Coby Surround Sound and Heat

jimtoo

I have a question about the Coby units. Has anyone noticed how much heat they put out? We are not into lots of sound, but I did hook my TV up to the Coby unit to get the speaker of the TV out of my ear while I was at the computer desk. I opened the upper cabinet where the Coby unit is and had my Directv receiver on the Coby. It was so hot that I could hardly touch them. Has anyone else noticed the amount of heat being excessive from the Coby unit?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We don't have the Coby, we have the Zenith and it gets pretty warm in there too. I've been procrastinating for a long time about drilling a 3" hole in the base of both shelves of our entertainment center and installing an exhaust fan in the top cabinet and draw out the warm air through the outer wall using a vent like the chrome dryer vent. I'm sure it would help increase the lifespan of the electronics.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We had a similar experience on this months trek but it was with the nomad controller heating up on top of the direct tv controller. now that we are home motosat is sending the replacement unit. u shoulda seen that satellite going around for 2 hours looking for a signal.

Shadowchek

Amplifiers in general are heat producing machines. there is no way around it the more powerful the amp the hotter it will get. All we can do is crack the door or figure out some way to ventilate that area like you said.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
You can cut down on some of the heat load by seperating the components. You'd be amazed at the difference some spacers will make.

ChopperBill

You can cut down on some of the heat load by seperating the components. You'd be amazed at the difference some spacers will make.
I made some spacers out of 1 x 2's and covered them with that rubber shelf material. Seemed to make a difference in heat and it also got the receivers up in the air so my remote control would work through the glass better. When we are going to use the entertainment stuff for long I just open the door.