Valve Stem Extenders

BigGuy82

Just looking for specific sources for 2016 Ford F350 Diesel Dually valve stem extenders - for ALUMINUM wheels. Where did you find them and what length did you get?

Thanks in advance.

hoefler

While my truck is a Ram, I have the same situation. I had the 6" extensions on my inner's, caused a vibration that could not be balance out. Aslo, the cintrifical force on it would mar the outer wheel. I found a straight head chuck to check/air the inner dual. I also fashioned a tool out of 3/8 fuel line and 3/8 brake line to remove/install the cap.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Just looking for specific sources for 2016 Ford F350 Diesel Dually valve stem extenders - for ALUMINUM wheels. Where did you find them and what length did you get?

Thanks in advance.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Some hints with the Ford rims.

You can set your wheel valve stems approximately 180 degrees apart. Because there are 5 slots and not 6, you have to try 2 different stud locations. One will give you no access and and one will give you access, off centered in the slot.

Depending on how big your hands are, you may be able to squeeze your hand in and remove valve stem caps. Or, use flow through caps. I have TPMS sensors on my wheels, so I have to remove the sensor to air up. I can get my hand in the slot to do this.

If you don't use extensions you need 2 different chuck angles to air up the wheels easily. 1 straight chuck and 1 30 degree chuck.

I used extensions for awhile, but once I found my method to air up, I removed the extensions.
Mine were 6" braided stainless steel that I put a piece of clear tubing over to protect the wheels.
I did not secure the hoses to the rims and even with TPMS sensors installed I had no problems with this.

I also made up some fill adapters from spare parts including some lock on valve stem fill valves and 1/4" plastic hose I had.

Attachments

• DRW_tire fill_2.jpg
    DRW_tire fill_2.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DRW_tire fill_1.jpg
    DRW_tire fill_1.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 58
  • valve_stem_extension.jpg.JPG
    valve_stem_extension.jpg.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 59
I also looked into the extensions awhile back. But came to the same conclusion that there would be a wheel balance issue plus it's just one more thing that could leak.
My 2015 ram has tire pressure info. I can look at a screen with all six tire pressures. I no longer wrestle to check inner rear wheel tire pressures.
There seems to be a few tire pressure monitors available with in the wheel sensors. That might be an option. I use the tst 507 tire pressure sensors on the Rv and the sensors are easily removed from the side of the wheel

2010 Ram 3500 HD traded in for new 2015 3500 HD DRW mega cab with 3.42 gears
I haven't hooked up yet, we'll see how it pulls with 17" wheels. (Pulls great !)
2014 Cyclone 3100
G614 Goodyears
Good Sam gps
Trimark keyed alike
Xantex 2000 watt inverter "Inverter Service Center"
Blue Sea System toggle source selector
L.E.D. running lights
Quadra Bigfoot levelers
Dexter wet bolts
Boyo wireless backup camera
EMS-HW50C
TST 507RV
Smittybuilt air compressor
Splendide 2100XC
26k Husky hitch
Mor Ryde pin box
6-volt 240 AH batteries
Added dinette
Replaced L.E.D. tail lights with Leading Edge Trailer light bars (made in the US)

rxbristol

What exactly are you trying to do?

Some hints with the Ford rims.

Mine were 6" braided stainless steel that I put a piece of clear tubing over to protect the wheels.

I use the braided ones as temporary extensions. I remove the cap, attach the braided extensions, air up, and then remove it. Makes the job so much easier.

travlingman

On my Ford dually, you don't have to remove the valve caps to air the tires. They are flow through from the factory. They don't look it, but they are. Next time, put your pressure gage on one and check it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You can also get the metal flow-through valve caps at a NAPA auto parts store. Call first to see if they have them in stock, or they can order them and have them quickly.

Bones

OK - based on the info I got here and some further research, here's my solution to airing up Ford 350 duallies.

1. If your truck does not have flow through stem caps, go to Amazon and buy them. Alligator V2B Inflate Through Valve Stem Cap "Gator" Auto RV Semi (10 Pack)

2. Go to Snap On Tools and order one of these: https://store.snapon.com/Product-Details-Digital-Tire-Pressure-Gauge-Inflator-Blue-Point--P771993.aspx

Done.

That gauge is angled on both. You need a straight and angled chuck.

BigGuy82

I use this gauge and adapters, along with a few I made up myself. I also had the gauge made up with a 2' hose instead of the 6'. That cut the price a bit along with an email coupon.

- - - Updated - - -

You can get to both inner and outer factory stems with a single air chuck?

Yup. Might have something to do with the vintage of the wheels. Mine are the 2016 cast aluminum wheels - I see you have a 2011 and don't mention if they are aluminum. As suggested by Bones, a straight chuck would not work on the inside wheel as the stem is angled down slightly. The only thing that would help is a longer chuck - it would be easier to press the chuck onto the stem. I'm ordering one.

porthole

Retired
I have the original aluminum wheels, complete with the corrosion around the valve stems and a set of 2016 wheels, they are all the same.

BigGuy82

I have the original aluminum wheels, complete with the corrosion around the valve stems and a set of 2016 wheels, they are all the same.

Then I don't have a clue as to why you need to use adapters. Could the stems be different? Maybe different angles?

Bones

I use one air chuck. this one. For both inner and outer tires

Milton straight chuck.jpg

Attachments

• Milton straight chuck.jpg
    Milton straight chuck.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 14