Window Etching

BigGuy82

So on my new Ford F350, I etched the windows with the VIN, using the Vinguard system. Supposedly deters theft because the car stealing scum can't peddle the vehicle or the parts as easily and it sounded right to me, so I did it. The theory is that if they see etched glass, they move on to a more lucrative target. The process is very simple and it doesn't take long - I work slow and the whole thing took less than an hour from the time I opened the box.

But now, here's the most exciting part - my insurance company gave me a whopping $11/yr discount! That certainly made it all worth while for me - I'm taking that money and splurging tomorrow - a DOUBLE Quarter Pounder w/cheese meal plus a shake and an apple pie. It just doesn't get any better!

On the serious side, maybe this will stop some scum from stealing my truck.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Always keep your tailgate locked.

One of the Denver TV stations did a news story awhile back about a ring of thieves stealing truck tailgates as they are easy marks for theft, and a most needed part by auto body shops!

I keep mine locked unless I am doing something back there . . .

BigGuy82

Always keep your tailgate locked.

One of the Denver TV stations did a news story awhile back about a ring of thieves stealing truck tailgates as they are easy marks for theft, and a most needed part by auto body shops!

I keep mine locked unless I am doing something back there . . .

Good tip and you are right on the money - the tailgate is the first to go - we have a similar problem in this neck of the woods. I have a Truxedo Titanium bed cover and I always lock the gate, so I've got a "hard" box all around.

The other items Vinguard includes in their kit are ultraviolet VIN tags. These attach to the inside edges of the tailgate, doors and hood and are easily read. After a few weeks, the UV vin "migrates" into the paint and so can be read with a UV light for the life of the truck, even if the tag is removed. Doesn't stop theft but may help the cops locate a stolen part, allowing them to shut down a chop shop. Also, I'm thinking a thief who is familiar with Vinguard may view this as yet another reason to move on.

If they really want it, they're going to get it, but that doesn't mean we have to make it easy for them!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Ram dealer had a program years ago with window etching way back when I had my 04...the number on the etching was not the vin but some other ?? number that was to be entered into a data base....USAA gave also me a $10 discount at that time....
Would I do it again...no....$100 for the etching for a $10 discount! Humm

So what would keep a chop shop or anyone from continuing to part your Truck and just leaving out the windows in the parts? I just don't see how etching will accomplish anything, but hey, if it works in some areas great.

avvidclif

My factory tailgate is in my storage building. They can have that ragged "V" tailgate if they want it. I've hit it going and coming. Not pretty but works.

BigGuy82

Ram dealer had a program years ago with window etching way back when I had my 04...the number on the etching was not the vin but some other ?? number that was to be entered into a data base....USAA gave also me a $10 discount at that time....
Would I do it again...no....$100 for the etching for a $10 discount! Humm

So what would keep a chop shop or anyone from continuing to part your Truck and just leaving out the windows in the parts? I just don't see how etching will accomplish anything, but hey, if it works in some areas great.

Most dealer installed "options" are highly inflated margin builders (by the way, if you got it for$100, you did good. A lot of these guys are at $200+)

I did it myself - kit cost 30 bucks, it worked perfectly and was very easy to do. The windows and other identified parts are worth big bucks - theory is that if they are going to steal something, they will see your ID's and move on to one that is more profitable. Plus, if any business gets caught with any ID'd parts, they are subject to being charged and even closed down based on the fact they are selling hot parts so they are going to reject everything that is ID'd. Law enforcement endorses this as an effective technique - in fact, some jurisdictions do it as a public service. Finally, the insurance companies think it's a deterrent - they should know. In short, it is a recognized deterrent.

So, back to your point - $30 for a $10 annual discount (payback 3 yrs). Would I do it again? Yup. If it reduces by any amount the possibility of my $65,000 truck being stolen, $30 is chump change.

PS - mine uses the VIN, not a registry number

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just me thinking here, but if I were to steal a $65,000 truck, with hoods, doors, interiors and more, I would not be deterred by a couple of numbers etched in a $400 windshield.
In fact I doubt that the bad guy will bother to look for anything. It will be grab and gone.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Mostly a dealer applied worthless option.

Vehicles are already equipped with "secret locations" of VIN numbers. And with all the anti theft times available, the Mercedes, Audis, BMW's etc still get lifted on a regular basis.
But, if the insurance company gives a decent discount, go for it.

BigGuy82

Just me thinking here, but if I were to steal a $65,000 truck, with hoods, doors, interiors and more, I would not be deterred by a couple of numbers etched in a $400 windshield.
In fact I doubt that the bad guy will bother to look for anything. It will be grab and gone.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

Maybe, but as I said, we are talking 30 bucks - chump change - you can drop that on coffee for four at a Starbucks. Maybe only one thief ever eyes my rig and maybe this deters him. Was it worth it? Law enforcement and the insurance companies agree it can help. So I guess I'll go back to the time worn phrases - "penny wise and pound foolish" AND "it can't hurt" ...

Just throwing it out there.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You live in NY, so they probably wont head for Mexico. Here in Socal...in 1 hour your truck would be in Mexico....never to be seen again. Eched glass, VIN#'s wont matter their.

BigGuy82

You live in NY, so they probably wont head for Mexico. Here in Socal...in 1 hour your truck would be in Mexico....never to be seen again. Eched glass, VIN#'s wont matter their.

Excellent point. Here in Western NY, if they head for the Canadian border, they will be stopped at Customs and politely asked if they have any contraband (especially those evil "weapons"). They will then be allowed to proceed but most crooks elect not to do this because the wait at the border can last forever :rolleyes:

wdk450

I have heard that a lot of the stolen vehicles get driven into cargo containers ASAP, then shipped overseas.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Told my dealer I was not paying for it since I didn't ask for it to be done. Said they do it as a courtesy to all vehicles. Told him I was not paying for something I didn't want and they took it off. Like $200 but it was the principle of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Maybe, but as I said, we are talking 30 bucks - chump change - you can drop that on coffee for four at a Starbucks. Maybe only one thief ever eyes my rig and maybe this deters him. Was it worth it? Law enforcement and the insurance companies agree it can help. So I guess I'll go back to the time worn phrases - "penny wise and pound foolish" AND "it can't hurt" ...

Just throwing it out there.

Man, I wish I could say $30 was chump change.

Anyways.......that would not even phase the crooks around here. The new thing is to steal your truck, then run it over to the nearest minimart. Throw a block through the front door. Tie a chain around the ATM machine and pull it right through the store and out the front door. Then they ditch the truck in a lake or corn field.

Kbvols

I had a brand new 1992 Silverado (1500 miles) on it that was stolen while I was at work. I was working at a store location hooked to a mall at the time . Went to lunch no truck. I think I walked most of the parking lot before I came to terms it was stolen. I was fortunate the police had found the truck after a few days with minimal damage. While I got the truck back they got away a brand new pair of swim trunks and a bottle of booze I bought for vacation.

After that I put security systems in a few of the vehicles I owned but eventually stopped .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk