Moldings (Trim) Woodgrain Paper Peeling

mrphyalc

Any ingenious methods for repairing peeling woodgrain paper on the interior door moldings? The peeling/cracking is most prominent closer to the floor...not attractive at all!! Is this humidity related? I cannot seem to find anyone else complaining of this problem.

dlw930

We had problems with the wood grain paper peeling in our previous rig. It was also next to the floor and definitely caused by water and moisture. My suggestion would be to find contact paper that matches the wood grain as closely as possible to repair the damaged area, assuming the wood trim piece is still sound. Otherwise you will need to replace the trim piece as well. You might call Heartland Customer Support ((877) 262-8032) with your VIN to see if matching replacement trim might be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrphyalc

Thank you for the reply. Bought this unit used about 15 months ago with no indication of such a problem. Since we have owned the Cyclone, there has been no water issues whatsoever, but we do live in a high humidity area. Our unit was garaged during winter (about 5.5 months) but remains outside rest of year. Really surprised how cheaply this trim was done and how extensive the peeling/cracking is. The wood trim does not appear to be damaged (is that wood or particleboard?), just the wood grain paper looking shredded and coming off. We will definitely try the contact paper route per your suggestion.

Thanks again

Bones

Thank you for the reply. Bought this unit used about 15 months ago with no indication of such a problem. Since we have owned the Cyclone, there has been no water issues whatsoever, but we do live in a high humidity area. Our unit was garaged during winter (about 5.5 months) but remains outside rest of year. Really surprised how cheaply this trim was done and how extensive the peeling/cracking is. The wood trim does not appear to be damaged (is that wood or particleboard?), just the wood grain paper looking shredded and coming off. We will definitely try the contact paper route per your suggestion.

Thanks again
It is MDF type pressed board

brianlajoie

I had this problem when I spilled water on the master room rug. The trim soaked it up. I had it replaced at the national rally. It is very easy to pop off the trim and install new trim. Feel the floor around the trim to see if any water is left.

farside291

We have it also, I was assuming it was caused from cleaning the floor. I am going to try one of the stain touch up pens of the right color.

brianlajoie

My trim split 6 inches up the wall. It was like a sponge. We happened to be going to the factory and picked up trim. Then at the rally, the factory team replaced all 3 trim pieces in about 10 mins.

mlpeloquin

If you replace, use 18ga finish nails. It seems that is what is used everywhere in my rig. The length can be determined by carefully removing one from the existing trim piece. We just had the large slide trim pull off. Packed up and loaded the fifth wheel in 30 minuets do to a mandatory fire evacuation. The cabinet next to the slide opened up while traveling do to the way it was packed. The slide trim caught on the door knob when I opened the slide. Pulled the fasteners out carefully using a needle nose pliers. Straightened one out, measured the length, and then purchased a 18ga pneumatic finisher nailer. The door survived and the knob was slightly bent and straightened out. You can predrill a hole smaller, use a standard finish nail, a nail set, and then fill the hole with colored wax pencil. i did not want to do this method for such a large piece.