Sliding Shelves

Buckeye

Has anyone put sliding shelves in their kitchen pantry? If so how did it go, where did you get them from, and how tough was the installation? Thanks

hoefler

I custom made pull out draws to fit the cabinet, the drawer slides is the expensive part, and an afternoon to fabricate.

Buckeye

Did you mount the drawer slides on the sides or bottom of the shelf? I have concerns about mounting on the sides with the thin walls.

Garypowell

No matter which way you go if you are concerned about the strength you could us a 1/4 stained piece of plywood to attach first (glue and some positive bolt like the toggle ones) to fortify the side wall.

My main suggestion is to have some way to hold them in place while traveling. I don't ever pull that one of my drawers does not open in the kitchen. Not a big problem as they all face each other. But if your cabinet is "open" to the unit and those shelves are full of stuff it could easily push the doors open and cause a real mess.

hoefler

I used 100 pound rated slides that mount on the sides. They are behind cabinet doors, we secure the doors when we travel and haven't had ay issues with it coming open.

Buckeye

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking I may mount the drawer slides on the bottom of the pantry shelves. It seems this would be the strongest part of the shelf. I found a website named " Shelves that Slide" that I may order from as they are already pre-made. Thanks again.