Problems with 3M sticky hooks on walls

MEDEL514

So I've installed a bunch of the 3M sticky hooks on my Edge M22 in many places such as the kitchen cubboard, walls for jackets, and bathrooms.

They worked great at first but the hooks I put on the wooden cubboards won't stick for longer than a few weeks before falling off (not overloaded), and the ones affixed to a wall paper area will not support much weight before peeling off the wall paper from the wall. The hook sticks to the wall paper but the wall paper doesn't stick to the wall.

I was wondering if I could put a self tapping screw into the hook and wall to secure it better, but I'm afraid to punch through the wall outside.

Any suggestions appreciated!

IronJ

Yeah I noticed that I'n my toy hauler garage..the light brown exterior walls were fine...on the darker interior walls all my jackets were on the floor with the hook and a bubble in the wallpaper where I once stuck them...I'm sure a screw would help, but the wall is pretty thin..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We can't use the Command Strips in our Prowler, either.

They stay up for maybe a day, then fall off and cause a bubble in the wallpaper.

I'm not sure, but I think it is because the dealership put some kind of Scotchgard type protective coating all over everything inside the trailer, and the Command Strips don't like it.

We used them all over the place in our previous Heartland Trail Runner and never once had one fall off.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've found the clear ones do not hold as well as the white foam ones.

But we have also had issues with them sticking for a very short time to the wood paneling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEDEL514

Yes the wood paneling is the worst! I made a shelf in the kitchen cubboard held up by four 5 lbs sticky hooks, but they keep falling off.
A screw no more than an 1" long. Remember the plywood is very thin.
I may just try that, I saw in another post someone posted a chunk of wall material showing about an inch of Styrofoam between the inner paneling and outer wall. An inch long screw should be safe, but how well would it hold on these flimsy wooden interior walls?

mlpeloquin

Well add up the weight for drywall and labor for tape, mud, sanding, texturing, and painting. You would not want the weight or the greatly added labor it would take. The cost would be astronomical. It takes less than five days to build one fifth wheel from scratch and get it into exterior paint. Add another three to four days using fast setting mud and how much more would a fifth wheel cost? I bet you would not pay it. Now how much would you complain about using drywall, tape, and mud with the continuous cracking of the joints and drywall going over the SMOOTH US HIGHWAYS. Trailers are not stick and brick for a reason.

Mizmary

We had that scotchguard stuff sprayed in ours. MOST 3M hooks (after 4 years) now stick to the walls, but I had to spray with windex and scrub the area with a scratcher first. I cannot get those nifty plastic spice containers to stick with any kind of reliability to the inside of my cabinets no matter what I do. :( I'm disappointed by this - I would love to get them out of the drawer they are in without taking up space.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
As with any adhesive, if there is any type of dirt or oily residue, the adhesive will not work at all or fail quickly. I use denatured alcohol (test on an isolated area first to see that it doesn't ruin anything) to clean and 'promote' the area I want to put my 3M hangars and hooks.