone as I backed up (assuming I didn't have a spotter)

got tired of that so when I replaced the 3rd brake light with the recon light, I put a cam in the shroud looking down at the hitch and since my in dash sync is lokpicked I can just switch to the "bed cam" and see no problem....

but honestly the rear fenders line up EXACTLY with the side of the trailer, so I can back it up easy peasy cam or not anyway...

and then I still end up getting out to adjust the trailer , as the lippert 6 point never gets the height right when I use the "re hitch" function...LOL

Pirana

I know Im showing off here....:) but after owning a BakFlip for 5 years I wanted something different for my new F350 so I went with a roll back unit...and Im very happy with the Retrax unit! Expensive but extremely well build and solid!

20160713_121353_zpsr7m2nsqq.jpg

Nbomar

I know Im showing off here....:) but after owning a BakFlip for 5 years I wanted something different for my new F350 so I went with a roll back unit...and Im very happy with the Retrax unit! Expensive but extremely well build and solid!

Agreed. I switch from the back flip to the pace Edwards. It's the same as the retrax. I didn't like spending the money but like it more than the back flip. Nice truck.

IronJ

I don't like having to manually flip the bak flip...

I do like that it takes up ZERO bed space when up (it does Block the back window)

I LOVE the folding tool box under the front (bak box)

I think the fiberglass coated aluminum is probably more durable..I've had 2 rollers that were aluminum and both had hail dents after a few storm's (marble size hail) ...doesn't affect performance but looks bad...

The bakflip don't self lock/latch when flipped up...you have to strap it down (my biggest gripe)

My father in law loves it....so he may be getting it and I may be going back to a "lazy mans" button operated roller...lol

The bakflip cover gets REAL hot in the west tx sun!!..it's a pain (literally!!!) To flip it sometimes...

Price is negligible...actually I think a roller is cheaper. I can pick up an electric pace Edward's from my builder (at his cost) for bout 1200$...

Your truck looks great pirana!! Gotta have love for my Platty super duty brothers out there!!

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JWONA

Have you ever had any issues with your king pin box contacting the bed rails during sharpe turns? I live on a cul de sac and have to turn around very sharpe and I am concerned that it may make contact. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I am looking to do the same thing. Do you every make very sharpe turns? I live on a cul-de-sac and have to turn my truck very sharpe and I am worried about clearance with he bed rails and the king pin box. Any help would be great. Nice rig by the way.

Pirana

I've done 90° turns....that's as far as I've turn it...but doesn't even come close to touchung at that point.

Gaffer

Who are you asking?

The OP. BigGuy with the TruXedo and independent toolbox. My tool box is similar to this. I wonder if a roll-up will give me enough access without moving the box back from the cab a bit.
092607_boxes_026.jpg

Last edited: