Oakmont - adding 2nd ac

dickeymt

Greetings all. My wife and I recently purchased a 2016 Oakmont 39MBL with only single 15K BTU A/C NOTE -we have lever on the A/C unit closed so that is ducted and not straight down.. We have been out in it about 4 times. We live in Michigan which is typically not very hot. First weekend we were out, we had no shade and it was 95 and A/C could not keep up. We figured it was due to all the windows and no shade. This past weekend, we were under full shade and it was ovecast. Temp was 90-92 with high humidity. A/C could again not keep up. It allowed the main living room to be tolerable (maybe 78-80) but bedroom was HOT. Placing hands up to the bedroom A/C vents you can barely discern any cool air coming out. We have an appointment on Friday to have the A/C checked at the dealer (and the black tank valve - gross other story). We are looking at possibly adding a 2nd A/C unit to the bedroom. I spoke with customer service, but they can't tell if my unit was wired/framed for 2nd A/C. Also, speaking with the dealer, they are suggesting a Dometic 1100 low profile. So i have a few questions:

1) any knowledge/history on pre-wiring/framing/ducting for 2nd A/C on Oakmont?
2) any specific reason for low profile up front? they are more expensive
3) any reason not to choose full profile up front ( rear is full profile).

I can save about $250 by going with full profile. i thought i saw comments elsewhere that full profile was quieter -but that may be backwards.

Mark & Bille (+3kids, 2 cats, and one coming soon puppy)
2016 Oakmont 39MBL
2004 Ram 2500 5.9L Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4 - 435K miles

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Mark and Bill, welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. A great place to gather and share information.
It sounds like your AC is running like I it should. With one unit you can expect about 10 to 15 degrees below the outside to temp.

You can check for second AC wiring by looking for a breaker marked either bedroom AC or second AC.
I would opt for a 13,500 BTU unit. It's common to see full profile units in today's RVs.
We live in Wisconsin and have a Lo Pro in front, it is noisy but usually it is on only during the day.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Look at your roofline. On most 5th wheels, the highest point is in the front. Adding a full profile A/C unit in front raises the highest point of the roof. So before you do that, you might want to hitch up and find a level parking lot where you can measure the actual height as you'll be towing. Then you can decide if you want to add the additional height of a full profile unit.