Faulty water pump diaphram

beardedone

Beardedone
We just picked up our new Augusta and the first night out we ran into a problem. We hooked up for the night and in the morning I noticed water coming out of the fresh water tank, but I didn't fill it up as I was hooked up to city water. I called the dealer as we were already on the way home and they thought the water pump diaphram was shot and allowing water to cross over into the tank. I disconnected the city service and we used the tank only for the next five days. Do you agree with this diagnoses? I will take the pump out myself and go in to exchange it if so.

thanks,

Gerry & Rose

SmokeyBare

Gerry,

Sorry you've run into trouble so soon after you picked up your new Augusta.

I've been trying to understand what's happening.... Seems that IF the the water pump diaphragm failed... it couldn't work at all....

Seems to me the diaphragm is what makes the water pump to actually move the water from the fresh water tank into the RV's plumbing pipes. You said: "I Disconnected the City Service and we used the tank only for the next five days" Which tells me the pump must have been pumping water for those 5 days...

I'd first start looking at the valves in the Docking Station.... Maybe one was in a wrong position and is allowing the water to discharge under the RV.... I'm only taking a guess... Hope you find a simple solution.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not to disagree with Marv but the dealer is correct. When hooked up to city water, the diaphragm in the water pump actually prevents back flow into the fresh water tank while hooked up to city water. The pump diaphragm acts as a check valve. I had the exact same thing happen to ours. Shurflo sent us a new pump and the problem was solved. The initial problem was our pump would not shut off which caused us to think we had a leak. Turns out it would build pressure and turn off briefly then allow the pressure back to the tank. You can also close the valve on the line between the pump suction side and the tank to prevent the backflow until you get a new pump.

SmokeyBare

Thanks Ray....

Shows What I knew... :)

I always have room to learn a few new things... I appreciate learning this..

Marv

L'l John

I can confirm what Ray stated in his reply. Right down to the suggestion to close off the valve from the fresh water tank to the pump, while using campground water supply.
Exact same thing happened to me. At the 07 Rally in In Goshen, Recreational Specialties changed out my pump, fixed the problem.

cjbearden

Visitor
Before we picked up our new Augusta, the diaphragm failed also. Dealer replaced with a high efficiency Shurflo 5.9. Works great!

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks for the reply Ray. Is this the valve you speak of near the water pump and if I close it then will that allow the city water to run normally? We are going to help move our daughter in a couple of days and I don't know if city water is available anyway but it would be nice to know.
thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the reply Ray. Is this the valve you speak of near the water pump and if I close it then will that allow the city water to run normally? We are going to help move our daughter in a couple of days and I don't know if city water is available anyway but it would be nice to know.
thanks
If you look at the pump, there is a "screen filter" on the inlet side. Follow this white hose till you get to a ball valve. Turn it 90 degrees and that will prevent water inadvertantly filling your fresh water tank when hooked up to city water. If you don't have city water available, fill your tank and open the valve to use the water from the tank.

Marv, I'm still learning too:D.

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks Ray. I will do that in a couple of days when we go to move my daughter. (We are retired, so now we are busier then ever)
Gerry